Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Shoutout to The Coffee Machinist

Credit where it's due, and one of our own - @coffeemachinist is a bit of an asset to our community.

Rick is an independent coffee machine tech based in Northcote, Melbourne, and took my beloved Rocket away on Friday night for a bit of an overdue service.

I made the complaint of it being quite noisy so Rick said he'll take a look at what can be done to quieten it down while he has it.

Well, it came back yesterday (amazing turnaround time), and I must say it's quieter than how it came out of the factory.

Rick has replaced the solid copper internal pipes with braided flexible hoses. He's isolated all the moving parts and remounted everything, and finally added some sound deadening to the internal side of the panels. It is almost silent when you flick the lever now. I am so impressed with his work. Rocket should hire this guy to improve their machines!

Aside from the full service it also had the best clean it's had since new.

Definitely give Rick a buzz if you need servicing or mods to your machine.

_DSC2301.jpg

Cheers @Marc!

Glad you're back to enjoying your machine and the pods can be relegated to the darkest recesses of the cupboard where they belong. I was just having a read of the coffee thread you sent me, and sure enough, there was @proftournesol's La Scala that I worked on many years ago, and who did I meet on friday but @joz the coffee roaster, and @Black Orange has a freaking la pavoni!  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the SNA crowd are also pro level coffee nuts. 

I wish I could say the Italians listen to me, but nah, they don't want to hear about it. I have actually never seen an industry less eager to innovate. There is certainly something to be said for valuing tradition when it comes to the visual side, but sheesh guys! Get with the times!

9 hours ago, Marc said:

Rick has replaced the solid copper internal pipes with braided flexible hoses. He's isolated all the moving parts and remounted everything, and finally added some sound deadening to the internal side of the panels. 

Love some of those 'audiophile' tweaks.

Just need a uber-expensive power cord on it now :)

Yeah I get the jitter after too much :)

Gawd........he's reviewing the sound of coffee machines now!

(Good on Rick)

I couldn't agree more with Marc. The rewards from coffee machine mods are very similar to those from Stereo equipment mods, and @coffeemachinist has some well thought through mods as well as good service

@Rori is now the proud owner of this machine. :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By aaleks
      Item: Breville BES920 espresso machine in silver including pullman tamper, 2 milk froth jugs and glasses (if you want them).

Price: $500
      Item Condition: excellent
      About year and a half old. Used in a single person household and in excellent working and cosmetic condition. 

Coffee grinder is also available for sale. 
      Reason for selling: move
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only, Dd
      Extra Info:
      Also Included are cleaning detergent and a bunch of reservoir water filters. 
      Pictures:

• By DoggieHowser
      Item: The Little Guy  
      Price: $699 (price when new was $699+$199)
      Item Condition: Used
      Reason for selling: Looking to get a machine that doesn't require cooling down between shots
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash or Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: Includes the matching Induction Top designed for the Stainless Steel unit that can heat up the Little Guy more consistently. Purchased in Nov 2014
            You can find details of the unit here: https://www.thelittleguy.info/products/the-little-guy https://www.thelittleguy.info/products/induction-top   This home barista kit includes pretty much everything you need to start making espresso and lattes: 'The Little Guy' stainless steel espresso maker 51mm coffee basket for professional espresso grind 51mm coffee basket for store bought espresso grind Stainless steel coffee jug Stainless steel milk jug Nylon coffee tamper Silicon mat Two Italian latte glasses Instructional DVD Quick start guide  
      Induction Top Specs
      The Little Guy team spent over two years working with electrical engineers and manufacturers to create an induction technology that will work with the Little Guy's solid 304 grade stainless steel boiler base. the Little Guy induction top uses a customized sensor system that engages with stainless steel where that other induction technology won't.

Five cooking settings, independent of the little guy setting, offer the use of many accouterments formerly unusable on standard induction cook tops. the Little Guy induction top is versatile far beyond making espresso with the Little Guy.
      Additional features include
      a built in alert, sounding at the start of the extraction touch screen controls an automatic cut out, in the event you forget to switch the induction top off at the end of brewing five independent heat settings that are ideal for suitable kettles and cookware. the surface area of the little guy induction top is smaller than an A4 page, ideal for small kitchens and traveling.  

I have been pretty happy with this unit - I guess it is an old school espresso design with stainless steel construction, but it also means the unit gets very hot after it is done with the two-shot extraction and it isn't convenient to get it going for a second time. I have to wait about 40 minutes before it gets cool enough to touch. As a result, I usually only use it once a day in the shop - to get a good cup of coffee after lunch. 

I would imagine if you were camping out or in a caravan away from home and need something to deliver very good quality coffee like what you are used to at home, this would be perfect. It is small and reasonably light. And you can use a gas stove if you don't have an electrical outlet. 

I usually get a small 200g espresso pack from the Merlot cafe in Ferry Road ground to 4.0 on their grinder. 

If I do sell this, I might look into getting a dual boiler Breville espresso machine. That lists for $1699 but seems to be reasonably well designed. Any reason why I shouldn't be looking at that?

I'll take some more pics of my Little Guy when I get back to the shop tomorrow. 

• By Marc
      Item: Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine with Rancilio Rocky Grinder and Base
      Price: $800.00
      Item Condition: Used but Perfect Working Condition
      Reason for selling: Upgraded to Rocket Giotto Evoluzione II and Macap M4D
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      More information:
      This is a V2 Rancilio Silvia with Auber Instruments PID modification. The PID keeps the temperatures much more stable, while the shot timer ensures perfect shots everytime.
      Nearly all seals, thermostats etc have been changed by me over the last 3-4 years I have had this machine. It could do with the steam wand seal changing (including).
      In great condition cosmetically with usual signs of use. Stainless would come up like new if someone had the time to spend polishing it.
      The chrome trim around the brew head is flaking - usual for age of machine. These are held on by a couple of screws and available for $30-$40 from memory. My selling price has been adjusted accordingly.
      Comes with many spare seals and parts (still in their original packaging), an expensive tamper that I cannot remember the brand / name of, the genuine stainless steel base (with knock box drawer), and the Rocky doser grinder (which I have done the sweeping mod to). Also includes Single and Double baskets, more aftermarket baskets (that I will have to dig up), and the naked portafilter.
      I spent some time last week right before getting my new machine dialing everything in again and to be perfectly honest, had trouble justifying the new machine as it was making truly magnificent coffee. Fortunately for the buyer of this machine I already had paid for the new one.
      Will not ship as it is heavy, fragile to a degree and I have no packaging materials.
      It's all clean and emptied out at the moment, but if the buyer really wanted we could set it up and I can give you a run through.
      Pickup from Sunbury, VIC.