Squeezebox & Spotify Dilemma

Hi All

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I have struck a dilemma with my current audio streaming setup and am not sure what the best alternatives and possibilities are. 

I have been streaming my digitised audio collection in flac format (both redbook and HD quality), for some time to my system via our home wireless network, and my Logitech Squeezebox Touch and external DAC. No problems so far and for the last 12 months or so I've been streaming from Spotify (premium) via the Squeezebox app. 

I've now received an email from Spotify saying that in the very near future they will no longer be supporting the Squeezebox speaker (their term) and that I will have to get a streamer which they do support. This is a pain in the you know where, as I'm happy with my current setup for all audio streaming including the current Spotify source. I guess my dilemma then is to either replace the Squeezebox with another streamer, or forget about streaming from my Spotify account. Pity, as I quite like Spotify for "exploring" music and artists etc and don't really want to just use it via my iPhone/iPad. 

I've looked into the iEast streaming device which seems really good for what it does and has been reviewed by Marc here on StereoNet, but according to that review, it's output  either via RCA connection to an amp, or SPDIF output to an external DAC is limited to either a compressed format, or redbook standard only. I'd really like to continue streaming to my system in HD flac when required, so I don't think the iEast is for me even though it's quite cheap and good for what it does do. I'd really prefer not to have to have two separate streamers ie the Squeezebox Touch for my collection and the iEast for Spotify only.

Any alternate suggestions which aren't going to break my bank account ?

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Des

1 minute ago, Happy said:

Oh now I see you still want to keep Spotify Premium despite knowing it's not FLAC quality. 

You can consider Auralic Aries or Aries Mini if you're an Apple user.

Thanks Happy - yes that's part of the dilemma. I still want to stream Spotify in it's compressed format, but not compress my own audio collection which is 99% flac in either redbook or 96kHz 24bit HD, which is what would happen using the iEast device. I'll have a look into your suggestion though unless of course you mean using an Apple PC. I do use Apple iPhone & iPad but not PC.

Cheers

Des

Are you sure that email came directly from Spotify?  I haven't had such a message and wonder if it is a phishing attempt?

So far, the Logitech Media Server community has been successful in working through/around Spotify connectivity issues. Are using the 'official' Spotify plugin for LMS, or the triode variant?

9 minutes ago, krebetman said:

Are you sure that email came directly from Spotify?  I haven't had such a message and wonder if it is a phishing attempt?

So far, the Logitech Media Server community has been successful in working through/around Spotify connectivity issues. Are using the 'official' Spotify plugin for LMS, or the triode variant?

Correction - I did receive it. I plan to install Spotty, which apparently gets around this issue. 

Edited by krebetman

• 2 weeks later...