Yamaha NS-1000 Monitors Owners & Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2018 at 2:31 AM, twaino said:

I've had a pair of NS1000's for about 6 months. Used Vincent Audio pre and power amps, Parasound Halo pre and power amps, Yamaha as2100 integrated, good cables etc. All in all, an okay sound with perhaps the Vincent being the best match. Last week I took possession of a Prima Luna Prologue Premium, a 35watt hardwired all tube/valve integrated amp. Boy what a difference, round and punchy, smooth silky top end. revealing every nuance in the music. HI FI is a bit like Scientology, one keeps spending to acquire greater knowledge, but never really attaining anything.Unless it's 'cos I'm new to valves, have I been missing out on something ?

I've been messing around with stereo for 40 years, even owning a small but nice  backyard recording studio. Nothing I've ever owned sounded this good. Tried Leak, Luxman, Cambridge Audio, Sansui, Tandberg, Linn, and loads more amps, but nothing  else has

delivered such sonic beauty.

My next question is, would this perform even better with a pair of Tannoy 3148 monitor golds in a medium size  cabinet? Any  ideas?

IMG_1598.JPG

Hey @twaino I've read your post a while ago and it kept going round and round my head and I kept coming back to refer to it.

I feel that the way in which you described what you have experienced using valve/tube amplification compared to other gear you had in the past helped me finally decide to try and look for a tube amp alternative for my setup. It was something I had been rather reluctant before, I guess for fear of having reliability issues with tube setup as opposed SS. 

Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope to soon join the club of valve/tube owners with NS-1000 speakers ?

• Like 1

I had the same experience. with the 1000s i felt the solid state was exact and detailed. But it's not as rich and silky as valves. With the 690 they seem well matched the SS as they are little smoother themselves.

Order a weston and hurry up and wait...they task a while.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

Order a weston and hurry up and wait...they task a while.

Yes I know, they are bloody nice amps to look at that's for sure and very highly regarded to boot. 

• 5 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yamaha_man

I had them in a room with a pair of Wilson Sasha’s. Long story short, I had a gtg and someone with a golden ear came over and remarked how good the Wilson’s were sounding. It was the NS-1000’s playing at the time.

When set up properly nothing can touch them in their price range or even at triple the price.  

41E27A32-23A2-462D-A3A8-F3BC2F6728BB.jpeg

Edited by yamaha_man

23 minutes ago, yamaha_man said:

I had them in a room with a pair of Wilson Sasha’s. Long story short, I had a gtg and someone with a golden ear came over and remarked how good the Wilson’s were sounding. It was the NS-1000’s playing at the time.

When set up properly nothing can touch them in their price range or even at triple the price.  

41E27A32-23A2-462D-A3A8-F3BC2F6728BB.jpeg

Amen! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All 
I am Shahrin from KL,Malaysia.
Love the NS1000. Picked up my second pair today - delighted with them.
I found this thread. MarkM you have a lovely system.
I am struck by the subwoofers which i understand are the 15 Dipoles by Acoustic elegance.
Currently my Ns1000 s are driven by an AU111.
How does one integrate the subs and their amplification into the system?
Design of the H enclosures for the Dipoles would really  be appreciated.
Great thread and great forum .  
Thanks
Shahrin

• 1 month later...

I just rolled mine into this tiny little room,(because no one will buy them!)7F65F308-4506-4C19-A7A0-04EDE675BA7E.thumb.jpeg.d4e7844a4f1422667c4655f5c6cc1581.jpegA06CB758-25AB-4F41-ADCE-A9A7E15DF3A2.thumb.jpeg.9b9ac2ad4244253c13410fc182eeec94.jpeg (2.5 X 3.2) and BAM, killer music. Had them sounding great in everything up to 5 x 9.  All with 18 Watts... Might try this bad boy next.

• Like 2

Hello Shahrin/Kien and others, yes I’m still around and lost track of this thread somewhat.

I am still listening to the d’appolito midrange NS1000 with 15” OB bass, now with Raven R-2 ribbon tweeter added. This may look like a disparate collection of drivers, but like the well regarded Dahlquist DQ10 loudspeaker (it’s weird, but sounds wonderful, Google it) it works well and covers any perceived deficiencies in a standard NS1000, namely, more sweetness/musicality and better imaging, top and bottom end). The Raven tweeter is rolled in with a 1uF tinfoil capacitor and a separate 50w amplifier with volume control.

