Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
blakey72

Michell Gyro SE

Recommended Posts

Planing on upgrading my Project rpm5.1 to one of these. Anyone own one? What arm and cart to use? Any thoughts, opinions?

 

Blake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interested in this topic, after installing a Techno weight yesterday I tried to educate myself a little further on the brand. Would enjoy hearing people's opinions and history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Gyro SE has a SME IV arm and Ortofon 2M Bronze  cartridge.  The Gyro is connected to ME25 pre / ME550 power amp running Interdyn BT2 speakers.

For me it's the perfect combination, the sound stage is wide and solid. 

I play various genres of music, from pop/rock, jazz and some classical.

The Gyro is able to extract minute details from the grooves whereby songs that I was very familiar with, new detail was revealed that I wasn't really aware of.

Electronic / synthesizer music is a good example where the Gyro is able to render much detail.  It's very difficult to put into words, if you know the Nena song 99 Luft Ballons, there is a synthesizer which comes to the fore in sections of the song and give a nice 'fat' sound.  As an example it happens at 36sec, 41secs, 46secs, 51 secs.

 

I've not heard the Project RPM 5.1 but you can't go wrong with a Gyro.

Also, older Gyro SEs can be upgraded to the latest version by replacing older components, eg inverted bearing, motor, psu etc.

Mine is 4 years old and I purchased it with the Orbe clamp kit.  Best option out as the clamp screws done onto the platter to flatten out warped records.  Especially beneficial for new pressings where the quality can be hit and miss,

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a Gyro in my office with a tecnoarm and a denon 103r. The best thing I ever did was add the external HR power supply. Took it to another level. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hi Fanatic, others have said the same thing.  I am using the stock standard power supply.

Are you able to elaborate what the HR power supply has done to the sound quality?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, arthur63 said:

My Gyro SE has a SME IV arm and Ortofon 2M Bronze  cartridge.  The Gyro is connected to ME25 pre / ME550 power amp running Interdyn BT2 speakers.

For me it's the perfect combination, the sound stage is wide and solid. 

I play various genres of music, from pop/rock, jazz and some classical.

The Gyro is able to extract minute details from the grooves whereby songs that I was very familiar with, new detail was revealed that I wasn't really aware of.

Electronic / synthesizer music is a good example where the Gyro is able to render much detail.  It's very difficult to put into words, if you know the Nena song 99 Luft Ballons, there is a synthesizer which comes to the fore in sections of the song and give a nice 'fat' sound.  As an example it happens at 36sec, 41secs, 46secs, 51 secs.

 

I've not heard the Project RPM 5.1 but you can't go wrong with a Gyro.

Also, older Gyro SEs can be upgraded to the latest version by replacing older components, eg inverted bearing, motor, psu etc.

Mine is 4 years old and I purchased it with the Orbe clamp kit.  Best option out as the clamp screws done onto the platter to flatten out warped records.  Especially beneficial for new pressings where the quality can be hit and miss,

 

 

 

Aussie Bird did a cover of this on RockWiz last night. Sang it in German too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Aussie Bird did a cover of this on RockWiz last night. Sang it in German too.

Cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Planing on upgrading my Project rpm5.1 to one of these. Anyone own one? What arm and cart to use? Any thoughts, opinions?

 

Blake.

I've heard both but it was too long ago to say anything now. Mind you, from what I remember I couldnt here that much of a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I use a Gyro SE with a Rega RB250 arm and a Denon 301 MK II lomc cartridge intoP1060224.thumb.JPG.0f16c2d513cb2e71db7460588b9d4f3d.JPG a PS Audio GCPH. It's a beautiful thing.  I can sit and watch it spin for hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IBetter timing. More detail but the biggest improvement of all was the improved soundstage. You could really pick where the instruments were in the room. It went from a really good $5000 deck to a deck that was not to far off my SME 20/2 with a V. The key with the Gyro is to have the suspension set up by an expert. It needds to bounce up and down with very little if any vertical movement. The less vertical movement the better the image.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rocketfrogs said:

I use a Gyro SE with a Rega RB250 arm and a Denon 301 MK II lomc cartridge intoP1060224.thumb.JPG.0f16c2d513cb2e71db7460588b9d4f3d.JPG a PS Audio GCPH. It's a beautiful thing.  I can sit and watch it spin for hours.

