Hi

Blk plastic

I thought the whole of the series seemed to be 'just going through the motions', not a whole lot of  new area covered,  hopefully with a new 'Doctor' things may improve.

The 'Whovians' show, I lasted 10 minutes of mostly big noting, self glorifying drivel.

TARDISesSm.jpg

JJ

• Like 1

Gees, there is no pleasing some people.  Its a kids show that has been going since I was a kid and got excited because Tom Baker came to Brisbane and signed my autograph book.....first and only autograph as i lost interest in the concept after that. As a bit of a laugh for a Sunday night its fine.

i just watch for the assistants mostly. Long held nerd tradition. No compliants with the last three, even if i am getting way to old to admit that in polite company. Didn't think I would like Bill but she grew on me.  Episode one of her demise was quite effective.  "I was well sucked in". Part 2 maybe not so, but i liked some of the ideas they tried.  

Once you are over 50 its all been done.  Truely original ideas are pretty darn rare.  Does not mean you u can't enjoy some escapism as you did when you were a kid.  

I've come to the conclusion that Moffet sets everything up really well and then glosses over any necessary explanation for the episode and then throws an ending at you.  I used to love Doctor Who back when the BBC had actual physicists working on episodes and they put in a little (and it only needs to be a little) effort in the science department. 

Missy was the best part of this season IMO, as impractical as it seems I just love that umbrella.

I hope the stories change direction/recipe with the new show runner but I guess even if they don't I'll still watch it, because it's Doctor Who.

I've always been a rather casual viewer of Doctor Who. I reckon the recent series is all over the place though. The stories seem incoherent, disconnected, and just seem to jump around at random. There is also far too much of an attempt to build some sort of mystique around 'The Doctor'. Its a trend that that has been going on for quite some time now, and I think its becoming rather tiresome.

Its 'brain in neutral' stuff, which is why I still watch it from time to time. Just forget about trying to follow any sort of plot. And sometimes there are still daleks!

• Like 1

@Janjuc Agreed absolutely. Don't get me started on The Whovians. Couldn't reach for the remote fast enough when Rove' s booming voice kicks in at the end.

@Briz Vegas As much as it was a kids show, it's gone on  to become much more than that.This last season felt forced,like they were racing to the finish line. Like @Cafad said, set up a nice plot then gloss over  any explanations ,and tack on an end.I'm still keen to see what happens next,it's just this season didn't rock for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darth vader said:

Amy Pond had some fiery red haired goodness.

The irony is that she has landed an ongoing role in the Marvel universe of movies but have to shave off her hair ;)

The best Amy episodes for me were

• The Girl Who Waited
  • Vincent and the Doctor
  • Flesh and Stone

10 hours ago, darth vader said:

Clara Oswald was "the" companion IMO. Amy Pond had some fiery red haired goodness.

To me Dr Who is Star wars on a BBC budget.

To the day, the weeping angels were still the scariest baddies...and they did nothing!

Here is a picture I took of a weeping angel on the banks of the River Torrens.

P1000989a.thumb.jpg.3966801152f567ad6772bf8a2e8f722f.jpg

Actually, its a memorial to George Fife Angas, one of SA's founders.

I always find this a rather curious monument, the placement of the statue on the step seems a bit creepy to me. Certainly reminds me of Dr Who's weeping angels, but of course its just a statue..........  or is it?

Definitely a disappointing season.

I think Matt Smith has been the best Doctor in the modern series and was able to draw you in by himself.  In saying that I think the combination of Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman was brilliant, even my wife who hates Dr Who would find herself drawn into watching them, excellent onscreen chemistry.  Peter Capaldi and Jenna combination took a bit to warm up to but it did end up working. 

The Peter and Pearl (Bill) combination has been hard to really draw an emotional attachment too, maybe it just hasn't been long enough?

Agreed on the weeping angels, as monster the concept is brilliant and terrifying.

Karen Gillan (Amy) apart from being in the Marvel universe now is also in the new Jumanji.

The whole Amy and Rory and their daughter who ends up being River Song was quite a good piece of background storyline.

Edited by luke352
  • Like 1

On 03/07/2017 at 6:37 PM, Addicted to music said:

I only watched Doctor Who, because he had a personal assistant.  When I was a kid, I was much in love with Sara....:love

I'm with you, Sarah Jane was one of my favourites.  R.I.P. Elisabeth Sladen

29 minutes ago, arthur63 said:

I'm not sure about the Doctor being female, but thought Michelle Gomez as Missy was great.  Disappointed that they've killed off the character.

Oh come on, the master has been killed off many, many times in the past.  No reason why this should be any different.  Also, Missy already proved earlier in the episode that she could remember at least one thing from the past when she produced the spare circuit for the masters Tardis so I think she would remember a big thing like that.

Granted, there's always the possibility of the Master/Missy re-appearing but Michelle Gomez as far as I've read has left the show.  So her portrayal of the character has probably ended.

15 minutes ago, arthur63 said:

Granted, there's always the possibility of the Master/Missy re-appearing but Michelle Gomez as far as I've read has left the show.  So her portrayal of the character has probably ended.

Yeah, different show runner different characters.  That way the new fellow has a clean slate to do with as he pleases.

I think Peter Capaldi got sick of the role, not so much filming the series, but all the endless TV talk shows and the 'Special Appearances' for Dr Who related events, you could see him being quite fed up with the whole thing in a few TV interviews, almost gritting his teeth while answering inane questions.