gat474

FS: ME240 Hi Cap option very good condition

Item: ME240 Hi Cap option
Price: $900
Item Condition:Very good 
Reason for selling: Fund raising
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Okay, this is the item I thought I'd never sell.   I've had quite a bit of ME gear of the years including a couple of pre amps, a 550, 550 mk2, 750, 555 and an 850 and to be honest none has really done it for me.   That was until I bought this little ME240 high cap (no remote control though).   I bought this to run a little pair of Usher S520's which are known to like some grunt behind them.  I found that they were a match made in heaven.   Just for a laugh I thought I'd try the little 240 on my ATC SCM40 Mk2 passives.   The ATC's are recommended to have between 100 and 300 wrms and not very efficient.   Now, I used to run the ATC's off a 250 wpc 40 kg Primare A32 monster, the ATC's ate up all that power and could take more.   They love power and they matched well with the big Swede.   I have to say, the little Aussie battler, the ME240 was not disgraced at all, in fact, I would go as far as saying that I much preferred the 240 to the A32, it was equally as dynamic, had a much nicer midrange and was a nicer listen overall.   This was both with the 240 operating by itself, then with a Doge 8 as a pre and lastly with an ME24 pre.   The 240 can be used as a power amp, just turn the volume right up and select an input.  Apparently it's designed that way and is something to do with the passive pre in the 240.

My 240 has the original packaging, owner's manual, letter to the purchaser and some other original ME paperwork.  It's in very good condition with no obvious marks or scratches.  There is the odd very minor scuff on the top plate but they are really hard to see unless the light is at the right angle.   There is the slightest rubbing on the 'v' of volume on the front panel but those who know ME gear will know that this is standard.   Otherwise the front panel is mint.   The rear panel is mint apart from a small scratch above one of the speaker inputs.  The sides are unblemished.   I don't have any service records so don't know if any work has been done.   As with all ME gear servicing and parts are available in most Aust capital cities.   I can't think of a need to get this one checked out, I wasn't going to but the option is always there for owners.

There is the slightest of hum from the transformer when you put your ear close to the casing.   Can't be heard from the listening position and certainly not with music going.   Those that know ME will know that a little transformer hum is not unusual.   I have run the ME reasonably hard into the ATC's and not noticed any fan noise at all.   The fan works but I haven't heard it, I only know that it works because I could feel air coming from the heatsinks at the back.   This was only after some louder than normal listening, this is how I came to realise that it's more than comparable to the 250 wpc Swede!!

I'm only selling as I have to fund raise to pay for a pair of new speakers.   I had every intention of using the ME to power my rear HT speakers as I've now gone to active fronts.   Unfortunately the sums aren't adding up and I need the funds from the ME just to top up the kitty.   It's such as nice amp, one that just does things right.   

I've found some specs which I have pasted below.  I suspect that the outputs are pretty conservative.   As an indication I have had both an 850 and a 1500 here in the last few weeks.  The bigger brothers had more power behind them, a little more dynamic but not overly so.   It was a massive case of diminishing returns here, the little 240 is that good.  Note: mine has the high cap option which gives it 102,000uF or capacitance.

I have the packaging but it's pretty flimsy.  I would not post in this packaging and would much prefer local pick up.  Interstaters are welcome to put in their interest but please note local buyers will get preference.   

I wasn't entirely sure what to price it at.  A google search shows a bit of a range.   I've taken into account the condition, the high cap option and packaing/ original documents and mostly the way it performs.   

Demo's are welcome.

