Gieseler DAC Reviews & Impressions

Snoopy8

Been going through the Gieseler DAC threads to dig up owners’ reviews & impressions over the past 2 few years.  Together, they provided an impressive picture of how well Clay has made his DACs and has lead me to consider  purchase the upcoming Groß DAC with balanced outputs.   

Kompakt Reviews & Impressions

lenticularis 23 Sep 20, 29 Nov 20 compared with Klein III

herbs 24 Sep 20

franky995 24 Sep 20 compared with Gross

naggots 25 Sep 20

pete_mac 20 Oct 20

John0001 10 Nov 20

ray4410 24 Nov 20 compared with Denafrips Ares II

Fein II Reviews & Impressions

helland 28 Mar 19 

RussB 14 Apr 19 compared with Gross with gold tuned PSU

Snoopy8 14 Apr 19 compared with Gross with gold tuned PSU

Galatic Soap 30 Jul 19 compared with Chord Hugo TT2 + BluMk2

Max Headroom 30 Jul 19 compared with Chord Hugo TT2 + MScaler

andrewyuri 2 Aug 19 compared with Chord 2Qute

Steve M 8 Aug 19 compared with Holo Audio Spring Level 3, MF Trivista 21,  NuForce Reference, Topping D10

Suopermanni 12 Sep 19 compared with Topping D70

Pete Gardner 16 Jan 20 compared with Klein III

Scott Daniel 6 Jun 20

Klein III Reviews & Impressions

pnes_nv 20 Oct 18 compared with Arcam irDac II

pete_mac 10 Nov 18 compared with Klein

DrSK 11 Dec 18 compared with Oppo 205

Snrub 8 Mar 19 compared with Audiolab M-Dac

lenticularis 4 Sep 19 compared with Modi 3

pete_mac 24 Sep 19 compared with Audio-GDPCM1704UK 

bjs 30 Oct 2019 compared with Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, 14 Nov 19 compared with Chord Mojo

krappo 26 Feb 20 

Groß (Gross) Reviews & Impressions

illbarto 18 Sep 17 compared with Klein II

Snoopy8  5 Oct 17 compared with Audiolab 8200CDQ, 13 May 18, compared with Chord 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr

BAM 6 Oct 17 compared with PSAudio Directstream

bhobba 28 Nov 1722 Jan 18 compared with PSAudio Directstream

Ancientflatulence 15 Dec 17

Suopermanni 23 Dec 17 compared with Gungnir Multibit

Bill125812 18 Jan 18 compared with PS Audio Nu Wave

scumbag  18 Jan 18 compared with PS Audio Direct Stream jnr

RussB 23 Feb 188 Apr 18 compared with Klein, Chord Qutest

Mattw 4 Mar 18 6 Mar 18 14 Mar 18 compared with Starting Point Systems DAC3

Mike13 6 Mar 13 compared with Chord 2Qute, 13 May 18 compared with Chord 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr

Francisco 8 Mar 18

Stereophilus 11 Mar 18 compared with Mola Mola Makua, PSAudio Directstream, Chord DAVE

Assisi 11 Mar 18 compared with Mola Mola Makua

Rosco8 24 Mar 18 compared with Cayin (Valve/SS),  ARCAM-II DAC II 

Bunno77 26 Mar 18 compared with Geek Pulse S Infinity

Rawl99 2 Apr 18 compared with Killer

rmpfyf 2 Apr 18 compared with Killer

Conch 16 Apr 18 compared with Klein II, Chord 2qute, Accuphase Dac50

Max Headroom 10 May 18, 13 May 18 compared with Chord 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr

