Wiffle

Best sound blocking material between floors?

Hi Wiffle,

Any updates on your build mate? I'm about to build my new walls downstairs so wanted your thoughts on the sound isolation of footsteps, noise bleed through etc.

Cheers,
Brett

55 minutes ago, bjc said:

Hi Wiffle,

Any updates on your build mate? I'm about to build my new walls downstairs so wanted your thoughts on the sound isolation of footsteps, noise bleed through etc.

Cheers,
Brett

Hi Brett,

Well definitely some updates, but whether or not they'll help remains uncertain!

It's been a very slow project due to me working on it when I have spare time/funds, so at this point I've got the ceiling in; which is the original layer of chipboard glued/screwed to the existing floorboards, then a double layer of acoustic batts (c.180mm thick in total), then furring channel attached to resilient mounts mounted to the joists, then a layer of 16mm Fyrchek, and then Greenglue and a layer of 13mm Fyrchek. Because of the double brick pillars on the sidewalls I need to build a frame to attach the sidewalls to; as such there's a c150mm gap all around the edges of the ceiling until I put the walls in, so there's plenty of space for sound to leak around the edges! That said, it has made a very substantial difference to the level of sound transfer between rooms, in the order of 60-70 % I'd say. Once it's all boxed in I think it'll be pretty damn close to complete blockout, maybe 95%.

I hope that helps!

Cheers mate,

Steve :-)

Thanks Steve. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but I don't have that much headroom for two layers of gyprock. The biggest issue with these old high set houses in Nth Qld are that they move a lot as far as expanding and contracting go so might just go with ply over the current fibro cement sheeting/asbestos combo...

Thanks Steve. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but I don't have that much headroom for two layers of gyprock. The biggest issue with these old high set houses in Nth Qld are that they move a lot as far as expanding and contracting go so might just go with ply over the current fibro cement sheeting/asbestos combo...
If you're doing that I'd definitely suggest using greenglue in between; it'll work much better that just standard glue/screw to cut down noise transmission!