ME 240 Integrated Amplifier

Output: 2 x 90 watts RMS at 8 Ohms (DC – 20 kHz), 2 x 110 watts RMS at 4 Ohms (DC – 20 kHz), 1 x 220 watts RMS at 8 Ohms  (DC – 20 kHz)

MFR: DC – 100 kHz ± 1dB

Voltage Gain: 36 dB

Max output Voltage: 45 Volts

Max output Current: 40 Amps (peak)

Input Impedance: 50 kOhms

Phase: Non-inverting, Zero Degrees Shift

THD: Less than 0.1%

Hum and Noise: 96 dB below rated output

Energy Storage in Power Supply: 44,000µF (Standard) 102,000µF (High Capacitance Option)

Weight: 11 Kilos (24 Pounds)

MRRP: $1895AUS (+$308 for High Capacitance Option and+ $181 for Remote Control option)

Total price as tested $2,384 AUS (About $1,400 US)

Pictures:

DSC_7219.JPG

DSC_7218.JPG

DSC_7220.JPG

DSC_7221.JPG

1 hour ago, gat474 said:

The 240 can be used as a power amp, just turn the volume right up and select an input.  Apparently it's designed that way and is something to do with the passive pre in the 240.

That's because it is basically a poweramp (same topology pedigree as all ME's) with a passive volume control in the front, that also has input switching. Very nice little amp that punches well above it's weight, and will put many $2k amps to shame.

GLWTS

Cheers George 

I concur with what has been written above re the 240. It's an astonishing little amp and I prefer it to my 8k Luxman.  Yep, it's that good. 

I had my high cap 240 running the current hungry Legend Kantu 8i's and it performed really well. 

Currently, it's running as a power amp with a 25 pre driving Legend Kurre's and it's brilliant. 

An an absolute bargain at the asking price. 

GLWTS

I have a ME240 hicap myself, great little amp.

GLWTS  Cheers.

I've had lots of inquiries about the ME240.  Please note that the amp DOES NOT come with the remote control option, it would be a tad more expensive if it had.  I am looking at selling this amp to the first person who can come to my door with the money.   I would really prefer not to post as although I can eventually package it up more than safely I don't trust couriers etc.   Lastly, I can't offer this out  for a lend before you buy or money back if it doesn't system match.

The amp is as good as I indicate in my thread.  Do your research, you'll see lots of positive comments about the ME240.  Our own CAFAD is the resident integrated amp reviewer, if there's an integrated he hasn't tried it's probably because it's not worth knowing about.  CAFAD really rated the ME240.

Muzzagruzz has posted that he likes his 240 better than his shiny new Luxman, even that is shouting something pretty serious.

1 hour ago, gat474 said:

The amp is as good as I indicate in my thread.  Do your research, you'll see lots of positive comments about the ME240.  Our own CAFAD is the resident integrated amp reviewer, if there's an integrated he hasn't tried it's probably because it's not worth knowing about.  CAFAD really rated the ME240.

I did indeed, and still do.  The ME240 was one of those amps that was so good I decided to keep it, even had it upgraded to a hicap model by Peter Stein himself.  An excellent amp, one of my all time favourites.

This one is in better external nick than mine, mine needs a respray on that top panel.

Edited by Cafad

6 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I did indeed, and still do.  The ME240 was one of those amps that was so good I decided to keep it, even had it upgraded to a hicap model by Peter Stein himself.  An excellent amp, one of my all time favourites.

I so bad want to keep this amp but the sums I just did still come out in red ink!

18 minutes ago, gat474 said:

I so bad want to keep this amp but the sums I just did still come out in red ink!

Can't you save a little longer for what you need and keep this amp. Wouldn't want you to have sellers remorse as that's what I experienced last year. 

Just now, bvuka2013 said:

Is this amp still for sale?

Yes, I think so. I sent a PM but I am short of funds (still gathering funds to purchase) and it is not fair to hold it if there is another person can purchase right now. :unsure:

55 minutes ago, bvuka2013 said:

Is this amp still for sale?

Yes but there is a guy planning to drop over tonight to check it out.  Will update the thread if it gets sold.

2 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Yes, I think so. I sent a PM but I am short of funds (still gathering funds to purchase) and it is not fair to hold it if there is another person can purchase right now. :unsure:

I know how you feel...