Sign in to follow this  
Jebediah

Denon DP75+DA307 tonearm+DK110 plinth

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on the above turntable which I'm about to acquire for a reasonable sum through my local hifi dealer whom is selling on behalf of a deceased estate. A couple of questions that spring to mind, having searched the web for info. Firstly, the table appears to be in excellent condition for its age. I've yet to hear it though because the cantilever on the existing Goldring stylus is bent, however I'm told it probably has seen very little use over the years, and on close inspection this seems accurate. However, my questions are thus:

1. Due to the age of the unit, most information I've read suggest a recap should be performed. But given its excellent condition, would this still be necessary?
  2. I've read varying opinions on the DA307 tonearm. Any first hand experiences please? Pretty sure its got VTA adjustment but can someone verify please?
  3. It seems the DA307 tonearm is meant to be mated to a Denon 103 cart. I'm happy to go down this road, however I've been interested in the Hana carts of late, and I also have a 2M Bronze that I can use. Opinions on how the Hana or Bronze would perform on this arm please? (the arm comes with the original Denon headshell btw)

Appreciate any feedback on the above questions-thanks in advance.

Edited by Jebediah

Hi Michael

Re the recap. Don't  do anything unless something fails. Having a tech going in to replace caps can trigger other issues. These Japanese tables were built to last.

Can't comment on the tonearm but it has vta and vtf adjustment 

Type: dynamically balanced, static balance type

Overall length: 332mm

Effective length: 244mm

Overhang: 14mm

Height adjustment: 42 to 70mm

Stylus pressure: 0.1g sub scaled vernier type dial

Cartridge weight range: 5 to 10g

Headshell: 6g PCL-5 magnesium alloy diecast

I am sure the Hana will be a great fit. @Hensa uses Hana cartridges and owns a similar Denon table.

As long as all thing operate normally, just sit back and enjoy it.

Edited by metal beat

Guest Hensa

I agree with Shane that you don't need to do a recap unless something isn't right. Make sure the quartz lock is holding both speeds, the pitch strobes are operational and the platter stops when the stop button is pressed and you're good to go from the drive point of view.

The arm is obviously higher mass so good for the DL-103. Look for low compliance carts if wanting other options. The Hana is pretty well a mid-compliance cart so should be fine though lower compliance might be a better match still.

Make sure you post some pics![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hensa

Thanks for the replies guys. Am very much looking forward to getting this baby and fire her up in my modest system. Got a PSU1 coming from Cheekyboy to compliment my GS Communicator phono stage, so hoping that the gains in SQ over my current setup will be more than noticeable! :party

Pics certainly when it drops :thumb:

Edited by Jebediah

...and, here it is! I won't get a chance to fire it up until the weekend, but until then it fits in nicely with the decor lol.

IMAG0994.jpg

IMAG0993.jpg

Guest Hensa

Looks excellent - well done! Look forward to your impressions after giving it a run.[emoji106]

8 hours ago, Hensa said:

Looks excellent - well done! Look forward to your impressions after giving it a run.emoji106.png

Cheers Hensa, sorry for the poor pics. Am a little torn with cart choices, either the Hana EH or a Denon DL103/r . I've a OM20 super I can throw on in the meantime to test it however :)

Guest Hensa
13 minutes ago, Jebediah said:

Cheers Hensa, sorry for the poor pics. Am a little torn with cart choices, either the Hana EH or a Denon DL103/r . I've a OM20 super I can throw on in the meantime to test it however :)

Which phono stage do you run? The Hana EH is the high output MC (2mV) while the Denon is LOMC (0.25mV). The Hana EL is the low output version with a more generous (compared to the Denon) 0.5mV. Your phono stage would need a decent level of gain for the 103R. Personally, I prefer the Hana EL to a stock 103 or 103R but plenty would disagree so you can only really try and get a listen to their sound before you purchase (difficult I know). In the meantime, the OM20 is a very nice MM so you can still enjoy the setup till you decide which way to go. Ideally the high compliance OM20 should be used with a low mass arm so while not a perfect pairing with your Denon arm, it'll make some nice music as a stop-gap!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice Hensa. Am running a Slee communicator so would prefer a HO cart, however I do have a MC switch on the phono section on my Harman Kardon PM665, and also have a Denon 1155(?) pre that accepts MC carts as well. I see there is a Slee Fanfare dedicated MC phono stage for sale in the classifieds, and I've toyed around with purchasing that as well. Too many avenues lol!

Those are very unusual tonearms because they have a rubber dampening ring which effectively splits the arm in two along its length so the arm is not rigid.A nice concept to get rid of resonances but there must be compromises elsewhere or more tonearms would be built like that.I owned one for a while and yes the Denon 103s seems to work OK on it.

Just a small update. Have got the Denon table humming along very nicely with the OM20 super cart, aligned to the best I can manage. Straight away, the overall sound has a depth and largeness to it, bass is nicely defined, top end could be a little clearer, which I know the Bronze will extract nicely. Can't wait to get the Bronze mounted on the Denon headshell. Speed is very stable, 33.2 and 44.8 rpm. I think I've got a keeper!

On 10/01/2020 at 7:56 PM, singleendedamp said:

How is your TT? I am planning buy DP75 but no plinth & Tonearm. How the DD motor ? Any issues?? 

Sorry, been out of the loop for a bit so have only just seen your question.

Have been running one of the late Duc's wood bodied DL103r's. Sounds very nice. Touch wood, no issues whatsoever with the table. I think if you ran a decent tonearm with the table you'd have a formidable combo. My arm is only so-so.

Good luck with your purchase, hope it works out for you.