buddyev 31 Oct 18 compared with Topping D50

lemarguis 10 Jul 19 compared with Klein II

Pkay 23 Jul 19 compared with Chord Qutest + Mscaler

noisuf 23 Oct 20  compared with Denafrips Ares II

Konverter Reviews & Impressions

~Spyne~ 29 Apr 17

Woadl 13 Jun 17 compared with Auralic Vega

Klein II Reviews & Impressions

Andrewyuri 1 May 16 compared with Klein

Jonny 31 Jul 16 compared with Antelope Gold

Klein Reviews & Impressions

GPK 17 Jun 15

Bill125812 28 Jun 15 compared with NAD M51

naggots  29 Jun 15

rambada 7 Aug 15

matt200sr 10 Aug 15

naggots 21 Sep 15 on SE version

scumbag 16 Oct 15 compared with MyDac

joz 29 Oct 15

pete_mac 5 Nov 15 compared with audio-gd DAC16DSP

pop9745 25 Nov 15 compared with Chord Hugo, Resonessence Labs Concero HD, and Ifi

betocool 1 Dec 15

woadl 1 Dec 15

andrewyuri 13 Apr 16 compared with Arcam irDac, Nad M51 

Jventer 15 May 16 compared with PSAudio Directstream

NcA 27 May 16

Tellmidd 16 Jul 16

Powerav 15 Oct 16

Zypr 16 Jan 17

Terry0 11 Mar 18 compared with Oppo 205, Bluesound Node2

Please post if corrections, additions required…

p/s no association with Gieseler Audio.

Edited by Snoopy8
Added latest reviews, updated title, typos, added Klein III, Fein II, Kompakt
  • Like 12
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Guys

Did one early on against the Killer DAC which is much much more expensive.

Considering the price difference everyone was impressed with how close it was.  Later it was at a comparison with the Killer and PS Audio Direct stream.  Same result - shocking how close it was and the price difference - you went - how is that possible.

But Clay's later DAC's like the Konverter and a new one he has mentioned on this forum he is working on is the natural choice to compare to these much more expensive DAC's.   I have done that one with the Konverter - well I wouldn't like to make the choice.  You have to hear all three to decide.  I have a Killler, a Direct Stream an may just have to get Clays new DAC.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bhobba said:

Hi Guys

Did one early on against the Killer DAC which is much much more expensive.

Considering the price difference everyone was impressed with how close it was.  Later it was at a comparison with the Killer and PS Audio Direct stream.  Same result - shocking how close it was and the price difference - you went - how is that possible.

But Clay's later DAC's like the Konverter and a new one he has mentioned on this forum he is working on is the natural choice to compare to these much more expensive DAC's.   I have done that one with the Konverter - well I wouldn't like to make the choice.  You have to hear all three to decide.  I have a Killler, a Direct Stream an may just have to get Clays new DAC.

Thanks

Bill

I did see your comments in the threads but wasn't sure whether to include it in the links. :sorry:

Looking forward to seeing your review of the new DAC when it comes out.  Hopefully Clay will update us soon on an approximate timeline.

Hi guys & thanks for all the positive comments.

The new DAC only is extreamly close now.

I actually took a prototype version to Lenehan Audio last week which we had a good listen to via some Lenehan ML5 references.

I must admit I get a bit nervous when trying out one of my new products at Mikes as he always gives an honest (& ruthless) opinion & past experiences have not always had a good outcome.

Well the prototype passed with flying colours which was a great relief! I was about to order  $1k plus worth of transformers from Jensen so I just wanted to be certain the new DAC was right up there sound wise. It definitely was!

The bonus is that although this is just a straight DAC we have managed to include variable output level (on remote) by using the AK4497's  internal level antenuator. This is done in digital form so you are throwing bits away with lower volume settings but fortunately due to the AKM's 32 bit architecture & as long as you are not listening to very low levels it shouldn't be a problem. 

Bottom line is the new DAC will drive a power amp directly so perfect for a nice simple set up & this is how we tested it at Mikes.

Max output level is 1.8 v rms but this seems fine on the three different power amps I have tested it with so far.

I'm working on the final board layout at the moment so hopefully I will be ordering the pcb's in about a week.

As the finished product is very close I will start a new product release thread shortly with lots more info & details.

• Like 11

Hi Mat,

All my designs have multiply low noise internal PSU's & run off external transformers so require AC input only.

So the answer to your question is - No 

None of my PSU's would be suitable as they are all DC output.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
Grammar

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I apologise for the messines but at the same time I would like to thank Richard @Suopermanni for bringing his Grob over today for a listening session.

