Michell Gyro SE

My Gyro SE has a SME IV arm and Ortofon 2M Bronze  cartridge.  The Gyro is connected to ME25 pre / ME550 power amp running Interdyn BT2 speakers.

For me it's the perfect combination, the sound stage is wide and solid. 

I play various genres of music, from pop/rock, jazz and some classical.

The Gyro is able to extract minute details from the grooves whereby songs that I was very familiar with, new detail was revealed that I wasn't really aware of.

Electronic / synthesizer music is a good example where the Gyro is able to render much detail.  It's very difficult to put into words, if you know the Nena song 99 Luft Ballons, there is a synthesizer which comes to the fore in sections of the song and give a nice 'fat' sound.  As an example it happens at 36sec, 41secs, 46secs, 51 secs.

I've not heard the Project RPM 5.1 but you can't go wrong with a Gyro.

Also, older Gyro SEs can be upgraded to the latest version by replacing older components, eg inverted bearing, motor, psu etc.

Mine is 4 years old and I purchased it with the Orbe clamp kit.  Best option out as the clamp screws done onto the platter to flatten out warped records.  Especially beneficial for new pressings where the quality can be hit and miss,

Hi Fanatic, others have said the same thing.  I am using the stock standard power supply.

Are you able to elaborate what the HR power supply has done to the sound quality?

24 minutes ago, arthur63 said:

My Gyro SE has a SME IV arm and Ortofon 2M Bronze  cartridge.  The Gyro is connected to ME25 pre / ME550 power amp running Interdyn BT2 speakers.

For me it's the perfect combination, the sound stage is wide and solid. 

I play various genres of music, from pop/rock, jazz and some classical.

The Gyro is able to extract minute details from the grooves whereby songs that I was very familiar with, new detail was revealed that I wasn't really aware of.

Electronic / synthesizer music is a good example where the Gyro is able to render much detail.  It's very difficult to put into words, if you know the Nena song 99 Luft Ballons, there is a synthesizer which comes to the fore in sections of the song and give a nice 'fat' sound.  As an example it happens at 36sec, 41secs, 46secs, 51 secs.

I've not heard the Project RPM 5.1 but you can't go wrong with a Gyro.

Also, older Gyro SEs can be upgraded to the latest version by replacing older components, eg inverted bearing, motor, psu etc.

Mine is 4 years old and I purchased it with the Orbe clamp kit.  Best option out as the clamp screws done onto the platter to flatten out warped records.  Especially beneficial for new pressings where the quality can be hit and miss,

Aussie Bird did a cover of this on RockWiz last night. Sang it in German too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Planing on upgrading my Project rpm5.1 to one of these. Anyone own one? What arm and cart to use? Any thoughts, opinions?

Blake.

I've heard both but it was too long ago to say anything now. Mind you, from what I remember I couldnt here that much of a difference.

IBetter timing. More detail but the biggest improvement of all was the improved soundstage. You could really pick where the instruments were in the room. It went from a really good $5000 deck to a deck that was not to far off my SME 20/2 with a V. The key with the Gyro is to have the suspension set up by an expert. It needds to bounce up and down with very little if any vertical movement. The less vertical movement the better the image.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rocketfrogs said:

I use a Gyro SE with a Rega RB250 arm and a Denon 301 MK II lomc cartridge intoP1060224.thumb.JPG.0f16c2d513cb2e71db7460588b9d4f3d.JPG a PS Audio GCPH. It's a beautiful thing.  I can sit and watch it spin for hours.

The original work of art.

31 minutes ago, Rocketfrogs said:

I use a Gyro SE with a Rega RB250 arm and a Denon 301 MK II lomc cartridge intoP1060224.thumb.JPG.0f16c2d513cb2e71db7460588b9d4f3d.JPG a PS Audio GCPH. It's a beautiful thing.  I can sit and watch it spin for hours.

Is the 250 good on it in your opinion?

21 minutes ago, Fanatic said:

IBetter timing. More detail but the biggest improvement of all was the improved soundstage. You could really pick where the instruments were in the room. It went from a really good $5000 deck to a deck that was not to far off my SME 20/2 with a V. The key with the Gyro is to have the suspension set up by an expert. It needds to bounce up and down with very little if any vertical movement. The less vertical movement the better the image.

Thanks Fanatic, the SME20/2 is an impressive turntable.  I'd better start saving, the HR power supply isn't cheap.

While we are sharing pics, here's my Gyro. 

At first seeing the brass weights spinning around made me nauseous.  I'm good with it now :)

.IMG_2459.thumb.JPG.4639ef888102f5bac44d1fdc8b3ca2fa.JPG

10 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Is the 250 good on it in your opinion?

Michell make an armboard specifically for the RB250 so there is a definite synergy there.  I moved my arm across from a Rega P2 when I bought the Gyro and it's never missed a beat.  There's also the option to move the motor unit and install a second arm if your that way inclined.595883a17d5f7_gyro22.thumb.jpg.a079af35ec499e412c658bf10eb1ba14.jpg

A friend of mine uses a fully specced and upgraded Gyro and it is hands down, the finest table I've heard. He has done power supply, bearing, platter and suspension upgrades at the very least mind you. He uses a Graham tonearm - uni pivot but unsure of exact model - as well as an old Supex (Jelco) for its removable head shell and ease of set up as he likes to swap carts regularly. All in all, a staggeringly good setup and one I hope to take off his hands one day... ;) Well worth the price of entry IMO...

Edited by Reverend Johnny Heathen

Guest Hensa
18 hours ago, Fanatic said:

It needds to bounce up and down with very little if any vertical movement. The less vertical movement the better the image.

Not sure I follow this... Do you mean it shouldn't have lateral (or side to side) movement rather than "vertical" movement as bouncing "up and down" is surely the same as vertical movement?

Agree with other posters - excellent spinners and deserving of a very good arm and cart.

22 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Not sure I follow this... Do you mean it shouldn't have lateral (or side to side) movement rather than "vertical" movement as bouncing "up and down" is surely the same as vertical movement?

Agree with other posters - excellent spinners and deserving of a very good arm and cart.

I'm sure he means Horizontal movement. You could get this down pat with LP12's but other suspended turntables? Well I think the suspension was designed for isolation only. The LeafSpring Thorens from the late 80's for example.

You can twist the springs by taking the covers off, and because they arent perfectly circle the plyinth moves ever so slightly in a particular direction. If you get this right its a signficant improvement. Really hard to explain, a youtube video needs to be made. 

13 minutes ago, Happy said:

Try upgrading your cart and phono first.

If I go higher in cart won't the table bottleneck it? I've heard the project arms aren't very good. As for the pre, I'm using the Plinius 9200 pre. What would I have to go to to improve over that?

Just now, blakey72 said:

If I go higher in cart won't the table bottleneck it? I've heard the project arms aren't very good. As for the pre, I'm using the Plinius 9200 pre. What would I have to go to to improve over that?

If that 9200 can accommodate MC phono with impedance setting control you probably just need a better cartridge.

Many different views on the importance of a table. But I'd think that ProJect can handle better carts. Say up to a $2-3K cart.