Just got a delivery of the new Denon X4300 that was reviewed very favorably here on Stereonet and 2 SVS PB1000 subs.

For movies and a very short demo of Rango, T2 and The Avengers I have not heard anything better, just superb and that is just 5.2 I can't wait till I move into our new home and set up either 5.2.4 or 7.2.4. I would honestly regard this for movies a big improvement over a Integra DHC 80.3 pre that I previously  had. The canal chase scene in T2 where Arnie busts through the gates on the Harley, I have never heard so precise and clearly the gates slamming open in the surround channels.

BUT as was the case with the 80.3 Pre/pro 5.1 music concerts did not impress me as much as a lowly Intgra 30.7. It goes back to the Audeyssey thing again where you have to muck around and adjust different things or just turn off to get it to sound decent. On the plus side with 2 channel music in Pure Direct mode in compares very favorably with my Creek Evo 2 amp so much in fact I am now considering just a poweramp for front 2 channels to simplify things.

Agree with your observations in all respects. Just took delivery of one about a week ago and actually think it performs better in 2ch pure direct than my old Nad T757!

Interesting. Sounds like Denon has finally lifted their game from an audio quality prospective.  Have you tried the Audessey APP that's available to tailor the curve from the app store? What about eq? Is it available with Audessey enabled?

@digitalhome from your perspective being an experience installer I have noticed you don't use Audyssey based AVRs in your home system, I can understand they are great when installing for customers, you can't go wrong but do you find in your own system that there is just too much fiddling with it. The Audyssey settings as well :D

Yes the messing around is time consuming, but on the bigger jobs I do run the software and tweak accordingly. But my focus is more on I.T. these days. I had a Deon AVR4520 for about 12 months but it didn't delight, I much preferred the impact from the Yamaha as well as the better controller app as well as being able to eq down to 15hz, even with yapo enabled. I don't believe that can be done (particularly that low) with the Denon / Marantz?

Glad to hear your enjoying the 4300! I've been tossing up between this and then Anthem 720. Both use the same DAC as far as I'm aware so I'm assuming they would sound similar with music. I've heard good things about anthems ARC. 

Curious to know if you can use your subs in pure direct mode ?

No...can use in stereo mode only I believe. Pure direct sets speakers to Large.

Watched About half an hour of Talking Heads Stop Making Sense last night with Audyssey completely off and WOW! That is the best thing I have ever heard.

On 25/07/2017 at 9:56 PM, metalheadz said:

Glad to hear your enjoying the 4300! I've been tossing up between this and then Anthem 720. Both use the same DAC as far as I'm aware so I'm assuming they would sound similar with music. I've heard good things about anthems ARC. 

Curious to know if you can use your subs in pure direct mode ?

Have the Anthem 710 and ARC is superb, especially useful for a non dedicated room. Anthem is noted for its music performance and I love it for multi channel music. However, it cannot match (and was not expected to match) a dedicated stereo setup. Don't get me wrong, the 710 is very good for stereo, and I could easily live with it if that is all I had.  But my expectations for stereo go beyond what an AVR can deliver.