Sign in to follow this  
Spider27

Can iMac be connected with external DVD Player?

Hello,

I am not even sure if it is possible and love to get some advice if I may.

Does anyone know how to connect Blu-Ray Disc/DVD player to iMac 27" (2011 model)?

I just would like to watch some live concert DVDs/Blu-rays Discs before heading to bed while doing internet browsing. iMac 27 used to have internal DVD ROM but I have replaced it with with SSD to improve performance long time ago and no longer have it any longer.

I have spare Sony BDP-S370 to use at the moment hence checking the possibility. :)  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

sony-BDPS370-rearconnect-lg.jpg

I would say No to that Sony unit 

But probably Yes to a dedicated USB external CD / DVD player / burner 

My wife wanted to do the same with an iMac but there was just no way of connecting up a DVD player. She bought a USB wotsit as Full Range said. I think it was only $39.99 or something like that. It appears to be a flimsy piece of crap when you pick it up but it works.

This is what you want if only doing CD/DVD.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/accessories/apple/apple-usb-superdrive/87429/

I use this to rip my CD's to my newer iMac that doesn't have an inbuilt DVD drive. There are others that will play BD as well like this

https://www.macfixit.com.au/archgon-macfixit-panasonic-uj-141a-macdrive-usb-3-0-blu-ray-player-superdrive-dvd-dual-layer-burner-great-with-apple-macbook-air-18978/

16 hours ago, blybo said:

This is what you want if only doing CD/DVD.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/accessories/apple/apple-usb-superdrive/87429/

I use this to rip my CD's to my newer iMac that doesn't have an inbuilt DVD drive. There are others that will play BD as well like this

https://www.macfixit.com.au/archgon-macfixit-panasonic-uj-141a-macdrive-usb-3-0-blu-ray-player-superdrive-dvd-dual-layer-burner-great-with-apple-macbook-air-18978/

Thank you so much for your recommendation. I guess that there is no other way but get USB external DVD/BD player instead. :( 

I will leave Sony BD player to TV and get external usb driver instead. 

@Full Range @Hergest @Jonny  Thank you very much for your suggestion, too. :) 

I just bought a Superdrive for my iMac on Gumtree, have a look there first, you may find a good bargain.

2 minutes ago, Biff said:

I just bought a Superdrive for my iMac on Gumtree, have a look there first, you may find a good bargain.

Yes, I already got the SuperDrive. Thanks. :)  

I have a simple LG DVD player/burner on my 21" imac via USB. works good for what it is. Lets me rip CD's to FLAC and plays DVD's. Sadly I cant play bluray. No big loss on a 21" screen anyway

3 minutes ago, darth vader said:

I have a simple LG DVD player/burner on my 21" imac via USB. works good for what it is. Lets me rip CD's to FLAC and plays DVD's. Sadly I cant play bluray. No big loss on a 21" screen anyway

Good to hear. I am using superdrive now for quick movie watching on iMac and it does its job. :) 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By petetherock
      Hi friends
      I tried searching for a thread on this, but I was unsuccessful, so if it exists, please feel free to merge this..
      I've been trying to locate a region free BR player, and apart from the Laser Brand model, which I last bought 3 years ago, is there anything else?
      Is it really based on an old Sony model?
      It's also been harder to track this model down, but I was hoping there will be some other options?
      Preferably in NSW / Sydney..

Thanks everyone
    • By Audionutz
      Item:  Cary 303/200 HDCD/CD Player 230vac
      Price:  $1175.00
      Item Condition: Good
      Reason for selling: Retiring audiophile
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal plus fees COD Only
      Extra Info:

This player has been highly modified by our own George Stantcheff  with the addition of triple stacked AD844 as I/V, as per the thread here on DIY Audio - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/227677-using-ad844-20.html

"Couple of days ago we compared my Cary 303/200 using just the I/V of the AD844, up against the Thorsten Losetch designed AMR CD77 (TDA1541 double crown) that uses Thorsten's special designed I/V stage which I believe is tube based, output impedance <100ohms, so a good match with the Lightspeed as is the Cary. I was expecting the AMR to be better, just by it's reputation and the designer behind it.
      3 of us within 20sec thought the Cary was a clear winner, top to bottom, front to back and side to side, and it remained that way for the rest of the session, the owner of the AMR was mute and stone faced and said nothing for the 1.5hrs of A/Bing, and probably saddened by the result, the listening session which went for 4hrs, the last 2.5hrs was the Cary only.
      The system was my Lightspeed Attenuator feeding 2 x Halcro DM-78 monoblocks (input impedance 100kohms) pushing a pair of Wilson Watt puppy 8's
      This proved what I've been hearing that this AD844 as an I/V is something very, very special when used as I've done with no feedback"

This player is as close to "State of the Art" (if there's any such thing) as I've heard under $20k.  Due to the mods, the balanced connectors no longer operate. 

Only being sold due to the owner of the last several years retiring from the hobby.

Complete with orig remote & manual. Will pack & ship worldwide at buyers cost.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By robes
      Item: Music DVDs as listed below
      Price: As per each item or group of items listed below ($80 for all) + shipping 
      Item Condition: Excellent (Discs are excellent or mint) 
      Reason for selling: Multiple copies of some, need to sell stuff for $ 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD ($13.75 COD fee from Aus Post) 
      Extra Info: Can post if necessary or pickup at Macquarie Shopping Centre  

- Jeff Beck Live At Ronnie Scott's - $15
      - Dire Straits Alchemy Live - $15 
      - Dick Cavett Show (7 discs - Rock Icons, Ray Charles, John Lennon & Yoko) - $35  
      - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame LIVE (9-disc set) - $35 

• By Aaban
      Item: Yamaha CD-S700 CD Player
      Price: $575
      Item Condition: 9.5/10
      Reason for selling: Upgraded to a CD Transport + DAC
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: Shipping anywhere in Australia included in the price

Up for sale, phenomenal CD Player. Really precise reading mechanism. Fantastic DAC. Got it on December 2018 and used only about 5-10 hours a month, so still practically as new.

More info at: https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi/cd-s700/index.html

Selling due to a recent upgrade. Price includes freight to anywhere in Australia. I've got boxes, packaging, cables, remote, and user's manual in perfect conditions.

• By robes
      Item: Music DVDs as listed below
      Price: As per each item or group of items listed below ($80 for all) + shipping 
      Item Condition: Excellent (Discs are excellent or mint) 
      Reason for selling: Multiple copies of some, need to sell stuff for $ 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD ($13.75 COD free from Aus Post) 
      Extra Info: Can post if necessary or pickup at Macquarie Shopping Centre  

- Jeff Beck Live At Ronnie Scott's - $15
      - Dire Straits Alchemy Live - $15 
      - Dick Cavett Show (7 discs - Rock Icons, Ray Charles, John Lennon & Yoko) - $35  
      - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame LIVE (9-disc set) - $35