FS: A Rare PAIR of SGR Mono-block power amplifier

Item: A Rare PAIR of SGR Mono-block power amplifiers
Price: $1250
Item Condition: Used, small chips from the paint which can be seen in the pics. The rest of the amp is in pretty good condition, it does need a good polish and touch up.
Reason for selling: Not using.
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Direct Deposit, COD Only
Extra Info:

These mono block power amplifiers were bought from a closing down studio/R&D company. They have quite an easy life as they were only used as spare. They are rated conservatively at around 200 watts/Class AB. Tested them with quite a few speakers with DAC as pre and they sounded really controlled and clean.

Suits anyone who wants to try out mono-block power amplifiers, those who needs/love more power or even for home theater driving the front main speakers. Due to their design, WAF is very high and they can easily go behind the speakers as well! It can also be used to drive passive sub with external crossover but it will be a waste. It takes both balance and unbalance connection.

Extra Info:

Size: 26W X 30H X 20D  (cm)

Weight: 8.1kg each

Pictures:

IMG_8499.JPG

IMG_8498.JPG

IMG_8497.JPG

IMG_8500.JPG

IMG_8501.JPG

Edited by beetle-audio
  • Like 2

Why are your timpanies 2 ohm? I was under the impression that aside from having relatively poor efficiency they were a pretty benign, resistive 4 ohm load? You shouldn't need an esoteric amp to drive them.. just a run of the mill hefty one. 8)

Edited by treuben

Not too many things are spec'd to run 2 ohm.. generally because then their 8-ohm efficiency will look *&(*^@#'d. Class D and the tricky switching rails according to load impedance amps are exceptions to the rules governing good old fashioned class AB amps of course.  

21 minutes ago, treuben said:

Why are your tympanies 2 ohm? I was under the impression that aside from having relatively poor efficiency they were a pretty benign, resistive 4 ohm load? You shouldn't need an esoteric amp to drive them.. just a run of the mill hefty one. 8)

As you can see from @djb's signature block - he has Tymp 1Ds.  These are 2-way ... 2x 10ohm bass panels in parallel plus 2x 8ohm tweeter panels in parallel.  So, yes ... a fairly benign load.

David is currently actively bi-amping his T-1Ds and wishes to add ribbons - to turn them into (active) 3-ways.  To do this, a 3rd stereo amp is required - which can drive 2ohm ribbons.

David - you do have another way of adding ribbons ... this is to use a passive mid LP / ribbon HP XO ... so you remain with your 2x stereo Amber amps.

Andy

• Like 1

19 hours ago, treuben said:

So, is this related to any of their in-house designs or were they branded plate amps to use in active speakers? Does anyone have any images of naked ones? 

Not re-branded plate amps, I designed and built them from scratch to run our active speakers. The original design was a 3 channel plate-amp with integrated active crossovers, I adapted a few at the time to single channel and made them into monoblock pairs. 

• Like 1

Not re-branded plate amps, I designed and built them from scratch to run our active speakers. The original design was a 3 channel plate-amp with integrated active crossovers, I adapted a few at the time to single channel and made them into monoblock pairs. 

Can they drive down to 2 ohmns?

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

On 6/28/2017 at 11:06 AM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

A pair of mono-blocs

The pedant in me disagrees:

Mono-block = 1 amp

Mono-blocks = 2 amps (minimum)

A pair of mono-block amps = 2 amps

A pair of mono-blocks = 4 amps (minimum)

• Like 3

• Volunteer
36 minutes ago, gz76 said:

The pedant in me disagrees:

Mono-block = 1 amp

Mono-blocks = 2 amps (minimum)

A pair of mono-block amps = 2 amps

A pair of mono-blocks = 4 amps (minimum)

Only if you think that it's correct to say:

a mono-blocks

also, mono-block = mono-block amp

and mono-blocks = mono-block amps 

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore