Jim Holtz Statement Speaker Build

Having built a set of Paul Carmody Sunflowers for a friend recently, I also built a set for myself. Figuring that building two sets would only take incrementally longer than one pair, the build dragged on due mainly to getting a suitable crossover layout working. After all that clutzing around they turned out to be rather underwhelming in performance so I decided to put another set of drivers I had ordered some years ago into enclosures. There was quite a lot of positive forum comment by builders on the Statements, they had great listener response at various speaker build demos, and the designers Jim Holtz and Curt Campbell were generous with answers on the htguide  blog. Now this wont be a build as such because they are already built and playing, but I will share a few images of the build as it progressed in case anybody is interested in pursuing this route. They are a bass reflex design, bottom ported ( as per Lynn Olsens Ariels). Symmetrical Bass, Mid, Treble layout, unusual tunnel dipole treatment of the mid drivers and a ribbon tweeter between them. These were the original Mk I utilizing Tang Band WA-1337SA mids, Dayton RS225S-8 woofers and a Fountek Neo Cd3.0  tweeter. Cabinet construction was what I had lying around at the time which was a laminated sheet of 12 & 16mm MDF giving me circa 28mm thickness. The base being built up to a thickness of 75mm to accommodate the port recess.

Statements 004.jpg

Statements 003.jpg

Statements 002.jpg

Statements 001.jpg

Edited by PicoWattson
  • Like 2

Crossovers were next. I like to separate the tweeter, mid and woofer circuit for ease of modifications or upgrades down the track.

They neatly sit on top of the mid tunnel, held down with a couple of wing nuts and removable through the top woofer opening. Easy 

to remove the whole thing for amendments.

Statements 008.jpg

Statements 009.jpg

Statements 010.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DEANO23 said:

So you put in with wave formation using staples and or glue

No, the underlay is shaped like that - but I assume the OP stapled it to the walls.  If it were me, I would also put some contact adhesive between underlay and wall.

Andy

• Like 1

It is indeed rubber carpet underlay. It has a herringbone ribbed profile and is glued to the enclosure walls using adhesive of your choice. I use plasterboard/stud adhesive which is an inexpensive acrylic based adhesive. I acquire it gratis from the skip outside my neighbourhood carpet supplier.

Edited by PicoWattson
  • Like 3

Crossovers fitted. Enclosures lined and stuffed. Tried Sheeps wool but wasn't satisfied with the consistent density so reverted to teased out polyester insulation.

Front panels veneered with mahogany, routed, and rear of openings bevelled.

Statements 014.jpg

Statements 012.jpg

Statements 013.jpg

• Like 4

It is indeed rubber carpet underlay. It has a herringbone ribbed profile and is glued to the enclosure walls using adhesive of your choice. I use plasterboard/stud adhesive which is an inexpensive acrylic based adhesive. I acquire it gratis from the skip outside my neighbourhood carpet supplier.

Brilliant, stops it going into Landfill too.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

Testing the crossovers before fixing front panels. Right hand panel not yet oiled and waxed due to some veneer tearout repairs to be undertaken.

Must remember to use some waxed paper over the top next time as the adhesive has a tendency to soak through splits and cracks.

Statements 015.jpg

Statements 017.jpg

• Like 2

Wow. Lots of work gone into these... nearly as much work as the post itself! Thanks for this. Inspiring stuff. Pity you were disappointed with the result. Any improvements you would consider if doing it again?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

@mjbmatt Not disappointed with the result at all. In fact I haven't yet opined on the result. You may have misread my initial thread that I built these in response to being disappointed with the previous build just to set the record back on tack.

• 1 year later...

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking build mate, attention to detail makes these look amazing. 

What particularly did you find underwhelming about the sunflowers? I have been considering building them for a while but never end up pulling the trigger on the build 

The Sunflowers were just not really able to fill the large room with enough slam, although the second set I built for a friend replaced his NS1000s and performed better in a smaller space.

Don't let my opinion on the Sunnies dissuade you from the build as they do represent great value. (maybe less now with the low exchange rate)

Hahaha very true the exchange rate is a bit of a killer, thanks for the response. I'll keep procrastinating on the build, for now my current build is doing a great job but I'm dying for a little bit more low end 

Thanks

I have been following, this post!!

1. My Max to place these speaker, from the rear wall is 3 feet, as I live in a unit??

2. Do they come with feet, as I have slate floors??, I think I have seen these, on your web site??, any photos??

3. My amps, are "Audio Labs" mono blocks, rated 150 per mono block, is it to much power??

4. I love "bass", my speakers, are " Zu Audio Souls", I just want a bit more bass and slam, without harshness that is present on some recordings, I really don't want to add sub, as I'm not confidence, if this is the answer??

What's your thoughts??

Many Thanks

David

I'm sort of confused??, are they still for sale??, there have been a few different replies on steronet, I'm not sure what are yours??, can you answer the bellow:

1. Is the speaker, you are selling is the Jim Holtz's statement??, is it  RS 225-8, or RS 180-8??, I'm after the speaker, that has the 4 feet, at the bottom, on some photos??

2. My Max room to place speakers, against the back wall is approx 3 feet, as I live in a unit??

3. My amps are "audio lab" mono blocks, rated as 140 wpc each mono block??, they are smooth!!, solid state!!

4. A message, from you has just come though, I lost this email, to answer, your post, but have found, my questions!!

5. What are the sunflowers??

6. I live down here on the far south coast, I can't pick up, are you in VIC??, I can arrange or you to send to me??

7. I have a pair of " ZU Soul speakers", which are nice, but bass does not go low enough for me, I'm not a fan of adding a sub, How would your speakers, go with out a sub??, a lot of my recordings, don;t really need a sub, but some recordings, would like a "OOPH" in the bass!

I need your thoughts

Many Thanks

David Spry

• 3 months later...