Michell Gyro SE

Guest Eggcup The Daft
20 minutes ago, Rocketfrogs said:

LP12's just aren't as cool as Gyro's.  

That's easy to make up for. Play cool music!

Guest Eggcup The Daft
12 minutes ago, Rocketfrogs said:

Check out an early version of the Gyro in 'A Clockwork Orange'

clockwork.jpg.4948c11251d68d67bd605f0ae3f10f91.jpg

That's the Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference. Not one of my favourites for sound, but does look different.

Michell started out in audio by making parts for that turntable, and built them under license for a few years. Like Linn, Michell started making bits for someone else's turntable and then it turned controversial!

The Gyrodec which followed is a much better application of some of the ideas in the Transcriptors deck, and also provides proper support for the record, which is of course important.

On 09/07/2017 at 11:56 AM, spider™ said:

Well the difference between a 3 and a 6 (and it's got more complicated as they are bewteen generations, so the new Planar 3 is a lor different to a RP3)...is the RP6 has the TT-PSU (power supply, which can be purchased seperately) is single layer glass vs dual in the platter, a 330 arm vs a 303 and the hub is polycarb in the Rp3 and aluminum/poly carb in the RP6....so not a huge amount of difference at present.

@blakey72 Gut feel says a Planar 6 will be released within weeks/months - it will be a major overhaul and the included TT-PSU has also been upgraded (now speed adjustable). If it was me, I'd get that deposit back and wait for the new Planar - if the difference is the same as RP3 vs Planar 3 then it's worth waiting for!!!

@blakey72 sir, being new I try not to give any advice, so many more know so much more than I....but mate.....I smashed this!!!!! :party

Yesterday (one week after I posted that my gut said) Rega released the Planar 6 - new speed adjustable PSU, white belt, aluminium sub-platter, new plinth...the whole kit and kaboodle! worth the wait.

So if your Linn fell through....just wait till August/September

23 hours ago, arthur63 said:

An article about J.A. Michell Engineering.

http://theaudiophileman.com/michell-factory/

Thanks @arthur63 that was a good read....I only knew a little history....C3PO was new as was the fact that no product has been released since John's death. I would have considered a Technodeck instead of the Rega Planar 3....however they cost $1000....then the arm costs $1000....then power supply costs $700....the Ortofon Bronze was $400....and things started to look vastly different!

Having said that, installing a tecno weight onto the Rega definitely got me interested!

The clamp is next (starting small!)

Spider, cost can be a major determining factor when choosing a good turntable but if you can afford a Michell turntable it's well worth it.

I'm really pleased with the performance of my Michell Gyro SE, the only upgrade I am looking at is the PSU.  It's not cheap, around $700 from the UK plus shipping.  Still deciding.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, arthur63 said:

Spider, cost can be a major determining factor when choosing a good turntable but if you can afford a Michell turntable it's well worth it.

I'm really pleased with the performance of my Michell Gyro SE, the only upgrade I am looking at is the PSU.  It's not cheap, around $700 from the UK plus shipping.  Still deciding.

Given that the Linn 'Radikal' motor & controller costs around A$6K ... $700 is cheap as! :D

Andy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arthur63 said:

That's the aspect I like about the Rega....slowly upgrading! it's not very economical - but it spreads the pain over a longer period of time! (kind of like an ex-girlfriend of mine!!!!)

• 2 years later...

Coming in in an old thread but I thought I'd share this #funfact.

I realised one can adjust the RPM speed of a Michell  Gyro by simply opening the power supply and adjusting the voltage screw. Obviously make sure the thing is disconnected from power when you do that.  Mine was running a bit fast (i.e. 33.8 RPM) and now it is steady on 33.3.  It took me almost two full spins of the screw to get to 33.3.

This is not the HR fancy power supply, but the standard one.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician and I have no idea if what I have done is legit. Replicate at your own risk