Sign in to follow this  
MusicHaven

Good integrated upto $3.5k for Harbeth 30.1

Pre loved Copland?

It might be above your budget but I have a Leben CS600 that I used to use with me Harbeth. The synergy is amazing. Might be listing it soon. 

9 hours ago, hugo_wilco said:

It might be above your budget but I have a Leben CS600 that I used to use with me Harbeth. The synergy is amazing. Might be listing it soon. 

Looks like a nice amp.  My experience with Harbeth speakers is that they lean towards the warm side. How does the Leben compliment?

Edited by Nap250

Sounds really great with KT120's. Had amazing synergy when I had the 30.1 which I regret selling to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, MusicHaven said:

Hi Folks

what about Hegel integrated?

I have a HEGEL H300, which is a nice amp in a lot of ways, it has good power, dynamics and is reasonably neutral.

I used it with my Harbeth 30.1 for a while, its an ok match but I think you can do better tonally, ie the Luxman integrated's would probably be a better match for the kind of music you listen to IMO.

Valve amps as Hugo-wilco advises do work well, I imagine a Copland CTA405 or even a Prima Luna could be very nice along with the Leben for Jazz and vocals.

Edited by Ray H

Awesome feedback everyone.  I made an attempt to listen to few that were dangling on my mind and feel at ease now that I did as I was able to cross some of them off my list.

One important thing I realized after reading reviews and listening with my own ears is that sometimes another person's experience is totally different to one's own.  I guess as we mature our ears frequency change as well..haha..

Not good with words but below is what I experienced listening all under one roof.

Summary with key words

Arcam A39 Nice warm sound, airy top end, Bottom ok crossed off

NAD C388  similar to Arcam bottom more controlled crossed off

Peachtree Nova150 surprisingly sounds warm but Rega Elex R was better for the price. crossed off

Rega Elex R, warm sound, spacious and good bottom end.

Rega Elicit R Slightly warm, top end less spacious than Elex R but more clear and has more details, bottom end more controlled. Vocals sounds natural and better. This does not sound lean to me. Demoed with KEF PMC, Elac. Unfortunately cant demo with Harbeths.:unsure:

Next up is Yamaha A-S2100 and Unison Research gear. Have to find nearest dealer with Luxman stuff.

Edited by MusicHaven

Go to Sydney Hi fi and audition a Densen.....perfect combo.

Tried several $4k-plus amps with my Harbeth's including a Densen B-150 - a model I liked for years, but not so much these days. Like Naim, with Densen amps the leading edges of notes appear like lightning. Great for rock and electronica, but any 'unprocessed' or acoustic music sounds unnatural, to my ears. The amp I settled on was also the cheapest - the NAD M3. (I prefer NAD's older class AB designs over the newer models). Replace the M3's stock u-pin with Jena Labs' Superjumper and you''ll never look back. These amps can be picked up for around $2k.

On 05/07/2017 at 7:30 PM, MusicHaven said:

Awesome feedback everyone.  I made an attempt to listen to few that were dangling on my mind and feel at ease now that I did as I was able to cross some of them off my list.

One important thing I realized after reading reviews and listening with my own ears is that sometimes another person's experience is totally different to one's own.  I guess as we mature our ears frequency change as well..haha..

Not good with words but below is what I experienced listening all under one roof.

Summary with key words

Arcam A39 Nice warm sound, airy top end, Bottom ok crossed off

NAD C388  similar to Arcam bottom more controlled crossed off

Peachtree Nova150 surprisingly sounds warm but Rega Elex R was better for the price. crossed off

Rega Elex R, warm sound, spacious and good bottom end.

Rega Elicit R Slightly warm, top end less spacious than Elex R but more clear and has more details, bottom end more controlled. Vocals sounds natural and better. This does not sound lean to me. Demoed with KEF PMC, Elac. Unfortunately cant demo with Harbeths.:unsure:

Next up is Yamaha A-S2100 and Unison Research gear. Have to find nearest dealer with Luxman stuff.

Interested to hear your take on the Yammy and Unison Research.

Have you tried Unico? I haven't but their hybrid and tube amps look very appealing. 

I have heard Harbeths paired with a Luxman 550 AX, very good. 

If I had a pair of Harbeth speakers I would hope the Rega orLeben sounded best, they pair with the speakers in other less obvious ways. 

