WARNING: Windows Creator Update conflict with Chord DAC Driver!!

Hi all.

Just a heads up for those sending bit perfect audio to Chord DACs with WASAPI from a Windows 10 PC. Following a recent upgrade to Windows 10 for Windows Creator, every time I attempt to play a song in this scenario, Windows crashes. Yes, the blue screen of death. Was hoping never to see that again, but there you go. I have since noticed that others are having a similar problem with the Chord Mojo DAC. See here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/chord-mojo-crashes-windows-10-now.853008/

In that case the guy was lucky that the Mojo is a current model and Chord are working on fixing their driver. I contacted them and no luck, my three year old QuteEX is regarded as 'legacy' and they are unlikely to do anything about the DAC, referring me to kernal streaming. (That might change if there are a lot more complaints as Creator is rolled out world-wide.) Not overjoyed at the response - the DAC was bought in 2014 for nearly $2K!  I would have liked to have seen a bit more interest in supporting a product not long off the shelves.

Either way, I have managed to get kernal streaming and ASIO playing nicely with the DAC for bit-perfect playback from MediaMonkey.  Let's hope that works for a while and Microsoft doesn't bugger it up in a future upgrade.

The point of my post is that you might want to consider your options before installing the Creator upgrade to Windows 10.

Regards,

Allan

pro tip - always wait a month or so before installing major MS updates. However do not delay installing security patches from MS.

Edited by sjay
  • Like 1

You also need to be careful with Mac though. The elCapistan release saw many problems with audio drivers. I haven't done an upgrade since. The used to better with their releases but it's always better to check no matter the platform. As for automatic updates, get rid of that. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, thanks Snook. It seems they are only updating drivers for the current products. Not interested in models that might be three year old. Pretty annoyed - not like these are cheap as chips.

21 hours ago, bigkid said:

Yes, thanks Snook. It seems they are only updating drivers for the current products. Not interested in models that might be three year old. Pretty annoyed - not like these are cheap as chips.

In that case I'd say you just need to run the version of Windows 10 before creators update. I would personally rather my device work than have the latest update that stops some random security flaw that is never applicable to my home PC..

Business/Work is a different case.

Hi Snook.  I've got the old Chord driver working with ASIO and Kernal Streaming. That will do me and I'll not update Windows any further on that machine so, fingers crossed, those options will remain viable. Going back was not going to be an easy option as I'd not set the PC up for recovery.  I'll leave well enough alone for the time being. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, it is. The damn thing upgraded, we went overseas a couple of days later and I didn't find out until too late. Nevermind, I have a workaround that is behaving itself. :-)