didigital stylus pressure gauge

Hello Friends

I have a digital stylus pressure gauge, but when I check, the stylus pressure, it keeps giving me different readings, even after calibration, I tried it with out the TT mat, and still gives me different readings, I'm not sure if it is faulty, any thoughts??, I'm thinking about going back to a analog one, any suggestions on a trustworthy brand??

Many Thanks

David

I purchased one of these from Hong Kong  for $9.97

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vesion-Professional-LP-Turntable-Stylus-Force-Pressure-Gauge-Scale-Gauge-/391717723315?hash=item5b34321cb3:g:~roAAOSw~AVYtsc~

Did not come with the two batteries so that was a few more dollars.

It worked fine and established that the scale on my tonearm was correct so I did not have much use for it after that.

image.png.536210f7062f5886d5876ba0efa4a7b1.png

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 5:38 PM, metal beat said:

ortofon ds-3

ds3_jpg2.jpg?height=600&quality=80

Too thick for correct VTA.....will give incorrect weight, unless you pack it up to same level as platter mat with record in place (or is that what that metal cover thingy is for?). My advice to @daveyonthecoast  is firstly check your gauges accuracy with supplied 5g weight and if OK just set the VTF once and stop redoing it....it'll do you're head in!:P Just trust the first reading. I actually do listening tests at different VTF's (using a cheap digital, non-'ego' type) and find the optimum VTF per cart for my tastes and stick to that......the suggested tracking weights from the manufacturers are only recommendations, they can be ignored.......remember, SQ is subjective.:)

Edited by stevoz

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, EV Cali said:

I purchased one of these from Hong Kong  for $9.97

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vesion-Professional-LP-Turntable-Stylus-Force-Pressure-Gauge-Scale-Gauge-/391717723315?hash=item5b34321cb3:g:~roAAOSw~AVYtsc~

Did not come with the two batteries so that was a few more dollars.

It worked fine and established that the scale on my tonearm was correct so I did not have much use for it after that.

image.png.536210f7062f5886d5876ba0efa4a7b1.png

I had an expensive ($120 US) set of 'name brand' gauges that gave up the ghost. I ordered a set as per the ones in your post. Turns out they are identical to the name brand gauges, sans fancy box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

Too thick for correct VTA.....will give incorrect weight, unless you pack it up to same level as platter mat with record in place (or is that what that metal cover thingy is for?). My advice to @daveyonthecoast  is firstly check your gauges accuracy with supplied 5g weight and if OK just set the VTF once and stop redoing it....it'll do you're head in!:P Just trust the first reading. I actually do listening tests at different VTF's (using a cheap digital, non-'ego' type) and find the optimum VTF per cart for my tastes and stick to that......the suggested tracking weights from the manufacturers are only recommendations, they can be ignored.......remember, SQ is subjective.:)

??

You put the stylus on the platform on the front right. What did you think it was for?

It is about as thick as a 150gm record.

Perfect. ;)

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

....and how much does that one cost? I'll tell you.....way too much!!:) You can buy a half decent vintage analogue set up for the cost of that alone.:thumb: In it's defense, I'm sure it's very accurate.....it would want to be.;)

The Rega is expensive for sure but if you use something like a Cartridge Man Musicmaker it is specifically designed to track at 1.58g +/-0.05 and this amount is critical apparently. I've never owned that cartridge but a scale as accurate as the Rega would be essential in that case. Your half decent analogue system might well become a flat out very best ever analogue system with the Music Maker set up using a Rega scale. Who knows? I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

http://www.thecartridgeman.com/music_maker.htm

Edited by Hergest
  • Like 1

S

40 minutes ago, metal beat said:

??

You put the stylus on the platform on the front right. What did you think it was for?

It is about as thick as a 150gm record.

Perfect. ;)

Silly me! I haven't used that type, had no idea that thing was the stylus rest.......my bad.:) It all makes sense now.:thumb:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2017 at 5:38 PM, metal beat said:

ortofon ds-3

ds3_jpg2.jpg?height=600&quality=80

+1

I just bought one of these. A bit OCD and expensive on my part. I tightened the tonearm locking nut under my Tabriz tonearm on my Roksan Xerxes X and thought I may have mucked up the stylus pressure in the process. No problem though. I got readings of between 1.73 - 1.76g on different sections of the little triangular tab. (Cameron @Krispy Audio set it at 1.75g when he put the cartridge (Benz Glider SL) on for me, but I'm keen to learn myself, though a bit of a 'scardy cat'!) My concerns were unwarranted!  1.75g was by far the most common reading. Seems a damn fine result to me. A quality piece of kit, if a tad expensive. Shane @metal beat is spot on as that tab is damn close to what the surface of the LP would be. Nice! 

Regards, Michael 

Edited by SPR08Y
  • Like 2