Denon AV Owners Thread

well I am onto my 3rd Denon 4311 now..

The first couple of weeks was great...

But now I have a similar issue to #2 - static flashing on Net/USB

Actually its 2 problems, the first is if you leave it playing with the TV ON, it will start flashing static up on the screen...

The second problem is when you use the remote to change folders in Net/USB, you get the static flashing + sound dropouts:

At 2, 5, 7, 10, and 12 seconds the video goes static when changing menu hierarchy.

The sound also drops at 7 and 12 seconds (I hope you can hear it)

This is ONLY from using the remote (left and right buttons) to go into and out of a folder..

If anyone uses their 4311 Net/USB can they test it out? Or let me know what you find?

ps - it seems to be linked to the video convert chip as without the TV being on I dont think it does it (the sound drop anyways...)

I am going to try coping these FLAC's to USB and playing from USB rather than from Net (even thou its the same input)

meh - Denon are about to loose a customer..

Mine is currently in the shop - it has a software compatiblityroblem with a Denon DBP2012 blu ray player! Generally works perfectly, except when using the 2-channel analogues out, they only work properly if the blu ray player is on pure direct mode. And the fact that every now and then I lose HDMI audio altogether, and it can only be restored by either taking out the power cords, or resetting the microprocessor!

Anyway, Denon have been studying it and determined that it was a software problem after I ruled out everything else for them.

As for the static, we used NET/USB quite a bit, but not usually the TV on. No static that I ever noticed though.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm interested to know if anyone gets any static displaying when the work their way through the menu hierarchy of songs...

I tried coping some FLAC folders off the USB, but it just kept going in an infinite loop about finding network/acquiring address...

Its a shame no other AVR really holds upto the 4311 otherwise I would just jump ship...

Its a shame that after all this time, some units are still having problems. I was interested in purchasing one but thought I'd wait until all the issues had been sorted out. Perhaps its unrealistic to expect no problems?? Anyway I'm not sure what to purchase now. There apparently will not be a 4312. The next unit will be the 4313 but apparently its RRP is going to be considerably more: $US3000.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.ph...amp;postcount=5

The other option I was considering was an Integra 80.2 pre/pro but I believe they also cost quite a bit more than the 4311 here in Oz. (Note: I haven't actually checked prices for the 4311 or the 80.2, just going off what I remember reading a while back.)

Its a shame that after all this time, some units are still having problems. I was interested in purchasing one but thought I'd wait until all the issues had been sorted out. Perhaps its unrealistic to expect no problems?? Anyway I'm not sure what to purchase now. There apparently will not be a 4312. The next unit will be the 4313 but apparently its RRP is going to be considerably more: $US3000.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.ph...amp;postcount=5

The other option I was considering was an Integra 80.2 pre/pro but I believe they also cost quite a bit more than the 4311 here in Oz. (Note: I haven't actually checked prices for the 4311 or the 80.2, just going off what I remember reading a while back.)

If it's any consolation, I heard back from my retailer today, and apparently my problem has been narrowed down to the Denon blu-ray player rather than the 4311 - some kind of software problem. They're even consulting with Denon Japan to make sure the problem is rectified in all units!

I'd suggest that they are very much in the minority. Remember that people with problems tend to be led to forums such as this whereas the multitude without issues don't post.

Agreed, my hong kong imported unit has been flawless! B)

dJOS - do you happen to have a media server (DLNA compat) to test the Net/USB input for me?

I cant possible believe 2 units display the same issue..

I also find it VERY strange that this unit developed the fault after a few weeks (I tested Net/USB static flashing as soon as I got it and it was fine)

If it's any consolation, I heard back from my retailer today, and apparently my problem has been narrowed down to the Denon blu-ray player rather than the 4311 - some kind of software problem. They're even consulting with Denon Japan to make sure the problem is rectified in all units!

Ok I hope it gets sorted out soon for you - its sounds like you're getting some good customer service, which is nice to hear about.

Agreed, my hong kong imported unit has been flawless! B)

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the total price you paid for it, including shipping, insurance etc? So Hong Kong is actually the cheapest option? Better than Singapore?

dJOS - do you happen to have a media server (DLNA compat) to test the Net/USB input for me?

I cant possible believe 2 units display the same issue..

I also find it VERY strange that this unit developed the fault after a few weeks (I tested Net/USB static flashing as soon as I got it and it was fine)

I have TWonky on my WHS box with 180gb of music but I have an ATV2 and so have never used the net/USB function - net radio works great tho.

I can do some specific test tomorrow for you if you like?

Btw, I believe there was a new FW release in the last week or so, have you tried it?

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the total price you paid for it, including shipping, insurance etc? So Hong Kong is actually the cheapest option? Better than Singapore?

I paid $1,770usd plus shipping from HiVizone and iirc it was under $2kaud even when the Aussie was not at parity back in march. I got them to mark it as a warranty replacement unit which avoided import duty and GST, I only had to pay the $60 customs fee (having the retailer open the box and test it, then mark it as 2nd hand goods is an even better method to use).

Edited by dJOS

I have TWonky on my WHS box with 180gb of music but I have an ATV2 and so have never used the net/USB function - net radio works great tho.

I can do some specific test tomorrow for you if you like?

Btw, I believe there was a new FW release in the last week or so, have you tried it?

