Sign in to follow this  
cafe67

Kia Stinger

Be interesting to see how they go with interest in large sedans in the wane , maybe they should have made a ute version or a 2 door sports coupe. 

But like a 2litre mustang, I'd want the full monty v6tt . 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/559261/2018-kia-stinger-review/

http://www.motoring.com.au/kia-stinger-gt-2017-review-107637/

Edited by cafe67

1 minute ago, cafe67 said:

Be interesting to see how they go with interest in large sedans in the wane , maybe they should have made a ute version or a 2 door sports coupe. 

But like a 2litre mustang, I'd want the full month v6tt . 

My understanding is that this will be a lift back in the same style as the Skoda Octavia and Superb. Best of both worlds. Quick and practical

Guest Sime

Already planning on getting one, at some point. 

Nice looking car, good performance specs.

So, will the world go back to large sedans? Will Australia? Or has their time gone.

And...can it be converted to hybrid or EV?

Greg

A tad heavier than I'd want but it certainly looks good. In the end, whether a car like this really can really excite me would depend on how all of the subtle details of all of the vehicle elements come together. Everything from turn-in response,  through ergonomics, and even how the seat adjuster sounds (for example)  come together as an ownership experience rather than specs on paper. 10 years ago, Hyundai / Kia spent years trying to get a power steering pump as quiet as a Japanese KYB but couldn't do it. I dare say things have changed since and I can't wait to drive a Stinger. If I hear a noisy fuel pump, or a thrummy torque converter lockup however, I'm outa there! 

No AWD for AUS is a big mistake...in my opinion...

The top AUS model lists at $59k...

Exactly the same price as a new (next month) BMW M140i...

Or a Golf R...

Know which I would rather have...especially for resale...

3 hours ago, Sime said:

Really.  That much.  Same price as a Tesla Model 3 rear wheel drive sedan provided you are prepared to drive yourself.  Stinger wouldn't have a snowballs chance of ending up in my garage against that competition. 

Happy to live with the 0 .6 second longer to 100 as it's naff all difference and the electric would be more lively off the mark ( if that is important to you). Throw in never having to buy petrol or oil again, powering up from the roof, future self driving upgrade should I get sick of the highway shuffle ( at a price mind you).  

The poor Kia is a dinosaur before it even leaves the autoCAD. It would have a transmission tunnel for a start......and a complex transmission. Then there is all those parts.  An EV has about 6,000, a petrol car has about 30,000.   It's resale would also be as depressing as my Peugeot.  People think Kia and they think affordable.

i am sure it would be a decent for an ICE and it has its market, but it would feel like driving the past.  I would want something more for that premium.  To be fair, almost everything else at that price has a similar problem.  only thing I am wary of is the Tesla's standard rear window.....but if it works in the heat it would be awesome.

IMG_0002.JPG

Edited by Briz Vegas

The only thing i don't like about EV is the time it takes to charge. If im on a roadtrip from Adelaide to Melbourne, sure I can stop at the supercharger in Keith, but that still takes 75 minutes to get back to full charge.

The technology still isn't there yet for our big empty country

3 hours ago, Rob181 said:

Or a Golf R...

Umm.... The M140i for fun and the R for resale. :P

22 hours ago, RockandorRoll said:

The only thing i don't like about EV is the time it takes to charge. If im on a roadtrip from Adelaide to Melbourne, sure I can stop at the supercharger in Keith, but that still takes 75 minutes to get back to full charge.

The technology still isn't there yet for our big empty country

For some, yes, you are absolutely correct.  

For most a decent stop after 350 km is a life saver and would be a perfect multi purpose vehicle for a one car household.  An hour for lunch as a minimum.  If you are a rep or whatever then it might be different but that has to be a tiny minority in 2017. 

23 hours ago, Rob181 said:

Or a Golf R...

agree there, will likely have a few buying the kia instead of a mustang. but 55k seems a bit of a reach id suggest. am not sure a 

interior looks like a clumsy rip off of merc interiors,

auto-show-photos.asp?imageId=266208&gall

2015_mercedes-benz_c-class_fint_ft_81914

anyways regardless i have no doubt be an interesting car, the koreans and going up market and hoping to pull off, wish them luck....

It looked interesting but at around the same price as a Commodore Redline its not a show stopper. It will be interesting to see how it sells given the demise of large RWD sedans in sales. Its almost as though its popularity, in anticipation of release, is fueled by the fact it is replacing two cars that were axed because fewer and fewer people were buying them.

What it does demonstrate is what great value the Commodore and Falcon were given they were bespoke models designed, built and almost exclusively sold in a market of 20 something million people. The Kia is a car built in a country with far better labor rates for sale around the world .

the commodore were very good cars for money... though ballooning out a tad. cant say same for the ford where development on it dropped years ago

no question will fill a gap here. though standard of living in south korea is actually pretty high and its not cost of labour thats consequence its supply chain and parts sourcing along with political decisions that has dropped holden making cars here. 

10 minutes ago, :) al said:

the commodore were very good cars for money... though ballooning out a tad. cant say same for the ford where development on it dropped years ago

Ford did seem to drop the ball lately. Perhaps they saw the writing on the wall sooner. The price of the basic Commodore really hasn't risen dramatically for many years especially if you take into account the continuous upgrades in features.

10 minutes ago, :) al said:

no question will fill a gap here. though standard of living in south korea is actually pretty high and its not cost of labour thats consequence its supply chain and parts sourcing along with political decisions that has dropped holden making cars here. 

Nevertheless they work longer hours and get paid less. However that aside it was inevitable for GM to cease production of a car that was unique to a market of just over 20 million people. It would be like Chev in the US designing and building a car for sale in California only. Eventually someone over there was going to ask why were they still doing it. We were very lucky to have had them for as long as we did.