unclemack

Speaker wire as fm antenna?

I've connected my Pioneer tuner using some standard speaker wire as an antenna. Only getting half strength signal so not ideal. This may be due to my location but I would have thought the abc would be pretty good everywhere. So I thought maybe the speaker wire might be a factor. Any suggestions? Also, I've connected it like this. This also may be wrong. Any advice would be welcome. Cheers. M4317ffda4aace158cafc252a6b1bee76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Try a coat hanger, and you may get the full strength.....:P
Edited by Addicted to music

If you have a TV antenna installed and you  do not have reception problems , then I would suggest that a splitter box that has an FM co-ax outlet be fitted and  that you use a 75 ohm cable  to the Pioneer tuner. Otherwise you may have to have a rooftop antenna  setup if you happen to be in a weak reception area. What I have missed in your photo ,is that the figure 8 cable (speaker wire) has one end going to ground. It should be to the 300 Ohm terminal ,next to  .'BAL'.

Edited by VanArn

If you just want to get ABC FM with speaker wire you need to adjust the length to be (I think) quarter wavelength of the frequency in question. Try a longer wire, and if no good, then try a shorter wire.

The sticker indicates that you got it right. 

With that type of antenna/feeder you should be using the two 300(ohm symbol)BAL thumbscrew terminals. My understanding is that the GND terminal is for the AM section. So move the left wire along one terminal.

The correct way to use the speaker wire, is to connect between the 300 Ohm balanced connections. NOT one 300 Ohm point and earth. Treat the cable like a 'T'. Keep the wire joined for (say) 1 Metre, then spread it out, horizontally, about 600mm on each arm of the T. It's not critical.  

Speaker cable is not really 300 Ohm characteristic impedance, but it will do in a pinch.

This is probably a little better:

FWUQQC0GXZXTOTD.LARGE.jpg

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

@Zaphod Beeblebrox Is correct. I have used speaker wire in the past configured like that and it worked pretty good. Did no necessarily have the width dimension as wide but it worked.

And as said in a prior post do not used GND, both wires go on the 300 ohm terminals for FM antenna.

I use a 75-ohm antenna wire from my tuner to a splitter plugged into my TV antenna.