Sign in to follow this  
Mat-with-one-t

Will a Hisense TV be on my nature strip in a year?

I have a Sony which is about 4 years old and still going well. Its made in China but it has performed flawlessly. My brother in law has worked through a few Samsungs with not a lot of joy. If you are looking for something that doesn't end up in the curb side collection in a year I would avoid the cheap "no name" brands.

I wouldn't include Hisene as no name and while Sony used to kill the market.. we had a Sony Trinitron professional studio monitor in 1988... I wouldn't say they are the best anymore. And I have had horrible issues withe their service departments. Hisense has a revenue over $15 billion. My Hisense tv while playing 4K content was faultless. Playing HD or SD content can be worse off.  All TVs LED and UHD etc are the same except for OLED currently. Even my Samsung QLED can't produce old content that great. The football is still hard to see. Samsung was $3000 and the equivalent size Hisense is $900. If you watch 4K as a primary content spend the extra. If not then go the Hisense. I've owned both.  Also the Hisense service area is one of the best I have ever dealt with. 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/soniq/soniq-s55uv16b-55-uhd-smart-led-lcd-tv/316772/

$600 with 3yr warranty, mix reviews so it's not all smooth sailing, but for $600 with 3 yr warranty, who cares if it ended up on the medium strip waiting to reside in land fill!  In 3 yrs OLED would come down in price.

I am somewhat confused by those that belittle Hisense, cause I've got one and it's got superior quality picture to my panasonic, in fact it's even got better quality picture than my expensive gaming monitor which I gave away to a mate.

Don't be a snob fool, check out Hisense.

After all Samsung sold rubbish 20 years ago but they sold so much rubbish that they were able to get better engineers and now are leaders, Hisense will go the same way.

Edited by powerav

It's great to hear.  I was actually surprised to read all the Hisense great reviews, so they've obviously stamped their ground!  

I'd still always try (as best as possible) to go for something that'll last a reasonable time - I hate modern wastefulness!  

Looks like Hisense a good choice....

I'm far from being an expert, but here's a few thoughts that may help you.

Hisense is the low-end budget brand, with all the consequences: poor build quality, mediocre design and features and nothing really interesting technology wise. My son recently bought an LG and he's very fond of their mouse-like remote which makes it so much quicker and easier to wade through the various menus. Have a look at it - your family would love it.
In terms of size the 60-65" is where the value for money seems to be these days and it's perfectly fine for your viewing distance. HD is most likely all the resolution that makes sense with this size and viewing distance, besides there's still precious little content in 4k - consider that before paying premium for it.
Lots of inputs makes sense if everything is connected directly to the TV, but often it's more practical to connect through a receiver - then you really need only one input. But what's equally important is consideration for sound output from the TV, as most of their internal speakers are worse than your phone. Make sure you get that covered.

Hisense used to be a low end budget brand but it's just not the case anymore. They compete quite well with the premium brands at a generally lower price however not as low as the true low end. They are now an acceptable mid level alternative to the majors. M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Jakeyb77 said:

I wouldn't include Hisene as no name and while Sony used to kill the market.. we had a Sony Trinitron professional studio monitor in 1988... I wouldn't say they are the best anymore.   

Me neither. Mine is good though.

And I have had horrible issues withe their service departments.  

Ive never had to deal with them.

Hisense has a revenue over $15 billion.  

That's not a measure of quality.

Even my Samsung QLED can't produce old content that great. The football is still hard to see. 

My 10 year old Pioneer plasma plays football just fine..

Samsung was $3000 and the equivalent size Hisense is $900. If you watch 4K as a primary content spend the extra. If not then go the Hisense. I've owned both.  Also the Hisense service area is one of the best I have ever dealt with. 

How often have you had to deal with them? I have never had to contact Sony or Pioneer.

@crisis I've only had to deal with the Hisense service department in relation to my previous tv. Obviously that usually concerns numerous calls for over the phone problem solving and eventually a tech onsite. With the confirmation of a tech the national manager contacted me to offer a replacement. It was all very easy and smooth. The only reason I didn't take the Hisense was a pure economic reason. 

