Attaribox

Retro gaming consoles are back, first we had the nintendo machines that no one but the fanatics can get their hands on, now we have atari releasing their retro throwback....

I remember my little attari console and cartridges

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/games/atari-shows-off-ataribox-its-woodpanelled-return-to-the-video-game-hardware-business-20170718-gxdfjo.html

Atari shows off Ataribox, its wood-panelled return to the video game hardware business

Atari is planning a return to the video game console market, having previously teased a brand new machine called the Ataribox. Though details remain thin, the first images and details of the machine have now appeared online, showing off a retro-inspired box with "modern internal specs".

In an email to fans late on Monday, Atari said the Ataribox "stays true to our heritage while appealing to both old and new fans of Atari". The design of the console features a ribbed black enclosure and a raised back, echoing the iconic lines of the original Atari Video Computer System. It will come in two editions, a black console with a wood grain front panel, or black and red console with a glass front.

1500349159902.jpg

Guest rmpfyf
3 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I remember as a kid when the 1st came out....  couple of kids playing tennis that was 2 white sticks and a white dot on screen....$50-60 a game cartridge  :D

You mean Pong? That was classic.

Loved my old VCS. I think I played Pitfall for years before someone pointed out there was no end to the game...

18 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

You mean Pong? That was classic.

Loved my old VCS. I think I played Pitfall for years before someone pointed out there was no end to the game...

That's the pitfall...

• Like 1

River Raid was my fave :):)

I remember trying to play Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and quickly realising there was no way to win - you eventually always lost. Usually very quickly as this was one difficult (and demoralising) game.

Q*bert, Frogger and possibly Kung-Fu Master were also games we had.

4 minutes ago, ~Spyne~ said:

I remember trying to play Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and quickly realising there was no way to win - you eventually always lost. Usually very quickly as this was one difficult (and demoralising) game.

Used to love River Raid. I think it reminded me of 1942, that I poured so many coins into at the local chip shop.

19 hours ago, Sime said:

Problem with these re-releases is that they are a nostalgic novelty that wears off rather quickly. 

Yep, I went through this nostalgic mode about 15 years ago when I bought a Commodore 64 again with a heap of games.  It was fun for a couple of months, then I got bored and put it in the cupboard.  I again went through this stage about two years ago when I put an emulator on my NUC and had about 9,000 arcade games.  Played them for about 4-5 months then deleted it all and sold the controllers.

Guest rmpfyf
21 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

River Raid! Had that an Kung-Fu master too.

20 hours ago, Sime said:

Problem with these re-releases is that they are a nostalgic novelty that wears off rather quickly. 

Good gameplay never dies.

A few years ago I binned my old Commodore Amiga 500, because it had been sitting on a shelf for about 15 years gathering dust. It came out with 512K of RAM and an expansion of another 512K was available for a couple of hundred bucks. No HDD, everything loaded from 512K floppies, and the OS was an EPROM on the motherboard.

I modded mine, bought a SCSI expansion module (SCRAM500) that also had a RAM expansion slot that could take another 4MB of RAM (about $500), added the 4MB of RAM ($440 odd) and cut and soldered tracks to make the 512KB expansion all video RAM. I built a box to hold a PC power supply and a 110MB SCSI HDD ($550 odd). Piggybacked the new OS EPROM ($150?) off the back of the original EPROM and switched between the Chip_Select pins to select one OS or the other, before bootup. This old Amiga was a beast :D.

About 6 months after ditching the setup someone, on another forum I'm a member of, was enquiring if anyone had any old Amiga 500 gear for sale..... He almost cried when I told him what I'd done.

But yes, as others have said, the old nostalgic kick does wear off pretty quickly. I've been resurrecting a couple of old Xboxs, mainly used to stream digital music to my shed, and found some old emulators of all the old coin ops and console games... I think I lasted about 2 hours before boredom set in. And that was just to check out all the different games. I even played my old Atari 2600 game "Night Driver" and can't see how I was ever so keen to play it.

• Like 1