Good quality NAS

17 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

After 3 1/2 years my Synology DS411slim bit the dust.  I have 2 1tb 2.5 HDD in Raid 0 running.    It hadn't been turned off since purchase.

I wasn't overly concerned as my 750 gig of music was backed up.

After getting it checked out it was discovered the 411 Motherboard dead and the HDD's were fine.    I went out and bought the newer NAS version which is the DS416 slim.    the 416 is identical to the 411 in basically all stats so the HDD just slotted straight in to their bays.       Fired it up and no issues.  

I was concerned in setup the disks would reformat and I would have to reload the music, but thankfully the Unit just worked like a gem and all my music was fine.   My mini pc and JRiver read it all like nothing had happened.   

It is not often that Computers work this seamlessly but I guess I got lucky.

The Motto, of course, is 'Back UP your Data.'

Regards Cazzesman

Got lucky there Cazz. Running Raid 0 is very risky but since you have a backup scheme setup then the risk is acceptable. 

Hi Kat.  Now you mentioned the Raid 0 I rechecked.  It is actually set to Raid 1 a mirror image.  My thinking is that both HDD are not likely to crash 100% at the same time so my data should be safe on one of them.   Plus the external backup. :thumb:

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards Cazzesman

On 08/03/2018 at 9:46 AM, cazzesman said:

I was concerned in setup the disks would reformat and I would have to reload the music, but thankfully the Unit just worked like a gem and all my music was fine.   My mini pc and JRiver read it all like nothing had happened.   

Hi Cazzesman

Can you share a little more on this part? I always wanted to know how I would transfer existing (and good condition) HDD's to a new NAS - assuming it's from Synology to Synology.

You didn't have to do anything at all? As in, you just put the old drives in the new NAS and boot-up and it was off and running - it self/auto setup?

Cheers!

Hi Sean,

As you probably know Synology has software DSM (DiskStation Manager) that controls the NAS systems.

Initially, I was told to start the new 416 Slim without the 2 x HDD installed.  But when I did so the setup, the program wouldn't move forward without the 2 x HDD inserted into bays 1 and 2.  I only have 2 HDD and not the 4 available in the unit.     It did not ask me to select the Raid format I wanted it just reverted to the Raid 1 format i.e. Mirror HDD's.

I suspect that when I inserted the 2 HDD they would be reformated as part of the setup.  To my surprise, the install package just said 'Welcome Back' and proceeded to install the HDD onto the NAS.   Prior to the setup I had installed the latest DSM onto my PC.     The old version of the DSM I had with the 411 Slim was auto-deleted and replaced with the current version.      

Once the 416 went through the setup process the new DSM kicked in.  The HDD remained as they were and no formatting took place.     

I'm not sure if I got lucky or it this is the normal procedure but it worked as I had hoped.

Regards Cazzesman                

Edited by cazzesman
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Yep I'd read that when I first bought my DS918+ which is why I was surprised at how much simpler @Cazzesman's experience was.

All that matters is it's working I guess ?

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/03/2018 at 8:01 PM, Sean84 said:

Yep I'd read that when I first bought my DS918+ which is why I was surprised at how much simpler @Cazzesman's experience was.

All that matters is it's working I guess ?

Cheers

May I ask - I am considering the 918+.  Would it be sufficient for running Roon Core as well as all its other tasks (I will have security cameras, the usual file management and backing up, and maybe set up a virtual machine), or am I best still building a separate headless computer for Audio duties that can be connected to the NAS?  I'd likely use an SMS-200 or similar as an endpoint to my main system.....

Chjeers! Mat

8 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

May I ask - I am considering the 918+.  Would it be sufficient for running Roon Core as well as all its other tasks (I will have security cameras, the usual file management and backing up, and maybe set up a virtual machine), or am I best still building a separate headless computer for Audio duties that can be connected to the NAS?  I'd likely use an SMS-200 or similar as an endpoint to my main system.....

Chjeers! Mat

G'day Mat

It depends. Are you planning to up-sample to DSD256 to your SMS-200 (or similar)? The DS918+ can do DSD256 up-sampling well if nothing else is running on the NAS. It won't do DSD512 - not enough horse power.

If you're not doing any DSP, Roon Server will use little CPU, so I'd take a guess that you'd be fine but it's only a guess. I don't do any security camera and virtual machine stuff with my DS918+.

Hopefully some others can help you out there.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Sean84 said:

G'day Mat

It depends. Are you planning to up-sample to DSD256 to your SMS-200 (or similar)? The DS918+ can do DSD256 up-sampling well if nothing else is running on the NAS. It won't do DSD512 - not enough horse power.

If you're not doing any DSP, Roon Server will use little CPU, so I'd take a guess that you'd be fine but it's only a guess. I don't do any security camera and virtual machine stuff with my DS918+.

Hopefully some others can help you out there.

Cheers

Yeah those were my thoughts.  It's sounding safer to perhaps organise an audio-specific headless computer so take out the guesswork and keep it all separated.  DSD not essential but certainly entertaining it.  Mat

45 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Yeah those were my thoughts.  It's sounding safer to perhaps organise an audio-specific headless computer so take out the guesswork and keep it all separated.  DSD not essential but certainly entertaining it.  Mat

If you need the Roon Core to be inside the listening room, a sonicTransporter i5/i7 is the way to go (cheaper than Roon's Nucleus and still fanless and silent).

