Michell Gyro SE

Guest Eggcup The Daft
28 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

If I go higher in cart won't the table bottleneck it? I've heard the project arms aren't very good. As for the pre, I'm using the Plinius 9200 pre. What would I have to go to to improve over that?

Probably.

The newer arms are decent but I presume that's a used RPM5.1 you have. The arm with that deck is reasonably OK. I'd say the deck would be a limitation, though it would show off good MMs.

An early, non updated Gyro, properly set up, would be a major upgrade, let alone a new one with the upgrades.  With an adequate arm, a low end MM, still better than your existing deck with a better cartridge. What we learnt in the '80s still holds true.

Setup is important, as said above.

Linn were using a Project arm on their out-of-the-box Sondek, so they can't be that bad really. Manual cueing was difficult with the one I had/have sat in a box.

1 hour ago, muzzagruzz said:

Fair enough. Good timing to start looking for a Gyro and there is now a new distributor. 

New Distributor? Amber Tech has had the brand for a while haven't they, or am I missing some new change?

I'm considering one of these as an upgrade from my LP12, what's everybody's thoughts between the LP12 and this? Cirkus bearing, valhalla and RB300 arm vs stock Gyro?

Damn. My wife won't let me buy the Gyro. She has agreed however to a Rega RP6 limited edition union jack. Should be a step up from the rpm5.1. This comes with an Ortofon black for $2k. Happy with that. What do you think?

18 hours ago, Gremrock said:

New Distributor? Amber Tech has had the brand for a while haven't they, or am I missing some new change?

I'm considering one of these as an upgrade from my LP12, what's everybody's thoughts between the LP12 and this? Cirkus bearing, valhalla and RB300 arm vs stock Gyro?

The Linn would blow the Gyro away. Its more in Orbe Territory. My Linnade (Andyr) says just get a better arm for the Linn.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

The Linn would blow the Gyro away. Its more in Orbe Territory. My Linnade (Andyr) says just get a better arm for the Linn.

But the Gyro looks so cool :P

@blakey72 you can have my Linn with RB300 and Sumiko Cartridge for $2k if you can get it past the finance department.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kelossus said:

Absolute bargain.

True, I'll probably regret it cause I'll struggle to line up a Gyro at the right price now they're changing distributors haha.

I've put nearly $3.5k into it including the cartridge after the upgrades... it never ends 

Did you end up offloading yours yet?

Just now, Gremrock said:

True, I'll probably regret it cause I'll struggle to line up a Gyro at the right price now they're changing distributors haha.

I've put nearly $3.5k into it including the cartridge after the upgrades... it never ends 

Did you end up offloading yours yet?

If you were to advertise at that price it should sell quickly.

Still have mine in the spare room collecting dust. I am thinking of relisting it with a Dynavector 17D3 to hopefully garner more interest.

True, I'm not in a hurry though as its a killer thing. I need to pick the replacement turntable and organise how the hell I'm going to pay the difference. The gyro looks like a good new, easy alternative that should sound nice and looks awesome. The Rega RP10 is the other option I had in mind, but I love the suspended decks.

Obviously postage would be extra but I don't really know where to start packing it properly so I was hoping to line up a local(ish) sale. 

4 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Still have mine in the spare room collecting dust. I am thinking of relisting it with a Dynavector 17D3 to hopefully garner more interest.

Get it done mate. Dollars in the Bank.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gremrock said:

True, I'm not in a hurry though as its a killer thing. I need to pick the replacement turntable and organise how the hell I'm going to pay the difference. The gyro looks like a good new, easy alternative that should sound nice and looks awesome. The Rega RP10 is the other option I had in mind, but I love the suspended decks.

Obviously postage would be extra but I don't really know where to start packing it properly so I was hoping to line up a local(ish) sale. 

Decibel Hifi have original Linn boxes and packaging if you were considering postage.

I fronted the money for my new deck but am obivously wanting to recoup the money at some point. Being in QLD hifi gear tends to take a bit longer to sell.

The RP10's look great, the only reason I stayed away was the tonearm is not adjustment friendly. I bought an fozgometer for azimuth adjustment and it would be money wasted if I bought the RP10.

Best of luck.

