Welcome to the pleasure dome Frankie goes to Hollywood

I have a copy I bought new back when it was released. I like the music but mine sounds a bit aenemic. Sounds great on something where you can pump up the bottom end but not awesome on any of the atc's I've owned of late.

Great version of Born to Run on side 4, might be the best track on the album.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/6273-Frankie-Goes-To-Hollywood

< Is it good music or just 80s hype? >

well...... a slickly packaged product of its time, one critic's look back

"25 Years On: Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s Welcome To The Pleasuredome"

http://thequietus.com/articles/04077-frankie-goes-to-hollywood-welcome-to-the-pleasuredome-20th-anniversary

regards Ian

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Have multiple pressing of this all sound great but recon the aussie press is up there with the best of them. Don't think its quite to  djb's musical tastes but personally I love it.

I only have the one vinyl copy as I got it originally on tape. I reckon it has improved over the years or that could be that the album played now on a decent system with some real grunt has so much impact. I still get dewey eyed like a sad old middle aged git at Power Of Love and when the album closes I sit waiting for the final 'Frankie say......no more' and a shiver runs down my spine. Love it.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your $1 investment, it is now worth $8 on discogs.

This is a parson's egg of an album. I never expected to own it, I think it arrived in a job lot and to make peace with my musical conscience I don't play it. I do have one of the singles off the album, 'Welcome to the Pleasuredome' which is actually rather good with its spoken word narration and engaging production,; a cover of T Rex's Get It On which was quite propulsive despite nasally vocals and a rendition that adds nothing to the original; a pleasant non-album track called Hidey-Hi or something like that which was well placed in the context of the single because it was the calm before the final track, a cover of a Bruce Springsteen song.  Hype? The single was released in 20 different versions and was promoted as being a Number One song when in truth it failed to do so, reaching #2 - a credible achievement (but not #1).  The Springsteen 'Born to Run' is a fake live track and as impenetrable in its production as the original. In line with my policy of owning this stuff but not playing it, my copy of Welcome to the Pleasuredome (the single) is on cassette. If I own a cassette deck then I can't recall where it is.

There are many good things about the album as a whole, here are 7 of them:

- the production

- the lyrics

- the sequence

- the grooves

- the arrangements

- the hooks

- the rock'n'roll swagger (with synths, yet!).

I would value the album more, if each song contained more than 3 of these 7 good things.

(It needs a warning: Number and selection of good things may vary).

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I love this album. Takes me back to my youth, as mis spent as it was. Would set of for Ayre river with the double cassette in the auto reverse tape player in my car, swapped tapes somewhere around Colac, and would arrive about the time it finished.

Had no idea back then they were as camp as a row of tents. Couldn't care less then, dont care less now.

I picked up a copy for 10 times what @djb paid for his ($10) at Fryerstown market about 8 years ago. Love it.

It still gets a regular spinning here.

As a bonus, anyone who owns it also has a piece of Andy Warhol art. Not saying thats a good thing, but its a fact:lol:

Also got a US 12" single of Relax, its way cool.