If your Roon Core can be outside of the listening room, just build a ROCK with a NUC i7,

In either case, just point Roon Core to the music stored on the NAS.

Edited by Sean84

57 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

If you need the Roon Core to be inside the listening room, a sonicTransporter i5/i7 is the way to go (cheaper than Roon's Nucleus and still fanless and silent).

If your Roon Core can be outside of the listening room, just build a ROCK with a NUC i7,

In either case, just point Roon Core to the music stored on the NAS.

Thanks mate.  They were my thoughts.  Roon core can go anywhere.  ST's a bit expensive, so maybe a NUC instead.....

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

3 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Thanks mate.  They were my thoughts.  Roon core can go anywhere.  ST's a bit expensive, so maybe a NUC instead.....

I went for the NUC and it works seamlessly. It struggles with HQ Player conversion to DSD 256 but handles Roon upsampling no problems.

• Like 1

I also went for an Intel i7 NUC running ROCK in my study/office, now using a 2-bay Synology DS218plus NAS with two mirrored 8Tb drives. I stream music to four different sound systems, with two more in the pipeline.

If you're using your NAS for other applications I suspect running Roon Core on it as well could be problematic.

5 hours ago, lloyd_borrett said:

I also went for an Intel i7 NUC running ROCK in my study/office, now using a 2-bay Synology DS218plus NAS with two mirrored 8Tb drives. I stream music to four different sound systems, with two more in the pipeline.

If you're using your NAS for other applications I suspect running Roon Core on it as well could be problematic.

Thanks.  I’m on the right track it seems.  Is an i7 overkill or is the NUC doing other duties?

1 hour ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Is an i7 overkill or is the NUC doing other duties?

I went for an Intel NUC7i7BNH with 16GB of RAM, and a Samsung 250GB 960 EVO M.2 (PCIE) SSD, plus an Intel SSD 520 Series 240GB (because I had one lying around doing nothing). The i7 one isn't a lot more than the i3 or i5 versions. This configuration is way up on the minimum specs and probably total overkill for the job as I don't currently do any audio processing. But I've hopefully future proofed it.

Each day I run a backup to the SSD drive (which is all that drive is used for), plus another backup to the NAS.

Given when using the Intel NUC as a ROCK it's running a very specific OS, it's unlikely you'd ever use it to do anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if a dumb question-

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/synology-ds718-2-bay-nas-2x-wd-wd20efrx-2tb-red-nas-hdd-ac07609#detailTabs=tabOverview

Is this talking about 2 x 2TB drives, backing up each other, giving a storage capacity of 2TB?

Re visiting the thread to search storage for my up-coming Naim. ;) 

1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/synology-ds718-2-bay-nas-2x-wd-wd20efrx-2tb-red-nas-hdd-ac07609#detailTabs=tabOverview

Is this talking about 2 x 2TB drives, backing up each other, giving a storage capacity of 2TB?

I think it depends upon how you set them up mate.  RAID setting will determine available overall memory vs backup....

I’m currently looking at the Synology 918+.....

• Like 1

On 18/04/2018 at 6:21 PM, a.dent said:

I went for the NUC and it works seamlessly. It struggles with HQ Player conversion to DSD 256 but handles Roon upsampling no problems.

Hi a.dent,

Is that an i5 or i7 NUC that struggles with HQP up-sampling to DSD256? Which filters in particular struggle? The 2s variants or non 2s?

If you don't mind me asking.

Cheers

36 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

You will have to make a decision on a raid option when you setup, raid 0 treats each hdd as an independent disk, giving you 4tb, raid 1 mirrors the disks giving you 2tb in total. I would advise on raid 1 to cater for disks or sector failures. HDDs are relatively cheap so get 2x 4tb and you will be set for life, well maybe 7-10 years. Daz I have a Synology DS216Play with 2 4tb WD red drives using raid 1, great easy to use nas.

Edited by awayward
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sean84 said:

Hi a.dent,

Is that an i5 or i7 NUC that struggles with HQP up-sampling to DSD256? Which filters in particular struggle? The 2s variants or non 2s?

If you don't mind me asking.

Cheers

It's the i7 that is recommended on the Roon website. Not sure of the model.

Here it is NUC7i7BNH 8GB RAM 128GB M.2 SSD

9 hours ago, a.dent said:

It's the i7 that is recommended on the Roon website. Not sure of the model.

Here it is NUC7i7BNH 8GB RAM 128GB M.2 SSD

Cheers! And that's doing the HQP up-sampling?

You're running Linux or Windows on that NUC for HQP?

And which filters are struggling with up-sampling to DSD256? Any 2s filters? Or only the non-2s filters?

Cheers

Edited by Sean84

Good questions.

I can't remember the filters.

I was running Ubuntu. Tried ROCK first then wanted HQ Player. Somehow the OS got corrupted last week and won't boot so back to my Mac Mini i7 which seems to run all the HQ Player filters OK.

I think I'll try Snakeoil OS again to see if it will run on the NUC and handle HQ Player.

• Like 1