If you can that would be awesome:

2 tests -

1) just let it play for upto 30 mins with the TV turned on, see if it starts flashing static up on the screen (also let me know if its running 1920x1080x50hz), generally the static flashing gets more and more frequent the longer it stays playing...

2) navigate back and forwards into and out of a folder (with it playing something in the background) and see if you get a big flash of static when you press the left or right button... kinda like my youtube video...

thanks in advance :)

Have you tried making the distance between the TV and the amp greater? It could be a form of electrical noise interference from the TV that brings the problem about.

Or it could be dirty power and slightly high power voltages, I run a Belkin 8-way isolator power board and have had no issues attributable to poor quality power - line conditioner would of comers be even better if power is really poor quality and higher voltages than it should be.

Have you tried making the distance between the TV and the amp greater? It could be a form of electrical noise interference from the TV that brings the problem about.

No I havn't - It only does it on the Net/USB input (so DVR and PS3/BD are fine)

Like I said Net/USB uses a funny resolution/refresh rate (1920x1080 and 50hz from memory) so maybe its the TV...

If you can that would be awesome:

2 tests -

1) just let it play for upto 30 mins with the TV turned on, see if it starts flashing static up on the screen (also let me know if its running 1920x1080x50hz), generally the static flashing gets more and more frequent the longer it stays playing...

2) navigate back and forwards into and out of a folder (with it playing something in the background) and see if you get a big flash of static when you press the left or right button... kinda like my youtube video...

thanks in advance :)

I do occasionally get static/snow flashes caused by hdcp handshakes but they aren't common - I will try your tests tomorrow tho.

If anyone uses their 4311 Net/USB can they test it out? Or let me know what you find?

ps - it seems to be linked to the video convert chip as without the TV being on I dont think it does it (the sound drop anyways...)

I am going to try coping these FLAC's to USB and playing from USB rather than from Net (even thou its the same input)

meh - Denon are about to loose a customer..

I use the DNLA (net) function a bit & don't have those issues. I get a clean screen which blacks out after a short period of inactivity. No flashes or any other artefacts on show. TV is a pana plasma 1080p via hdmi but I doubt the monitor would make any difference.

I use the DNLA (net) function a bit & don't have those issues. I get a clean screen which blacks out after a short period of inactivity. No flashes or any other artefacts on show. TV is a pana plasma 1080p via hdmi but I doubt the monitor would make any difference.

Same here only mine defaults to 720p as I have an older Pioneer 50MXE20 plasma.

I had no issues navigating thru folders or artists while playing music and I frequently interrupted playback by selecting another track. I'm running Twonky media server.

I'm running the latest Denon firmware.

Edited by dJOS

I paid $1,770usd plus shipping from HiVizone and iirc it was under $2kaud even when the Aussie was not at parity back in march. I got them to mark it as a warranty replacement unit which avoided import duty and GST, I only had to pay the $60 customs fee (having the retailer open the box and test it, then mark it as 2nd hand goods is an even better method to use).

Wow - some interesting tips there! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to think more about how I want to proceed. I suppose I'm a little hestitant in purchasing something like this from overseas... Not only the issue with having to ship it back overseas if something goes wrong but the rough handling in would experience in shipping. Anyway, nice to know that this particular option is available.

I've never actually had a surround sound system and have been thinking about getting one for quite a while now. Though I love films, I don't actually watch that many and hence I'm still um'ing and ah'ing about whether it worth getting an avr, speakers and sub.

BTW, was the 4311 group buy a while back a success? I know there where some issues but in the end did most people who wanted one get a unit?

BTW, was the 4311 group buy a while back a success? I know there where some issues but in the end did most people who wanted one get a unit?

My understanding was that all but about 8 people or so the last to join on mainly were left out of the distribution initally, there hasn't been much complaining in here about sourcing units since then so I guess they are available out there easy enough, if you keep an eye out in For Sale threads in this forum or others in OZ you may see one come up a bit cheaper than in the stores if your quick and lucky, most of us are enjoying our units but occasionally one goes wonky, don't use wireless connections for updating software seems to be essential, if you want a guaranteed successful upgrade.

Wow - some interesting tips there! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to think more about how I want to proceed. I suppose I'm a little hestitant in purchasing something like this from overseas... Not only the issue with having to ship it back overseas if something goes wrong but the rough handling in would experience in shipping. Anyway, nice to know that this particular option is available.

I've never actually had a surround sound system and have been thinking about getting one for quite a while now. Though I love films, I don't actually watch that many and hence I'm still um'ing and ah'ing about whether it worth getting an avr, speakers and sub.

No worries, you can still have it repaired here in Aus and fact amusingly I managed to register my HK unit with APG (the aus Distro)!! :D:lol:

I was in the GB but APG F'd us around so much that after 5 months I bailed from the GB and bought mine from HK.

My understanding was that all but about 8 people or so the last to join on mainly were left out of the distribution initally, there hasn't been much complaining in here about sourcing units since then so I guess they are available out there easy enough, if you keep an eye out in For Sale threads in this forum or others in OZ you may see one come up a bit cheaper than in the stores if your quick and lucky, most of us are enjoying our units but occasionally one goes wonky, don't use wireless connections for updating software seems to be essential, if you want a guaranteed successful upgrade.

Thanks for that. If I decide to get one I might see if there are others who also want a unit and perhaps see if we can get a deal via a mini group buy.