Good quality NAS

41 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

What filters are you guys talking about?

Is this to keep Ethernet noise out?

Sorry Daz, I went off topic there. That’s all about HQ Player’s digital  filters for upsampling. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Are the NAS fans noisy? Was hoping to keep the NAS behind the hi fi shelving and not have 'stuff' sitting in other rooms.

Usually quiet but does depend on model. Mine sits next to HiFi gear, cannot hear it. Putting it behind your gear may mean it is sucking in hot air, rather than room temperature.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Usually quiet but does depend on model. Mine sits next to HiFi gear, cannot hear it. Putting it behind your gear may mean it is sucking in hot air, rather than room temperature.

Thanks Snoop, my shelving isn't enclosed so will be good methinks.

Am thinking something like this with two 4TB running whatever RAID it is that duplicates one disc to the other-

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS718

Edited by Darren69

4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Am thinking something like this with two 4TB running whatever RAID it is that duplicates one disc to the other-

Or http://www.qnapshop.com.au/QNAP-TS-251-8G-2-Bay-Diskless-NAS-Quad-core-2.0GHz-CPU-8GB-RAM?gclid=Cj0KCQjwodrXBRCzARIsAIU59TK1RoW8vyWoYlA5NGsr0Otz3Hsxd0-gzXqdG6hZiScdgC4rhOE2N0waAoecEALw_wcB

With 8GB of RAM. Essentially same spec machine but more RAM and cheaper and from Qnap. Helps if you run apps on the NAS like UPNP or even Plex. 

Either Western Digital RED or Seagate's Iron Wolf NAS drives will do you. If you wanna go to their pro series, they have lower mean time failure. But you pay more. Mine, isn't pro but been running for over 4 years non-stop. 

http://www.qnapshop.com.au/internal-hdd/nas/

Edited by Sirmorebeer
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Darren69 said:

As long as you have lots of air circulation, that is ok. Biggest enemy of disk drives is heat.

I have 2 Synology NAS, the first one 2 bay, now relegated to backup duties. Second one is 4 bay.  Get as big a disk as you can afford, have not checked for a while but I think $/TB sweet spot is 6TB (?).

Like Synology, they have served me well. But others here like Qnap.

Edited by Snoopy8
Bloody spell checker Snap!
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Synology unit showed up today along with the Red pros, wow it is a nice piece of gear, it looks like it's really been made with love, not something to hide, just another boring bit of computer stuff.

• Like 1

I have a QNAP TS-219pii I purchased in 2010 with 2x2TB drives (small by today’s standards it a lot then) and its been flawless all that time delivering video content to my network and functioning as a Time Machine for my Mac . Great little unit and it’s just recently began serving my audio to a roon rock! I believe both QNAP and Synology make good gear.

Drew

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Do I need to install Raid 1 off the net or does it come with the machine and needs setting up? Can talk to it now through the local network.

Just follow the install instructions, raid will be one of the setup options as you go through the setup wizard, raid is included in the diskstation software

Edited by awayward
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, awayward said:

Just follow the install instructions, raid will be one of the setup options as you go through the setup wizard, raid is included in the diskstation software

Just clicking around here, set up a 'volume' and named it music backup, during the set up it asked what Raid did I want and selected Raid 1 for the two drives, seems to have worked. Maybe after we shut down the modem tonight and restart tomorrow, things might 'see' each other.

7 minutes ago, awayward said:

What do mean by this?

Using the Naim app, I try to configure 'backup storage' through 'network storage' (local is the internal HDD) but it tells me I have no network storage. Yet I can configure the NAS through the network (just turned the LED's off on the NAS,  pretty cool huh?)

getting there!

Did this and now the Naim see's the NAS-

Found an old thread here (thank PETERHA):

http://forums.naimaudio.com/to...29#35920103667435629

The solution – at least in my case – was exactely the same:

I have made two changes in my NAS.
      - Changed the Workgroup name to Workgroup
      - enabled the local master browser

Best, Lorenz

bit it states it is 'read only' so canna be used as a backup but I will see how we fix that.

Edited by Darren69

13 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Using the Naim app, I try to configure 'backup storage' through 'network storage' (local is the internal HDD) but it tells me I have no network storage. Yet I can configure the NAS through the network (just turned the LED's off on the NAS,  pretty cool huh?)

Google is your friend in situations like this, it might be permissions on the backup storage volume restricting access, but could be many things, the joys of modern bloody technology ?

6 minutes ago, awayward said:

Google is your friend in situations like this, it might be permissions on the backup storage volume restricting access, but could be many things, the joys of modern bloody technology ?

All sorted, found some spot where I could tick 'read/write' permissions and it's all go.

Raid One.

Weekly backups.

Damn, I might get a job with IT. :D

Not.

Have ripped 10 CD this arvo, all loads great, meta data, album covers, the works, I like the Naim app. When all done will play with the Naim app vs ROON and see how we go.

Thanks maate. You're a bloody gem even if you do like Holdens.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 1