We compared the Grob to my Geek Pulse. The Geek did have an unfair advantage in that it was being fed by a Microrendu and the Grob direct from a PC.

We both listened for about 2 hours and in every song the Grob won out. Kinda the usual stuff, it was more relaxed while still presenting an extemely full representation. It bettered the Geek in bass control, impact and detail. The highs also showed a little more detail. I don't know what happened to the mids but on male vocals they weren't as pronounced. This may be a more even display but I am not sure. 

The Grob was certainly better in all regards apart from mid forwardness but as stated that may be a truer representation. A beautiful DAC and as has been stated before most likely is better than the PS audio DSD. 

A real credit to Gieseler and especially at this price point. Thanks again to Richard for bringing it over

29527070_218622532053135_914447017_o.thumb.jpg.0aef51a43c115996fdfbd8f175ac1ccf.jpg29633441_218622498719805_107633508_o.thumb.jpg.2d6d7b67e20f29a0912f0ad6c0021909.jpg

• Like 3

I have the Geek Pulse S Infinity which I believe is the top model with the lps1. 

I was also using it with a microrendu with its lps1 which is a big step up from using a pc. So just from that the Grob was at a disadvantage but it sounded better in all but the mids but maybe that means it is more balanced? 

• Like 2

I have the Geek Pulse S Infinity which I believe is the top model with the lps1. 
I was also using it with a microrendu with its lps1 which is a big step up from using a pc. So just from that the Grob was at a disadvantage but it sounded better in all but the mids but maybe that means it is more balanced? 

Great, thanks. Mine is further down the range than yours. I have the Pulse Fi with a 12v PSU from Clay, fed by SOTM SMS200/Regen so our set ups are not dissimilar. If the Grob betters yours fed by PC, it will be more so with mine I imagine. Thanks for the info.
  • Like 1

Great, thanks. Mine is further down the range than yours. I have the Pulse Fi with a 12v PSU from Clay, fed by SOTM SMS200/Regen so our set ups are not dissimilar. If the Grob betters yours fed by PC, it will be more so with mine I imagine. Thanks for the info.
Yep, will be a bigger margin for sure. The Lh Labs LPS also has the benefit of the USB signal being fed to it not the DAC itself. It strips the 5v USB power so removes the noise on the line.
Makes the Grob even more impressive.
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 03/09/2018 at 8:14 PM, cox11 said:

Hi guys, looking to add a streamer to my system and curious if anyone compared the sq of a klein 2/sms200 combo to a cambridge cxn?

I have a friend with a CXNV2 and a Klein SE. The CXN can either digital output to the Klein or via its own dac. He streams Spotify and accesses a NAS with the CXN. Theres no comparison between the Klein SE and CXN sound wise. The Klein SE is superb. 

• Like 3

I have a friend with a CXNV2 and a Klein SE. The CXN can either digital output to the Klein or via its own dac. He streams Spotify and accesses a NAS with the CXN. Theres no comparison between the Klein SE and CXN sound wise. The Klein SE is superb. 
Thanks naggots
Although a little more complex, it seems like the klein/sms200 combo is a no brainer at the price point

The CXN is quite slick to use but by the time you log into Spotify connect or search through the music on the NAS it’s almost as easy to use a PC/Mac from your phone. I’ve not used a sms200. 

The Klein SE is far superior in any case, it’s using the coax input. Clay says it sounds best with USB. 

On 04/09/2018 at 10:07 PM, naggots said:

I have an SE being built at the moment, can’t wait to hear it. Having owned a Klein 1 and loved it, can only imagine I’m in for a real treat!

• Like 2

I had a PDXL2 then Klein 1 then the SE for a couple years. The SE was the best. I now have a Gross which is better (Femto Upgrade next) I sold the SE to my friend with the CXN after he tried it, liked it didn’t want to give it back....... I then bought the Gross......wouldn’t of sold the SE otherwise. 

Well I will be the lucky owner of a souped up Klein SE next week, the word from Clay is that this one is “the best Klein he has ever heard/built”! It’s benefitting from some improved componentry since he made them in mass.

As a previous Klein 1 owner I’ll be sure to report back with some feedback in a week or so.

• Like 3