Bringing up an older thread here, but am stuck on what would appear to be a compatibility issue with the 4300, the new Sony 270ES PJ and my Oppo 93.

Cannot get audio from the Oppo through the 4300 connected to the Sony PJ. Have tried everything. Running HDMI 1 video only(direct to the display)/ HDMI 2 audio only, HDMI 1 to do both through the 4300 including various combinations of settings on both - all to no avail. Tried different startup sequences (for handshake) also. The Oppo displays the correct BD data on the front panel, but the 4300 sees the input as ANA even thought the HDMI connection is chosen in the menu displaying "unknown" in the input info section.

At first, I couldn't get sound from my older Sony BDP790 either, but after reading some info on AVS forums, set the projector HDMI signal format to "standard" instead of "enhanced" and all began to work. Of course this means that the PQ is limited when upscaling from this source. Unfortunately, this method made no difference to the lack of audio from the Oppo.

It's not too much of a problem as I have the Sony UBPX800 which plays everything faultlessly.

The "no audio" issue from the Oppo is however, an enigma and I would dearly love to have my old Oppo Region A available for all the multitude of discs I own that are region locked.

This post must sound like a mess. Much like my head after 3 hours of trying to get it to work 😖

Any ideas, much appreciated.

4 hours ago, 709er said:

Bringing up an older thread here, but am stuck on what would appear to be a compatibility issue with the 4300, the new Sony 270ES PJ and my Oppo 93.

Cannot get audio from the Oppo through the 4300 connected to the Sony PJ. Have tried everything. Running HDMI 1 video only(direct to the display)/ HDMI 2 audio only, HDMI 1 to do both through the 4300 including various combinations of settings on both - all to no avail. Tried different startup sequences (for handshake) also. The Oppo displays the correct BD data on the front panel, but the 4300 sees the input as ANA even thought the HDMI connection is chosen in the menu displaying "unknown" in the input info section. 

At first, I couldn't get sound from my older Sony BDP790 either, but after reading some info on AVS forums, set the projector HDMI signal format to "standard" instead of "enhanced" and all began to work. Of course this means that the PQ is limited when upscaling from this source. Unfortunately, this method made no difference to the lack of audio from the Oppo.

It's not too much of a problem as I have the Sony UBPX800 which plays everything faultlessly.

The "no audio" issue from the Oppo is however, an enigma and I would dearly love to have my old Oppo Region A available for all the multitude of discs I own that are region locked.

This post must sound like a mess. Much like my head after 3 hours of trying to get it to work 😖

Any ideas, much appreciated.

It's possible the Denon is getting confused by the lack of a video signal. Try setting Video Conversion to Off and i/p Scaler to Off - see p.198 of the US manual.

Also, are you outputting PCM or bitstream from the Oppo? Try changing your current setting.

21 hours ago, Quark said:

It's possible the Denon is getting confused by the lack of a video signal. Try setting Video Conversion to Off and i/p Scaler to Off - see p.198 of the US manual.

Also, are you outputting PCM or bitstream from the Oppo? Try changing your current setting.

Thanks Quark, but unfortunately, no go.

I've spent so much time on it now, I think I'm over it. Will just use the Panasonic PJ when needing to view Region A material. May upgrade to a more modern Region Free player down the track.

40 minutes ago, 709er said:

Thanks Quark, but unfortunately, no go.

I've spent so much time on it now, I think I'm over it. Will just use the Panasonic PJ when needing to view Region A material. May upgrade to a more modern Region Free player down the track.

Sorry that didn't help. Gattiweb can mod your X800 to be region selectable for $170 plus postage.

On 16/03/2019 at 6:58 PM, Quark said:

Sorry that didn't help. Gattiweb can mod your X800 to be region selectable for $170 plus postage.

Well, decided to put a bit more energy into this issue and have had success.

I was running firmware on the 93, one back from the last available. Loaded that up and did a factory reset. Put all my original settings back in, and voila, the audio was there. No 4K upscaling at this stage, so enabled the I/P scaler on the 4300 and now have upscaling and audio. Yey!

Still don't know what worked (firmware update or factory reset), but I'm happy.

Thanks for all the suggestions.