The original work of art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rocketfrogs said:

I use a Gyro SE with a Rega RB250 arm and a Denon 301 MK II lomc cartridge intoP1060224.thumb.JPG.0f16c2d513cb2e71db7460588b9d4f3d.JPG a PS Audio GCPH. It's a beautiful thing.  I can sit and watch it spin for hours.

Is the 250 good on it in your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


21 minutes ago, Fanatic said:

IBetter timing. More detail but the biggest improvement of all was the improved soundstage. You could really pick where the instruments were in the room. It went from a really good $5000 deck to a deck that was not to far off my SME 20/2 with a V. The key with the Gyro is to have the suspension set up by an expert. It needds to bounce up and down with very little if any vertical movement. The less vertical movement the better the image.

 

Thanks Fanatic, the SME20/2 is an impressive turntable.  I'd better start saving, the HR power supply isn't cheap.

While we are sharing pics, here's my Gyro. 

At first seeing the brass weights spinning around made me nauseous.  I'm good with it now :)

 

.IMG_2459.thumb.JPG.4639ef888102f5bac44d1fdc8b3ca2fa.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Is the 250 good on it in your opinion?

Michell make an armboard specifically for the RB250 so there is a definite synergy there.  I moved my arm across from a Rega P2 when I bought the Gyro and it's never missed a beat.  There's also the option to move the motor unit and install a second arm if your that way inclined.595883a17d5f7_gyro22.thumb.jpg.a079af35ec499e412c658bf10eb1ba14.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the power supplies worth? Where do you get them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


A friend of mine uses a fully specced and upgraded Gyro and it is hands down, the finest table I've heard. He has done power supply, bearing, platter and suspension upgrades at the very least mind you. He uses a Graham tonearm - uni pivot but unsure of exact model - as well as an old Supex (Jelco) for its removable head shell and ease of set up as he likes to swap carts regularly. All in all, a staggeringly good setup and one I hope to take off his hands one day... ;) Well worth the price of entry IMO...

Edited by Reverend Johnny Heathen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Hensa
18 hours ago, Fanatic said:

It needds to bounce up and down with very little if any vertical movement. The less vertical movement the better the image.

 

Not sure I follow this... Do you mean it shouldn't have lateral (or side to side) movement rather than "vertical" movement as bouncing "up and down" is surely the same as vertical movement?

 

Agree with other posters - excellent spinners and deserving of a very good arm and cart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hensa said:

 

Not sure I follow this... Do you mean it shouldn't have lateral (or side to side) movement rather than "vertical" movement as bouncing "up and down" is surely the same as vertical movement?

 

Agree with other posters - excellent spinners and deserving of a very good arm and cart.

I'm sure he means Horizontal movement. You could get this down pat with LP12's but other suspended turntables? Well I think the suspension was designed for isolation only. The LeafSpring Thorens from the late 80's for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly, the less lateral movement the better, same as Linn LP12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can twist the springs by taking the covers off, and because they arent perfectly circle the plyinth moves ever so slightly in a particular direction. If you get this right its a signficant improvement. Really hard to explain, a youtube video needs to be made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any tables just as good for the same price or lower?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Are there any tables just as good for the same price or lower?

 

Try upgrading your cart and phono first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Happy said:

 

Try upgrading your cart and phono first.

If I go higher in cart won't the table bottleneck it? I've heard the project arms aren't very good. As for the pre, I'm using the Plinius 9200 pre. What would I have to go to to improve over that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blakey72 said:

If I go higher in cart won't the table bottleneck it? I've heard the project arms aren't very good. As for the pre, I'm using the Plinius 9200 pre. What would I have to go to to improve over that?

 

If that 9200 can accommodate MC phono with impedance setting control you probably just need a better cartridge.

 

Many different views on the importance of a table. But I'd think that ProJect can handle better carts. Say up to a $2-3K cart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...