watched it yesterday, more horror than sci-fi so I wasn't expecting much but due to well made camera, audio, effects and good choice of actors all together creating sci-fi full of action and tense moments, highly recommended

• Like 2

I watched this last night with the wife.  When my wife points out the glaringly obvious "stupid move" which forms the entire premise for the plot, I knew it was going downhill fast.

A real pity as the cast, setting and concept were so promising.  A shame that the audience had to be treated like simpletons.

SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler

1. Deal with first contact with ALIEN life using protocols more appropriate to a high school bio chem lab.  No waldo operation behind at least several levels of isolation.  A rubber glove isolation box will do.
(The Andromeda Strain at least had the bio-organism adapt/evolve to consume rubber.  That would have been plausible.  An entity able to permeate glass or replicate itself across a barrier would have been truly alien.)

2. Same glove has super insulation properties.  From sub zero to room temperature.

3. Introduce an instrument into the isolation box that can penetrate the only barrier providing protection - the glove.

4. After the initial attack, wait and watch the alien make its next move instead of isolating it in an environment that was known to keep it dormant - Mars normal.

5. After the alien breaches the first "firewall", enter the same volume with no effective barrier.  We don't do this for contagious diseases victims on Earth!!!

6. Thrusters have valves open to space through which Calvin can enter the ISS?  This made no sense at all.  The ISS is not an old Citroen with a hydraulic system common to suspension, steering, transmission and brakes.

7. As a final firewall plan, use escape pods that default to the worst possible scenario - safe landing on Earth.  In order to circumvent the default outcome, the astronaut must actively pilot the pod away from Earth whilst sharing cabin space with an alien.  The same alien that could crush a hand when it was only the size of saucer and about as thick as a slice of bread.  That same alien is now large enough to crush a cosmonaut in his space suit...

Question

Why did Calvin keep the astronaut alive until landing?

Edited by MultiplexMan
Spoiler

I did consider that plot flaw. But I think there's an answer.

This all takes place in the ISS - it was never designed to handle this scenario. All they could do was to put in some quarantine protocols and quarantine some compartments.

What I don't understand is why the idiot let the alien crawl up his leg!!

4 hours ago, MultiplexMan said:

Question

Why did Calvin keep the astronaut alive until landing?

to let the story continued? :)

4 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

cuz he was busy shitting his pants, or at least I would :D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

I did consider that plot flaw. But I think there's an answer.

This all takes place in the ISS - it was never designed to handle this scenario. All they could do was to put in some quarantine protocols and quarantine some compartments.

Granted - several basic isolation boxes are actually present on the ISS.  

However if I was to receive samples from Mars, I'd leave them nicely quarantined on the Mars probe UNTIL I had suitable protocols in place.  What's the rush? It was not exactly LIFE or Death :P.

BTW - the "catch" of the Mars probe using the ISS arm - hmmm... small object with relatively high speed caught by large object in space...

m16-025.jpg

Just started watching this, up to the part where Kalvin got loose, bout time a movie put me on edge, it better not fizzle......

On 7/14/2017 at 8:26 PM, MultiplexMan said:

I watched this last night with the wife.  When my wife points out the glaringly obvious "stupid move" which forms the entire premise for the plot, I knew it was going downhill fast.

A real pity as the cast, setting and concept were so promising.  A shame that the audience had to be treated like simpletons.

SPOILER ALERT

There's a spoiler alert icon in the text box which is a better option :) -

Capture.thumb.JPG.f75cc3d66174bb94613eb3d885d7f3f3.JPG

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sime said:

@Addicted to music I loved that scene where Kalvin crushed that guys hand, finally a movie that put me on edge a bit lol

Understandedly Kalvin was clearly pissed off....don't poke Kalvin with and electrifying prod...if so then be prepared for crushed limbs; pay back!.::D

and then the rest has you on edge!  Great suspense movie!

17 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Just watched this....

im gonna stay on earth,  way too many unfriendly life forms in the universe me think...:unsure:

I was thinking about it the other day and it reminded me one document I was watching on YT lately about Permafrost in north Siberia, due to climate changes it started to melt and scientists for now have no idea what could be captured in it,  there might be thousands years old diseases or bacteria's nobody's ready for

I don't expect Kalvin jumping from the ground but we don't have to travel too far to discover something new and potentially dangerous