STAX Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

Sleepy little place this, isn't it? There's a flurry of three posts and then everyone slips back into a coma again. I'm more used to the hustle-bustle of Head-Fi, where you post something and go back two minutes later to find five replies, all of them detailed. Hmmm...

Now I'll go back into hibernation. :)

• 2 weeks later...
... now waiting on the transformer from Mad Electronics which has been put on back order..;)

How annoying. How long will it take? Are you committed to buying from them, or can you cancel the order? I got my transformer from Tortech direct - it was a little more expensive, but their online ordering was easier than MAD's, and it was here in under 48 hours.

Hey Hens ,Dick Smith wouldn't have the one I'm after.

AAG,I rung Mads today and as its nearly 2 weeks they will let me know if its on its way or refund tomorrow.I rung Tortech and they have 3 in stock.

Cheers

the dick smith transfomer does not work , it has output of 115v, if you try to use it on the 100v amp,in the long run it will damage the tubes of the amp due to too high bias.

fyi, if you are handy with the solder iron, all stax amp can be rewire for 110v, 220v, 240v input. it will save you some money from getting the step down transformer

some info and pic here

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/223263/the-stax-thread-new/13830

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/223263/the-stax-thread-new/15510

stax had cut the wire in their new amp to prevent people from rewiring to different voltage , but it is still possible to

reconnect those cut wires using solder iron as shown in the pics in this thread

http://bbs.headphoneclub.com/viewthread.php?tid=111092&extra=&highlight=007t&page=2

Hey Minivan

Thanks for the Tip..:mad:

Here is the one I ordered and I believe its the same one AAG is using..

Unit Details:

Part no. SD100-300

Converts Voltage down from 240 volt to 100 volt Japanese

Fully enclosed unit with a white powder coated finish

Fuse protected on the 100 volt side

Built to Australian standard AS 61558

300VA Rating

1 power outlets

Dimensions: L176 x W159 x H105 mm

Weight: 4.5kg

stepdown-1.jpg

tortechtransformer2.jpg

Edited by Stump

... in the long run it will damage the tubes of the amp due to too high bias ...

Yes - you're absolutely right. 115V is far too much of a risk for 100V Japanese equipment. It's entirely possible for a "hot" supply of 250V to produce 120V out of a 240/115 transformer and this will stress all parts of a 100V amp - the bias and filament voltages will be way above the safe tolerance ranges for a start.

From a quick check of my amp (600LE) there was no "tail" at all on the cut transformer windings, so rewiring could be a clumsy process. I think Stax has made it even more difficult than before. Thanks however for the links - particularly to bbs.headphoneclub.com - I've not seen those pictures before.

tortech transformer will be the one to go for if you dont want to rewire the tranformer itself. in fact using a transformer may be a good thing it help to get rid of those dc output of the wall socket outlet if there's any.

stax cut those wire all the way to the transformer, so there's no tail you can find , you really have to get a piece of bare wire and stick it into those hole where

the cut wire reside and carefully reconnect it with solder.

Sleepy little place this, isn't it? There's a flurry of three posts and then everyone slips back into a coma again. I'm more used to the hustle-bustle of Head-Fi, where you post something and go back two minutes later to find five replies, all of them detailed. Hmmm...

Now I'll go back into hibernation. :mad:

I'm no expert AT ALL but even I gave up on Head-fi after a short time, it's the most useless forum on the entire net. All talk no walk. Too many big boys with small toys and small minds. Boring.

I'd rather hibernation, it's for a reason, people are actually 'listening'.

Hey, braddo, I posted that 10 days ago! Where have you been--hibernating? ;)

I guess the reason there's no walk on Head-Fi is because the headphones would get ripped off their heads. But seriously...I agree there's a lot of rubbish on Head-Fi. Probably 95% of it could be junked with no loss (stuff like "My left driver doesn't sound quite the same as the right"--"Name your favourite earbuds under $50"). The other 5%, however, can be quite enlightening.

... Here is the one I ordered and I believe its the same one AAG is using...

That's the one ;)

It's a little "workshop" looking, but I just hid mine under a stand and it's pretty much anonymous. Tortech make good stuff - I've ordered transformers from them with custom windings for DIY valve amp projects over the years - they have always worked flawlessly, and the service is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally

The Transformer arrived last week and have put the Stax Combo 507+600LE to the test.Given I have not had much headphone experience,I enjoy the sounds that come out of this combo.There is no shortage of BASS even with low volume and they really are like speakers on your ears.They wont take over listening to my speakers but are nice to have for late night listening and critical listening to selected CDs.Plus getting use out of the Balanced part of the Sony SCD-1is a treat.

• 6 years later...
12 minutes ago, White Lotus said:

What made you try them out in the first place?

I have had most of the top end dynamic headphones and amps . Same with planar magnetic.

So been there done that.

Stax was just a logical next step.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, White Lotus said:

Any photos?

What made you try them out in the first place?

A friend of my my cousin challenge me to try this out and tell him what the difference between CD and vinyl.

Once I put the Lambda Pro on my head it was game over, no more vinyl for this set of ears.  And....I just have to have the a set of Stax.  

ESL between the ears with a class A amp to match,  the clarity was better than anything available at the time.

Do you find amplification to play a big part when it comes to Stax?

Changing an amp can be "night and day" when it comes to dynamic headphones, but I'm curious about your thoughts different amps make on Stax units. 

Edited by White Lotus

8 minutes ago, White Lotus said:

Do you find amplification to play a big part when it comes to Stax?

Changing an amp can be "night and day" when it comes to dynamic headphones, but I'm curious about your thoughts different amps make on Stax units. 

Yes it does just like with any transducer.  

I was at Tivoli HiFi recently and I tried the different Stax drivers there with the same 407.  The differences is so.....different it's not funny.  The difference between the 307, 407, 007 all have there unique SQ and coloration so you need to carefully decide your preference.

• 4 weeks later...