Yamaha NS-1000 Monitors Owners & Discussion Thread

Bought a pair around 1980, and kept them around 10/11 years. I think I paid something like $1700? Agree they have some strengths, but also some weaknesses. From memory they lacked a bit of "soul" and a were a little bright. Of course my ancillory equipment etc. has improved dramatically since then, so would be interesting to revisit. I replaced them at the time with an upgraded pair of Richter Secret Weapons (long gone), which were a bit of a step up in sound quality.

9 hours ago, Steve M said:

Yes, a sad indictment on the recording industry that they cheapened things up and moved towards the horrible little $599 Yamaha NS10, cheap Behringers and KRK Rocket spkrs etc. Who cares about recording quality when the end game is appeasing the masses with their iPods, computer speakers and Beats headphones ...sigh. :(

Went to an auction last Thursday of old sound studio equipment and the prices paid were crazy money and the NS-10's were ratty at best and 2 idiots bid them to $812.50. There should be a tv show called vintage pickers, highlighting the need for knobs and recaps.

Edited by guru

9 hours ago, Steve M said:

Yes, a sad indictment on the recording industry that they cheapened things up and moved towards the horrible little $599 Yamaha NS10, cheap Behringers and KRK Rocket spkrs etc. Who cares about recording quality when the end game is appeasing the masses with their iPods, computer speakers and Beats headphones ...sigh. :(

Pretty sure that is not the point that was being made.  The NS1000M is just not a serious studio monitor; period.  The use of NS10Ms is driven by two things; they provide a 'consistent', if middling, benchmark and they allow engineers to hear the mix on something approaching the crap standards most end-users will 'enjoy'.

I know a number of folk who love their NS1000s; and good luck to them, I can see the appeal.  But the, "It's what they use in the big studios", thing is BS and refuses to die.  You'll find acres of JBLs and Tannoys as far-field monitors in high-end studios but never a NS1000.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, guru said:

Went to an auction last Thursday of old sound studio equipment and the prices paid were crazy money and the NS-10's were ratty at best and 2 idiots bid them to $812.50. There should be a tv show called vintage pickers, highlighting the need for knobs and recaps.

Why were you there? 

You didnt think you were we're going to bid and pick up some nice old AN pieces were you?  :P

I really don't understand why everyone think that Behringers and KRK are shcitt...

My son has a pair of Behringers 3031A that he bought for $530.  For that value that includes active to drivers and amps to 200W class A\B has me dumb founded on value.  I could easily live with these for the rest of my life.  They support XLR, the SQ is an absolute bargain for what you get.  However not so in today's exchange rate when they are around $1100 

17 minutes ago, Gruffnutz said:

The use of NS10Ms is driven by two things; they provide a 'consistent', if middling, benchmark and they allow engineers to hear the mix on something approaching the crap standards most end-users will 'enjoy'.

My understanding is that NS10's were only used for their bass pitch.

I remember back in the 80's that a major reviewer for the British HIFI press used NS1000's in his reference system mated with Audio Research SP8 and  D70.

Apparently it sounded very good.

Most of the studio monitors used in the 1970s were pretty horrible.The JBL 4311s were commonly used and they sound really nasty.The NS1000s would have been a big improvement on them.Many studios used Auratones which used a 4. 5 inch full range driver in a tiny box.

Edited by THOMO

Most of the studio monitors used in the 1970s were pretty horrible.The JBL 4311s were commonly used and they sound really nasty.The NS1000s would have been a big improvement on them.Many studios used Auritones which used a  5 inch full range driver in a tiny box.

Hey Auratones we're better than I had expected them to be on a desktop system

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

Yes they sounded pretty decent really.A friend had a pair in his Landrover.

I see you can buy new ones but the drivers look a bit different.

58 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Why were you there? 

You didnt think you were we're going to bid and pick up some nice old AN pieces were you?  :P

No AN pieces, they had baz luhmann's cd collection that he was disposing of, probably 2000 in total and I wanted to see if there was anything worthwhile. Went for 500. Probably was worth $150, shite taste in music which is strange considering his movies have reasonable soundtracks.

17 minutes ago, Happy said:

The auratones at the same auction went for $160 and Jbl 4410's went for $400.

No AN pieces, they had baz luhmann's cd collection that he was disposing of, probably 2000 in total and I wanted to see if there was anything worthwhile. Went for 500. Probably was worth $150, shite taste in music which is strange considering his movies have reasonable soundtracks.

I shuddered at his particular choice for a certain version of a Mozart symphony though (probably the 25th). Could easily have been Andre Rieu after a night of drinking Viennese wine.

