Good integrated upto $3.5k for Harbeth 30.1

Hi Folks,

I have finally decided to go with 30.1 however confused with amp matching for these speakers. 

Rega elicit r was on my list but others have suggested that  I can get equally better sound for less. Not sure as I can't try all under the same roof. 

Sudgen A21a

Yamaha A-S1100

Arcam FMJ a39

Primare I32

I believe most like to have that tube like sound quality but have power of a SS amp. I guess at this price point choices maybe limited.

Thanks

Edited by MusicHaven

Definitely not the Primare i32 with Harbeths.

Used Accuphase, Luxman, or one of the more premium Sansui models.

Don't ask Shaw though. He would probably send you to a thrift shop,because he thinks amps don't matter

• Like 1

One brand that keeps coming up as a good match for Harbeths is LFD, although it would be difficult to get a secondhand one in Australia.

Another good brand is Quad, although you are looking for an integrated, not separates.

As it happens, I have an older LFD Zero that I keep as a backup.  It's 55 wpc  and drives my 7ES3s perfectly.  You're welcome to have a lend of it and see whether you like the sound.

... and Alan Shaw has never said that amps don't matter.  What he has said is Harbeths will sound good with any credible amp.

Edited by bronal
  • Like 2

Based upon how very good the Arcam A49 sounds I would urge you to at least audition the A39. Try to get your local dealer to let you borrow one for the weekend. If it's anything like its big brother you won't want to give it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, MusicHaven said:

Mostly Jazz, classical, instrumentals

OK, I've got an April Music Stello AI500 that has a nice musical DAC in it.  It tended towards a touch of dryness in my opinion but I don't think that will be an issue when combined with Harbeths and jazz or classical music.

Fire me off a PM if you are interested.  Asking price is circa $2K.

5 hours ago, Cafad said:

OK, I've got an April Music Stello AI500 that has a nice musical DAC in it.  It tended towards a touch of dryness in my opinion but I don't think that will be an issue when combined with Harbeths and jazz or classical music.

Fire me off a PM if you are interested.  Asking price is circa $2K.

Thanks I will PM if I'm interested looking around and trying to demo the available options at the moment.

My options are quite flexible at the moment.

Was thinking about Cambridge 851N streamer, do you think a separate power amp would be a better choice here if going this route?

Edited by MusicHaven

My previously owned Audia Flight 2 integrated amp is for sale via Gumtree at around $2,500, I believe. RRP on these is nearly $6,500. I have tried this with Harbeth SLH5 and it was very good.

This model (the one I used to own) is in excellent condition and has all the characteristics you require, including HT bypass.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ray H said:

I wouldn't rule out a second hand Luxman either ! Very nice amps and they come up reasonably frequently for sale.

@MusicHaven

I second this. I love my Luxman 507ux. In fact, I bought it off former SNAer Andrew S, who used it to drive his Harbeth 30.1s. He played mostly classical and jazz as well, and it was his favourite combination before he got out of hifi. He had been through a lot of amps and speakers prior to that. Be worth having a look at the 507u currently in the classifieds (I think)

• Like 1

Not sure why nobody has mentioned Naim yet - their amps are known to have good synergy with Harbeth speakers. For $3500 you should be able to land a new XS-2, or a used SuperNait 2 imported from the UK.

The new 150 or 300 would be great i'd imagine.  I haven't matched with Harbeth before, but I loved my Nova 220SE when I had it.  Lots of power, neutral sound, runs cool, DAC built in and good value.