Shahrin, my H-frame is made from 350mm wide x 16mm thick mdf black shelving boards bought from the local Home Depot/Bunnings hardware store, centre baffle is a 500x500mm piece, it all cost about $60 for two h-frames. The Acoustic Elegance Dipole 15” drivers are driven with a 150w plate amp dialled in at about 60Hz (the natural crossover point where the NS1000 starts to drop off). This h-frame woofer plays strongly to about 30Hz so supplements the 1000’s bass nicely. It is very punchy and has nice texture, though doesn’t quite rumble down very low like my Eton 11-581 drivers in an 80L BR box.

Kien, I have tried the Eminence Alpha 15A drivers in this h-frame, it works really well. The bass signature is strong and impactful, while it does not quite reach as low as the AE bass drivers. One person who heard both the AE and Eminence drivers, said he preferred the Eminence, saying it sounded a bit quicker to his ears.

Cheers,

Steve.

542B5194-3292-4CAE-9075-CA90D615AF0B.jpeg

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve 
Good to know u are well!
Are u using the standard NS1000 crossover  with the different midrange and ribbon tweeters?
I been on a bit of a roller coaster since i posted.
I got in touch with AE abt the dipole subs and was going to get a minidsp and follow your steps.
I was advised that the way the mini dsp has to go A to D  and then D to A again might not b great with analogue sources.
and that dipole subs with open baffles would be ideal in largish rooms. 
What i am building now are larger cabs that will house the Yamaha tweeter and midrange and  woofer from scanspeak that outperforms the venerable Yamaha woofer in every way - and this will be driven semi actively.   Also constructing a 2 way analogue electronic X over will power 2 stereo power amps.
Woofers are driven 'direct' while i will build simple passive 2 way X over using premium parts to handle the Yamaha tweeter and mid.
All in the works at the moment...

Ooogh, very cosy in there . 18 watts of valve power is all u need .
My old sansui AU70 can make nice music with  the NS1000
Cheers
S

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if someone who owns Yamaha NS1000 or 1000M or could measure distances between front cover plug holes centre to centre in both directions please.

I am trying to see if the front covers from any other 1000 variants will fit NS1000X

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Ando

• 8 months later...

Hi Steve,

I live in Perth and am interested in purchasing a pair of NS1000M's from someone in Melbourne. They're a mahogony pair (matched) so not sure if they're original as my pair I had in South Africa were black. They seem to be in excellent condition but since I can't listen to them any other questions I should ask? The price seems reasonable. 

Regards,

David

• 5 months later...

I don't own a pair of these speakers, but shouldn't the stands be of an appropriate height to ensure the correct listening access?

If you are really short or tall, and/or sit low or high, this might be a factor in determining the height of the stands.   You don't want the listening access to be three feet from the floor if your ears are, say, four and a half feet from the floor.

Don't forget to show the stands in the appropriate forum.

I'll shut up now.

16 minutes ago, Antipodean Brad said:

I don't own a pair of these speakers, but shouldn't the stands be of an appropriate height to ensure the correct listening access?

If you are really short or tall, and/or sit low or high, this might be a factor in determining the height of the stands.   You don't want the listening access to be three feet from the floor if your ears are, say, four and a half feet from the floor.

Don't forget to show the stands in the appropriate forum.

I'll shut up now.

yeah not a bad idea measuring listening position looks like 30 cm is just about right

Depends on your seated position height and preference of sound but I find the tweeters at ear height or between the midrange and tweeter is a sweet spot and in my room is about 30-35cm height stand.

The lower 20cm stand gives more bass but less detail and imaging. 

Perhaps start out at 35-40cm and lower it as you go before locking it in to suit.

If you can, use REW with calibrated mike to measure bass response & room nodes to get height & spacing from walls right. In my 3.6x4.2x3.0 room 400mm stands work well, ~50cm in from sides, ~85cm from wall bihind. Mids at ear height. Ns1000Ms tri-amped through an Analog Precision Pre-1 8-channel DAC. With separate amp/driver, plenty of tight bass, sound stage, detail. Have owned these speakers from new, love them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, solar-g said:

Ns1000Ms tri-amped

are you bypassing the crossover? i'm in a 4*4.5 roam and best bass placement is around 1.7m in front of back wall and 75cm from sides. using Rew this is the position with less weird reflection