5 minutes ago, Happy said:

Sounds about the same with ebay then!

Add 25% buyers premium on top of that and that's the price paid.

25 minutes ago, frednork said:

A good review of why people use ns-10's here http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story

Have owned and used a couple of pairs of ns-10's at various times for music recording purposes. I found they highlighted problems in a mix. Not something for recreational listening though.

And that's the very reason for the NS10

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

My understanding is that NS10's were only used for their bass pitch...

The arguments in that S.O.S. article about 'time domain accuracy' are largely crap; though written by the designer of one of my favourite NFM's, the AE-1.  Nor do I find NS-10s particularly 'revealing'.  They, like Auratones, are good for ensuring a 'full-range' mix does not produce problems, and is broadly intelligible, on poor to average equipment.  That's all.  

My real issue with them is that it is quite easy to tell when NS-10s have been used as the only monitor for a particular recording.  The recording will probably be crap.

Anyway; back to NS1000s...   :thumb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THOMO said:

Most of the studio monitors used in the 1970s were pretty horrible.The JBL 4311s were commonly used and they sound really nasty.The NS1000s would have been a big improvement on them.Many studios used Auratones which used a 4. 5 inch full range driver in a tiny box.

Still a lot of the 70's recordings are just as good as modern recordings. Hotel California and all the early Asylum records were mixed on the 4311's. I would say the bulk of recordings from the US in the 60s/70s/80s had Altecs/JBLs/Urei in the chain somewhere. Engineers develop an ear for the speaker and can mix accordingly.

Just because the NS1000 are certainly a better speaker than the 4311 might not mean the mix would have been better. The NS1000's were probably too expensive to and certainly not as durable as any of the JBL monitors.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Gruffnutz said:

My real issue with them is that it is quite easy to tell when NS-10s have been used as the only monitor for a particular recording.  The recording will probably be crap.

Ha ha, I have made the same comment in the past. Since running Duntechs these recordings actually sound quite good, but still not as good many others.

19 hours ago, MusicOne said:

Don't much like the look of them, but then the last time I contributed to a thread on Yamaha speakers, I managed to get suspended for a time. So upon reflection, I think I'll pass.

haha

i quite like the classic 70s look.

not  a big fan of the sound.

19 hours ago, Happy said:

What's 500m like compared to 1000m? Once had a pair and they featured the same Be tweeters?

I had the 500, very ordinary sound compared to the 1000 and they don't use the same series Be tweeter as the 1000 and used paper midrange dome instead as well.

Also, everyone who has had experience of the 1000s if you are thinking comparing listening experiences as apples vs apples well it definitely isn't so for a great number of reasons like better sounding old 1000 models vs newer versions, equipment, room and listener differences etc. Do however, do pay attention to the large undeniable bulk of positive international reviews vs less positive, which is the world wide conclusion despite individual accounts here and there to the latter. History is on the side of the NS1000.

And do have a listen to the new NS5000 much better than the already fantastic 1000. Search forum for that post.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I really don't understand why everyone think that Behringers and KRK are shcitt...

My son has a pair of Behringers 3031A that he bought for $530.  For that value that includes active to drivers and amps to 200W class A\B has me dumb founded on value.  I could easily live with these for the rest of my life.  They support XLR, the SQ is an absolute bargain for what you get.  However not so in today's exchange rate when they are around $1100 

I had some used Behringer 3031A for $300 and they not that good, very flat sound, treble very ordinary, not much bass. The Yamaha HS5 active monitor is a lot better, great voice and imaging, nice punch and tweeter though a little cheap sounding was detailed and entertaining enough.

17 minutes ago, Al.M said:

I had the 500, very ordinary sound compared to the 1000 and they don't use the same series Be tweeter as the 1000 and used paper midrange dome instead as well.

Also, everyone who has had experience of the 1000s if you are thinking comparing listening experiences as apples vs apples well it definitely isn't so for a great number of reasons like better sounding old 1000 models vs newer versions, equipment, room and listener differences etc. Do however, do pay attention to the large undeniable bulk of positive international reviews vs less positive, which is the world wide conclusion despite individual accounts here and there to the latter.

And do have a listen to the new NS5000 much better than the already fantastic 1000. Search forum for that post.

Interesting comment regarding the older ones vs newer.

I have had a few pairs and the last ones I owned had serial numbers well under 20 000. I thought that pair were much better than I remembered.

The new NS5000's are grossly over priced. Why anyone would pay 20k for a speaker that has electrolytics in the crossover is beyond me.