Ad Blockers. Yes or No?

Do you use an Ad Blocker?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been reading quite a lot about the so called Photobucket Ransom.

It seems that many "free" sites have become unsustainable due to the rise of Ad Blockers. Their business model has been destroyed by the steep reduction in Ad Revenue.

I will be honest and say that I use one. Who else uses an Ad Blocker?

Guest thathifiguy

I also use a pop up blocker.

Occasionally I may or may not torrent select TV shows if availability through legal channels are limited (looking at you HBO) and torrent sites are abhorrent when it comes to pop ups.

I do but I don't mind the unobtrusive banners Marc has here.

Allmusic has gone totally over the top and made their site way hard to use.

Now  !  Google's latest trick of inserting ads on all blank spaces as 'content' around the ad blocker is causing all sorts of hell with operability generally.

• Like 1

I use an ad blocker for two reasons:

1. Ads are often a source of malware - the advertising industry knows this but does SFA about filtering content.
  2. Too many ads with "poor manners" flickering, sound, pop-ups, trackers etc.

The blocker I use, Ghostery, is set to allow some ads through so there's advertising revenue to sites I visit if they play nicely.

• Like 3

I think perhaps the main reason to use an ad blocker has been missed, which is 3. to not be tracked across the Internet.

It's not anyone's fault, but relevant to the original post, it does seem the privileges on both sides (ad servers on the one hand, and users of free services on the other) have arguably been abused.

As some guy once said "the times they are a changin'"

• Like 1

Of course I use an ad blocker.

Crazy if you don't.

Facebook and the like are almost unusable if you give them free reign.

Needless to say, this site is on the exclusion list because it is sensible in its use of advertising..............which I even click on now and then!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
Guest Muon N'

I use adblock plus, easy to unblock any site that is not an issue and block the real pesky ones like youtube and MSN ect'.

While I'm not a fecebooker, though I imagine it would help on there with all the dodgy ads/links.

Edit I also use 'NoScript'

Edited by Muon N'

On 7/13/2017 at 9:01 PM, GregWormald said:

I use one or two (including tracker blocking), and disable them for selected websites.

Greg

Same here. Ad block plus and Ghostery. Sometimes disabled at the Governor's pleasure,depending on site.

I have NFI how anyone could enjoyably spend time online without them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's actually kinda interesting to think about the way adblockers affect things such as web design and development. After all, websites do need the support of advertising to stay online :/ It's so tough, I mean, I hate the intrusion of web advertising but also want to support it as it helps keep my favorite sites alive. I guess as much as I can, I'll turn off the adblocker for certain sites.

Edited by winnerwinner