On 4 July 2017 at 5:59 PM, kelossus said:

Decibel Hifi have original Linn boxes and packaging if you were considering postage.

I fronted the money for my new deck but am obivously wanting to recoup the money at some point. Being in QLD hifi gear tends to take a bit longer to sell.

The RP10's look great, the only reason I stayed away was the tonearm is not adjustment friendly. I bought an fozgometer for azimuth adjustment and it would be money wasted if I bought the RP10.

Best of luck.

Good to know, I didn't realise you could get them here.

@kelossus, do you know how much the boxes are worth? I can't seem to find them on the Decibel website at all.

You can buy shims to suit an "average" record with your stylus but obviously they suck to fiddle with for 180gm vs old stuff all the time.

But also I'd rather the Gyro I think, but probably with a rega arm which keeps that same issue anyway.

Cheers,

Anyway, Enough thread Hijacking from me!

@blakey72 I'm not a fan of the lower end Rega decks if you can get something like an LP12/Gyro etc used for similar money, but if you can trial an RP6 first and like it, go for gold. They are very well made decks and easy to set up, if not the best sounding option :)

Edited by Gremrock
  • Like 1

On 3/07/2017 at 6:15 PM, blakey72 said:

If I go higher in cart won't the table bottleneck it? I've heard the project arms aren't very good. As for the pre, I'm using the Plinius 9200 pre. What would I have to go to to improve over that?

project arms are generally excellent, good enough for linn , good enough for better cartridges than those normally paired with project turntables.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
4 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Damn. My wife won't let me buy the Gyro. She has agreed however to a Rega RP6 limited edition union jack. Should be a step up from the rpm5.1. This comes with an Ortofon black for $2k. Happy with that. What do you think?

I've not heard an RP6. I prefer suspended decks any day ,though, and the Gyro SE is a good one (how it compares to a Linn is a function of the different upgrades and versions of each, even if a fully upgraded Linn should be better).

So would you be allowed the Gyro if you cleared out some more of the three systems you currently have in your sig?

5 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Should be a good deck with that cart. The Union Jack colour scheme may limit resale value.

I would budget for a Groovetracer sub-platter if I were you.

2 hours ago, Gremrock said:

Good to know, I didn't realise you couldn't get them here.

@kelossus, do you know how much the boxes are worth? I can't seem to find them on the Decibel website at all.

You can buy shims to suit an "average" record with your stylus but obviously they suck to fiddle with for 180gm vs old stuff all the time.

But also I'd rather the Gyro I think, but probably with a rega arm which keeps that same issue anyway.

Cheers,

Anyway, Enough thread Hijacking from me!

@blakey72 I'm not a fan of the lower end Rega decks if you can get something like an LP12/Gyro etc used for similar money, but if you can trial an RP6 first and like it, go for gold. They are very well made decks and easy to set up, if not the best sounding option :)

Is the RP6 a lower end Rega deck. Is it no good compared to my rpm5.1? Damn I've put a deposit down on it now.

32 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

I've not heard an RP6. I prefer suspended decks any day ,though, and the Gyro SE is a good one (how it compares to a Linn is a function of the different upgrades and versions of each, even if a fully upgraded Linn should be better).

So would you be allowed the Gyro if you cleared out some more of the three systems you currently have in your sig?

I'm already selling some of the gear. I don't know if I can part with the Sansui or Ushers. And I wouldn't part with the Plinius/pmc. $2k is the limit. I thought the RP6 was a good deck

It will be well made, and the Rega arms are great. As long as you've heard one and like it you won't go too far wrong, but don't buy blind is my advice. 

Youd be be better off with an lp12 second hand or save up for the gyro though if you ask me.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
20 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Is the RP6 a lower end Rega deck. Is it no good compared to my rpm5.1? Damn I've put a deposit down on it now.

I'm already selling some of the gear. I don't know if I can part with the Sansui or Ushers. And I wouldn't part with the Plinius/pmc. $2k is the limit. I thought the RP6 was a good deck

Your 5.1 is really around the Rega 3 in standard, so I'd expect the RP6 to be an upgrade. I just don't know how much of one, and you'll need proper placing and setup to get the advantage. Do you have a good wall shelf or support for the ProJect already?