Hi All,

I recently picked up an RME Babyface Pro:

http://babyface.rme-audio.de/

I purchased it for music production and speaker/room measurement purposes, but have discovered that it makes a fantastic DAC and headphone amp. It absolutely kills the dedicated "hifi" DAC/headphone amp I was previously using in my desktop system. I've had other pro-audio products before, but apart from a Benchmark DAC, none of them have particularly impressed me. The RME is very impressive, at least with my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones (I haven't had a chance to try it in my main system yet). It's dynamic, articulate, and sweet sounding. It does space very well, and satisfies both head and heart. (It's also beautifully made.) If you're after a DAC, or DAC/headphone amp, give it a trial, I think you'll be impressed. I'm impressed enough that I'll be looking to add RME's top 2-channel DAC to my main system when I have the funds.

RME Babyface Pro.jpg

Edited by LHH
  • Like 1

LOL!

Every time I recommend 'Pro' gear..............people say it's not hifi!

Great little unit.............wish I had one of those myself.

I really don't know why people spend so much on a consumer DAC when you can often buy a better pro ADDAC for similar bucks.

I have the earlier babyface and it is a fantastic unit  with a superb sounding DAC and very high quality pre amps but it does need a computer for full control of its functionality, Total Mix is awesome but has a massive learning curve and RME will eventually (already have for my unit) stop releasing updated drivers limiting the use over a fully stand alone unit.

• Like 1

I reckon all the RME stuff is great. I have an RME Fireface 400 ADC which I use for digitising vinyl. Very high quality and very hard to tell the digital recording from the original vinyl. I wish I had an ADI-2 Pro AD/DAC as well, I believe that is a great piece of kit. 

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-pro.php

I agree with the comment about Total Mix, it is awesome, but its occasionally a pita to get the Mac Mini fired up and figure out what Total Mix is doing, its not simple, apart from that, all very good.

Edited by mjs
more info
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

LOL!

Every time I recommend 'Pro' gear..............people say it's not hifi!

Great little unit.............wish I had one of those myself.

I really don't know why people spend so much on a consumer DAC when you can often buy a better pro ADDAC for similar bucks.

Depends on what you mean by "better". They usually have more features, yes. But nearly all of them have inferior power supplies, use cheap output stages, and some may not even come with RCA or XLR outputs. 

On 2017-7-12 at 10:36 PM, Keith_W said:

Depends on what you mean by "better". They usually have more features, yes. But nearly all of them have inferior power supplies, use cheap output stages, and some may not even come with RCA or XLR outputs. 

I think you've been looking at the local 'DJ' shop's Christmas stocking fillers.............

• Like 1

Don't forget that I have three pro DAC's at home ;) I have an RME Fireface, a Focusrite, and an Audiobox. The last two DAC's are hooked up to my two home PC's for music listening, and the RME is used for taking measurements in the main system.