I once bought a Sony stereo that in 12 months of ownership I had it in my possession for three of those months. They refused to replace it. Last time I bought a Sony product. 

Buy a Hisense. Don't buy a Hisense. I think the overall majority here has agreed that they have come a long way. The stigma they attract in Australia is not felt in other countries. 

Your 10 year old plasma plays that content fine as it was designed for it. A 4K tv trying to upscale lower definition content will show issues in this regard. Hence why they all have lovely 4K content on in the showroom. 

In any case I'm happy with my QLED with "one connect" and the "one remote" is awesome.  

1 minute ago, Jakeyb77 said:

Buy a Hisense. Don't buy a Hisense. I think the overall majority here has agreed that they have come a long way. The stigma they attract in Australia is not felt in other countries. 

Thanks. Ill definitely look at them differently next time I have to consider a new TV.

6 minutes ago, crisis said:

Thanks. Ill definitely look at them differently next time I have to consider a new TV.

:thumb: I didn't really want to buy one when I did. I felt the same way. I guess that's the reason I would suggest them. I was pleasantly surprised myself. I think there is now only 4 major companies making panels now anyway. Kogan were told not to advertise the fact that their panels are LG. Hisense makes Sharp. Etc. The processors are where the differences can be. My point is who knows what's inside.  

Samsung make the displays or used to for iPhones yet they are the two main competitors in that market. 

I think you'll find that they sometimes use the other companies excess older panels. Eg Kogan may use an LG panel but it's not their latest panel but a previous year panel.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:41 PM, crisis said:

I have never had to contact Sony

Hoo boy.  You dodged a bullet, then. I've had a Sony TV fail, and a Sharp, the experiences with the customer support are seared on my brain. I'm now sticking with Panasonic.

21 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Hoo boy.  You dodged a bullet, then. I've had a Sony TV fail, and a Sharp, the experiences with the customer support are seared on my brain. I'm now sticking with Panasonic.

I'm pretty sure one of my calls to Sony would still be used for training purposes to this day. Well the words you could hear between the beeps anyway. 

In the same boat as the OP so thanks for that and contributors. Two Sony Bravia''s have served the family well for many years, but I like what a company on the rise like Hisense offers.

what are the hisense tv's like in the smaller models, looking for a 32inch for the spare bedroom but I would only be using it to stream movies from my NAS or apps. however I have read the smart tv apps are very sluggish on the hisense. 

Guest EZYHD
On 8/17/2017 at 2:18 PM, unclemack said:

Hisense used to be a low end budget brand but it's just not the case anymore. They compete quite well with the premium brands at a generally lower price however not as low as the true low end. They are now an acceptable mid level alternative to the majors. M

Totally agree, our daughter recently purchased the 55" Hisense, the picture after bit of my adjustment is excellent, price paid even more so, they are getting better with each model.

Edited by EZYHD

I think you will find that Hisense are Sharp, I believe they bought them out and just changed the badge.

4 minutes ago, Batty said:

I think you will find that Hisense are Sharp, I believe they bought them out and just changed the badge.

Yeah brands seem to mean less and less.  All screens seem to come out of a few Chinese factories, and then go into various chassis' with different hardware added. They're all "bitsas" these days....

12 minutes ago, Batty said:

Nope. Hisense acquired Sharp's US brand name. You underestimate the size of them. 

Sharp being in financial difficulties sold a manufacturing plant to Hisense and it's right to sell in the US using the name Sharp. 

Edited by Jakeyb77

Close, I know HIsense are huge with over 75000 employees.

But Mat is right. There are about 4 panel makers. The rest is hardware and build etc 

Edited by Jakeyb77

What about the footy?

Hisense Arena!

Don't they own an English soccer team?

Hi All

I have had a Hisense 4K 40" set for a little over a year and have had no problems, after a little adjustment it looks great, have had no problem with watching sport or movies....

JJ