STAX Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

I have a STAX L300 with an SRM-353X driver. I had a friend over yesterday who owns an L300 with L500 pads, and a SRM 252S drivers. We had fun comparing the differences between the drivers and pads. Long story short, the L500 pads fit and are much more comfortable, and seem to get a better seal. They don't affect the sound that much. We had a very difficult time deciding if any differences we heard between the drivers were down to volume mismatching or confirmation bias, but the 353X seemed to have slightly deeper / cleaner bass. Nothing dramatic, though of course the 353X is much better built and has quite a few nice extra features.

We both agree that, as strange it may seem, the SRM 3100 package is good value compared to other kilobuck headphones :3

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I have a pair of SR-A  Stax headphones with SRD 7/SB Adaptor box.

Both are in need of service and or repair including replacement of the deteriorating foam in headphone set.  I get intermittency and I am not sure if it is the cable connect to the headset or something to do with innards of the adaptor box or both.

Can anybody recommend a service or repair capability preferably in Melbourne/Victoria?

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

Slightly old thread but I thougth I 'd ask.

Heading to Japan in September to audition and mostly likely buy the SR-009s.  Can anyone recommend any good hi end shops around tokyo ?  I usually buy my gear through yodobashi in shinjuku.

Thanks in advance.

As Meeki bumped this, I'll comment now.

My first STAX were SR44 and transformers driven off a variety of amps. Purchased in High School in 80 or 81.

I bought a Lambda Pro/SRM1 combo new in 1985 from Len Wallis and added a Sigma headset sometime later. In the mid 2000's I added a new 404 headset and used these as my exclusive cans until the SRM1 died (bias circuit) and I tripped over and broke the plastic band on the headset. For some reason I never got around to replacing it; this might get me to do it next week. The bias cct is an easy fix.

I also have a Gilmore Blue Hawaii in storage and a recent full SS Gilmore design (KGSSHV) not yet finished construction.

When I originally bought the system as there were no dynamics anywhere near as good, and still don't think those I've listened to in the interim, including the Sennheiser HD800 beat them, but the gap is much closer now. When in a couple of years, I have some $ spare, I'd like a set of SR007's. There are also a ton of dynamics in residence now incl the HD650 and AKG 7xx so I'm not in any hurry.

Edited by A9X

13 hours ago, Meeki said:

Hi All,

Heading to Japan in September to audition and mostly likely buy the SR-009s.  Can anyone recommend any good hi end shops around tokyo ?  I usually buy my gear through yodobashi in shinjuku.

Thanks in advance.

You can try this little shop I found, it's in Nakano which is a few train stations from Shinjuku.

They do sell a bunch of hi-fi stuff, I can't remember if they had the Stax but generally the things they sell are cheaper than Yodobashi.

https://darko.audio/2015/12/tokyos-fujiya-avic-headphone-shop-little-store-big-show/

Hi

I bought a secondhand pair of Stax 507 headphones from Fujiya Avic in the Nakano arcade. They were in perfect condition and still covered by warranty. and were cheap compared to prices here. I'm not sure that they sell Stax new but have plenty of secondhand items.

For new Stax I'd go to Audio Union in Shinjuku, they are part of the Disk Union chain that sells vinyl. I bought a Stax headphone stand from them and they had the complete range of headphones at, from memory, very reasonable prices.

Cheers

Herby

Thanks guys for the input, I'll put those 2 onto the list to visit.  I did look briefly around the web and did come across audio union but it didn't seem like they sold headphones as they seem to advertise vinyl.  So thanks for that heads up.

On 19/06/2018 at 8:44 PM, Meeki said:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

I quite like Dynamic Audio in Akihabara. It is a smaller shop off the main strip, but got most of the stuff and is quieter.

If you are after headphones gears then e-earphone also in Akihabara is well worth a visit. They are a dedicated headphones and earphones shop with extensive stock of both new and second hand products that are pretty much free for all to try. From memory not a lot of Stax stuff though. Not 100% sure if they do tax free shopping.

Yodobashi in Akihabara also have a very extensive range of stuff, but is quite noisy. Interestingly they also have ear pads for a range of Lambdas and SR-007 in stock, which can come in very handy.

If you do decide to buy Stax headphones, consider getting the official stand and plastic cover. They are significantly cheaper in Japan compare to eBay and in Australia.

On 20/06/2018 at 6:28 PM, Herbyj said:

Hi

I bought a secondhand pair of Stax 507 headphones from Fujiya Avic in the Nakano arcade. They were in perfect condition and still covered by warranty. and were cheap compared to prices here. I'm not sure that they sell Stax new but have plenty of secondhand items.

For new Stax I'd go to Audio Union in Shinjuku, they are part of the Disk Union chain that sells vinyl. I bought a Stax headphone stand from them and they had the complete range of headphones at, from memory, very reasonable prices.

Cheers

Herby

Fujiya Avic is good, and the arcade it is in was also a bit quieter when I was there, making it better to demo. Don't expect much from their warranty though, they only deal with locals. So if something go wrong you will have to find someone local to deal with them, they won't do anything even if you post the item back to them.

Edited by rx79ez08
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Citat:My first STAX were SR44 and transformers driven off a variety of amps. Purchased in High School in 80 or 81.

My first STAX were SR40 and I bought them a few months ago.
Have had a big jump between Stax and Koss ESP9 but it has worked.
As I said earlier, my QSC power stage is the same as the 1988 headphones.

You know that with the whole diaphragm moving in parallel with the drag force it's not soooo wrong. Now it's not QSC but still.
  And that makes some like Stax and similar constructions. You are hanging out with antique things !!

Anyone who does not think this is a Stax recording so take me out of this error, with Stax .... so I mean good class on the recording.

DSCF9333.thumb.JPG.208c40ddd524609d2ed838f6fdcecc61.JPG

Edited by 13000km
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2017 at 6:38 AM, White Lotus said:

I wrote a review of the SRS-3100 system, if anyone is interested:

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-stax-srs-3100-electrostatic-earspeaker-system

Great review! I have had the SRS-3100 for over a year, and I am still surprised every time I pick them up how good it is. I have listed to many headphones in Japan and only the HD800s surpass these headphones in my book.

Cheers,

Ata

• Love 1

On 21/07/2018 at 1:14 AM, aparashk said:

Great review! I have had the SRS-3100 for over a year, and I am still surprised every time I pick them up how good it is. I have listed to many headphones in Japan and only the HD800s surpass these headphones in my book.

Cheers,

Ata

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

I'm still tempted to buy a pair, to be honest..

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Am currently in Japan, just got home from purchasing the SR-009s and the SRM-D10.  Already have the SR-009 at home in AU and did a direct comparison with a store set of 009.

Initial impression was that it was smoother and warmer, most noticeable in the vocal range maybe a little more detailed but I will confirm that later with my home setup.  Will write. Little more when I’ve been able listen a little more.  Suffice to say I was impressed enough to fork out the big ones but maybe i’m just too easy to get.

Will add photos soon.

Edited by Meeki
Added AU
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was in Akihabara a month ago. Got to listen to the SR-003 Mk2 all the way to the two SR-009 and SR-009s with the T8000.

Of the two I preferred the SR-009 more. Ended up placing an order on the new SR-009BK

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently tossing up whether to pick up a SR-007 Mk II and one of the Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon amps.  Is there anybody around that has tried that combination?

Thanks,
Rick.