Phono pre for Thorens

I have a Thorens TD 190 with Ortofon OMB 10 cart. The phono pre amp 9v battery powered that I use is a no name brand and I think it cost me $26 about 10 years ago.

In search of a better sound all round I was thinking of upgrading the phono pre to either Cambridge Audio CP2, Vincent PHO-08 or PHO-700.

Apart from that should I change cart or change both or am I wasting my time with upgrading for this TT?

Looking forward to your input.

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Batty said:

For a mere $150 I'll sell you my Hagerman Bugle 2, I'll even include postage just for you.

It is in the classifieds.

I'd have loved to buy it if I had my second table out for use :/

I used to own a dual cs 455-1 which is what that thorens is rebadged from. It is actually a really good auto turntable. I used to upgrade from grado black to denon dl110 and definitely enjoy the difference. omb10 is pretty good cartridge it's on the same level as an ortofon 2mred so I would suggest a better phono would be the go.

@LogicprObe, I agree with your statement. Thank you.

@mloutfie, Thank you for giving me a background understanding and step by step advice. I was not sure where the OMB10 stood in regards to how good or bad it is or the TT.

So I guess my next step is to decide what phono pre I want. I think out of my choices it would be pretty hard to go wrong.

Guest Hensa
14 minutes ago, Interface said:

@LogicprObe, I agree with your statement. Thank you.

@mloutfie, Thank you for giving me a background understanding and step by step advice. I was not sure where the OMB10 stood in regards to how good or bad it is or the TT.

So I guess my next step is to decide what phono pre I want. I think out of my choices it would be pretty hard to go wrong.

You could contact mwhouston and ask if he could build you one of his Mimic battery operated MM stages. Fantastic value (under $200) and slayed similarly priced commercial offerings.

Guest Hensa

Not sure where you are in Sydney, but you're welcome to borrow mine for a short test in your system if that might help. I'm up near Hornsby.

While not a option given its price point in my recent search for a phono stage I did see this. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thorens-TEP-302-Phono-Pre-Amplifier/272749104061?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I didn't know up until seeing the advert that Thorens made their own phono stage. Can't find one review on it so have no idea what it is like or how it compares.

cheers Terry

Don't forget the Graham Slee loaner program that is available through commercial member Keith @ Wyndham Audio. You could try one of the more entry level Slee phono stages. I have the Communicator and rate it highly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on getting a new phono.

I bought a Mimic phono from Mark Houston.

It arrived today.

Took it home and played a track with the old phono then swapped to Mimic after waiting 5 minutes for warm up before using.

Totally amazed!

I had to turn down the volume down to equal the old phono. The bass changed to a clean punch, the sound floor dropped big time revealing  an inky darkness where there is no sound. Everything cleaner and more defined. The more I play the better it sounds. Love it.

A truly gob smacking bit of kit.

Excellent value for money. I'm so happy.

Thanks Mark.

Cheers.

• Like 6

On 06/07/2017 at 9:01 PM, mloutfie said:

I used to own a dual cs 455-1 which is what that thorens is rebadged from. It is actually a really good auto turntable. I used to upgrade from grado black to denon dl110 and definitely enjoy the difference. omb10 is pretty good cartridge it's on the same level as an ortofon 2mred so I would suggest a better phono would be the go.

The Ortofon OM10 is definitely a pretty good cart, you can step up to the 20, but its not really nescessary. I agree with LogicprObe test each component separately, and see whether YOU can hear a difference. Hi-Fi is deeply personal like this. If you can't hear a noticeable difference then save yourself some money and don't buy a more expensive piece of kit.

On the other hand, I have a cheap Behringer Phono amp, it probably does what it has to do. It's got RIAA approval, but it just sounds nasal and not very musical at all so its sitting on my shelf of things I should get rid of eventually. You don't want a lot of gear on that shelf particularly if its costing you good money.