Without looking at your budget, Accuphase + Harbeth is awesome, I have heard the pairing myself.  However I would say 2nd hand Accuphase is quite rare in Australia unless if you like waiting or buy used from overseas?

Seems like you only left with the two Rega's in your list, so I will provide my 2 cents worth.  I have an Elex-R briefly before I got my Elicit-R. The Elex-R is definitely more an immediate crowd pleaser, very energetic / lively and sounds good especially with dance/pop/rock and do very well with everything else too, in fact I think it is the best buy for the price range.  However the Elicit-R is a bit more refined and controlled, a more matured sound, along with a bit more power (on the specs) and the HT bypass which I want with my AVR.  

Obviously, there are plenty of other choices in the market as many before me have suggested.

Edited by att23
delete extra comment

On 20 July 2017 at 11:27 PM, Frameperfect said:

Interested to hear your take on the Yammy and Unison Research.

Have you tried Unico? I haven't but their hybrid and tube amps look very appealing. 

I have heard Harbeths paired with a Luxman 550 AX, very good. 

If I had a pair of Harbeth speakers I would hope the Rega orLeben sounded best, they pair with the speakers in other less obvious ways. 

Well everyone is different I preferred Naim to Luxman in the same room and setup.  Unico wasn't available but secondo was really good sounding. I think secondo sounded little better than Naim because of hybrid design and hint of tube like character. But again this is my own experience.

On 19 July 2017 at 11:52 PM, maximus said:

Go to Sydney Hi fi and audition a Densen.....perfect combo.

Thanks for the suggestion will demo Densen when I get a chance.

As a Harbeth SHL5 owner for nearly ten years.

1] Tranny amp, but has to be smooth....sorry Tube power usually means low damping factor = Soggy if not flatulent Bass, most from mid bass down sounds slow and bloated.

2] Tube PRE can be OK with Digital source, but can sound overly sweet 'smoochey' like, with LP's .....this is in comparison to what else most other NEW systems are sounding like  [Hard/bright/in your face]

Look for a circa late 90's / early 2000's Mark Levinson Integrated.............have a reputable tech check it out, have Cap's replaced if out of spec.......then enjoy.

I doubt anything new would be any better.

Unison Research Secondo - hands down my recommendation. Worth seeking out are the older Unico and Unico SE models - there  have also been a couple of Unico SE units in the classifieds over the past six months or so which I feel didn't sell. Sellers were seeking about $1,250 to $1,300 from memory - 140 w. Outstanding sound quality produced by these excellent hybrid units. 

Check review of the Unico SE unit at 6moons.com - it was awarded their amplifier of the year in about 2007 .............in 10 years it gives up very little/nothing to it's new comptetion.

Edited by Smp

I’ve got the Peachtree 300 with Harbeth P3ESR 40th Anniversary 

also I’ve got the 30.2 anniversaries coming this week. 

I’d consider changing amplifier to Luxman 509x but that’s $12,000 so way above thread’s budget.

I'll be selling my Roksan Caspian M2 soon. If your after a tube sounding amp which is highly musical i strongly recommend one of the most musically surefooted amps I've ever owned.

All good suggestions but probably worth noting the thread was started about 2 1/2 years ago and the OP hasn't been online since September 2017  :)

30 minutes ago, SMARTPLAY said:

I’ve got the Peachtree 300 with Harbeth P3ESR 40th Anniversary 

also I’ve got the 30.2 anniversaries coming this week. 

I’d consider changing amplifier to Luxman 509x but that’s $12,000 so way above thread’s budget.

2.5 year old thread necro? :oops:

The information is relevant to all, not just OP. Speakers and amps are current models.

maybe they will come back............. one day 🍿

Harbeths and tubes 😀👍

Prima Luna Evolution 100 integrated would sound great with the Harbeths.

(Especially with your music taste).

Yamaha A-S2100 would be high up on the list.  

On 02/07/2017 at 7:17 PM, MusicHaven said:

Hi Folks,

I have finally decided to go with 30.1 however confused with amp matching for these speakers. 

Rega elicit r was on my list but others have suggested that  I can get equally better sound for less. Not sure as I can't try all under the same roof. 

Sudgen A21a

Yamaha A-S1100

Arcam FMJ a39

Primare I32

I believe most like to have that tube like sound quality but have power of a SS amp. I guess at this price point choices maybe limited.

Thanks

Try Lavardin ISx.