Roon Rock

Guest scumbag

Guest scumbag

Android tablets a re comparatively cheap compared to their Apple brethren. A samsung 10" tablet can be had for a reasonable sum and a 2nd hand one for a fraction of that. Just sayin'.

Guest scumbag
Just now, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I'm not sure what that means?

I've not heard that and I'd be pretty shocked if that was the case. IFAIK any use of Roon is either as a demo or paid regardless of usage.

Well the salesman owns a Devialet personally and told me he has not paid for his Roon subsciption. Devialet turns up as an output device of the compter rather than using an end point.

I've paid for my subscription this year regardless, so can't prove the suggestion

Guest scumbag
2 minutes ago, blybo said:

Well the salesman owns a Devialet personally and told me he has not paid for his Roon subsciption. Devialet turns up as an output device of the compter rather than using an end point.

I've paid for my subscription this year regardless, so can't prove the suggestion

Someone paid for it perhaps, just not him! ;)

Just now, scumbag said:

A samsung 10" tablet can be had for a reasonable sum and a 2nd hand one for a fraction of that. Just sayin'.

Yes I am aware, we have 4 samsung tablets floating around here but the point is I don't want to use a tablet for that, at the moment I turn on sound system, TV and complete music library is there on the screen, this is want i wanted from Roon without windows interference.

This is where I got the idea that Roon would be an OS 1hour 10 mins into this video, Steve says it will be an operating System. They obviously changed their minds.

• Volunteer
5 minutes ago, powerav said:

Yes I am aware, we have 4 samsung tablets floating around here but the point is I don't want to use a tablet for that, at the moment I turn on sound system, TV and complete music library is there on the screen, this is want i wanted from Roon without windows interference.

This is where I got the idea that Roon would be an OS 1hour 10 mins into this video, Steve says it will be an operating System. They obviously changed their minds.

They didn't change their minds

on this site they say

"Roon OS is a custom Linux based operating system, tailored for running Roon Server and providing a best-in-class, appliance-type user experience to host the Roon Core."

2 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

They didn't change their minds

I think they did, I was very actively watching and participating on the Roon community when this was coming out, it was months and months behind schedule and all the talk was based around an O.S. until they changed it to ROCK and they deleted the old threads and started are new one.

• Volunteer
14 minutes ago, powerav said:

I think they did, I was very actively watching and participating on the Roon community when this was coming out, it was months and months behind schedule and all the talk was based around an O.S. until they changed it to ROCK and they deleted the old threads and started are new one.

I'm sure you are right, but it's a bit confusing because their knowledge base article (which I linked) clearly still calls it an OS 

26 minutes ago, powerav said:

There you go, hard to believe these creatures.

I spent 3 hours with him. This guy is not a box mover, it was CAV, one of our sponsors.

29 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Someone paid for it perhaps, just not him! ;)

No, that is not how it was put to me. He said as long as you are not using an end point you don't need to subscribe, I already have a subscription (and $130-ish annually is not a deal breaker) so it was not put to me as a product feature, was just said in passing as an interesting thing that many people did not know about... myself included.

17 minutes ago, powerav said:

I believe they changed the name because there was confusion because they called it OS, and Chinese whispers on the forums probably introduced features which were never planned. Hey, I've just opened up a can of worms with the no subscription thing, these things can grow legs whether they are fact or not. I cannot confirm what I was told, but I believe the salesman wholeheartedly, he was very honest in his appraisal of other devices I wanted to look at as well.

Edited by blybo

It's a massive can of worms, I would say a can of electric eels. If this is a fact then I will be doing it but even if you just sign up for your 14 day trial you need to put in your credit card info and money automatically comes out after the 14 days, it doesn't know if you are using a sound card or not. Maybe Devliate is something like the Elac streamer where Roon is built in and is not quite the full version.

Edited by powerav

Guest scumbag
2 minutes ago, blybo said:

I spent 3 hours with him. This guy is not a box mover, it was CAV, one of our sponsors.

No, that is not how it was put to me. He said as long as you are not using an end point you don't need to subscribe, I already have a subscription (and $130-ish annually is not a deal breaker) so it was not put to me as a product feature, was just said in passing as an interesting thing that many people did not know about... myself included.

I believe they changed the name because there was confusion because they called it OS, and Chinese whispers on the forums probably introduced features which were never planned. Hey, I've just opened up a can of worms with the no subscription thing, these things can grow legs whether they are fact or not. I cannot confirm what I was told, but I believe the salesman wholeheartedly, he was very honest in his appraisal of other devices I wanted to look at as well.

Roon will not function without a trial though (or a membership) and of course the trail is time limited. If I can't run Roon (say that when you've had a few drinks) then how do I run it for free?

I just installed Roon for the first time on my work laptop and this is was I got.

2017-06-23_1445.thumb.png.245bcbbaf87a2759029366da3597a4e3.png

Guest scumbag

I work as a techie in a company where I have to deal with a lot of sale people. I can tell you from experience that the best sales people can sometimes inadvertently tell the biggest whoppers. They aren't trying to be deceptive, they really do believe what they say. 

Guest scumbag

OK. So I got my NUC this afternoon. I wasn't expecting it until Monday.

So installing the SSD and the RAM took about 2 minutes.

Updated the BIOS - about 5 mins.

Installed Roon Rock - about 15 mins.

Installed FFMEG - 5 mins.

Logged into my new installation of Roon on my laptop and set up my library location and the Direct Stream Junior as the "zone" to output to.

All up maybe 30 mins max' to get the whole thing going.

I can control it from my laptop or my Andriod phone. The DSJ volume control responds to Roon.

Sounds freakin awesome. 

Now all I have to do is run the DAC in over the weekend to get it up to the magical 100 hour mark. And then get some nice XLR cables. I'm like a pig in sh*t ATM.

So would this work as work around. I install ROCk on intel nuc and and put in my IT rack and connect to my network switch. Then buy a cheap android box and connect to my AVR and install android Roon Remote on this so I can control and see on my TV screen?

Guest scumbag
Just now, powerav said:

So would this work as work around. I install ROCk on intel nuc and and put in my IT rack and connect to my network switch. Then buy a cheap android box and connect to my AVR and install android Roon Remote on this so I can control and see on my TV screen?

Sounds like a plan!

8 hours ago, blybo said:

I was also told yesterday Roon is free if you are using the soundcard of the host computer to output sound and not actually "streaming". I'm demo'ing a Devialet for my 2ch system and it's AIR system is seen as a soundcard/output device. Perhaps you could do this too if outputting from your computer to a usb DAC.

That's no different from using Roon on a server. You still have to pay a licence fee somewhere. You are being misled I feel.

6 minutes ago, a.dent said:

That's no different from using Roon on a server. You still have to pay a licence fee somewhere. You are being misled I feel.

What the, mislead by a salesman, well I never.:D it's pretty bad if he is telling people this that are buying a Devialet from him.

7 minutes ago, powerav said:

Are you planning to connect the NUC straight to the USB DAC? Or are you wanting to use the cheap Android box as an end point. As far as I am aware the idea of ROCK on a NUC is to stream to an end point not connect directly to the DAC. Also I don't think you can use an Android device as an end point. And further to that connecting the NUC straight to the DAC will compromise sound quality because the USB output will be noisy and jittery.