Roon Rock

Guest scumbag

Guest scumbag

I'm about to embark of creating a Roon Rock device. As per the Roon spec's it will be running the Roon Rock OS sitting on a NUC Gen7 I5 with 8gb of RAM. And a 128Gb SSD. 

I'll report on my trials and findings if anyone is interested. It will be streaming via ethernet to my new PS Audio Direct Stream Junior. 

Has anyone got any experience with the Roon Rock OS? Has anyone used Roon with a DSJ?

Mark

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

I don't have experience though it is something I would like to do too. This is a good walk through guide if you haven't seen it already.
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/the-definitive-guide-to-roon-optimized-core-kit-rock-r652/

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

Beauty. I'll be starting this project next week all being well.

I've been thinking about this since ROCK was released. I'm using my Mac Mini as Roon core ATM but would like a dedicated machine for Roon..

Hey Mark, where did you get your hardware from? I notice the prices vary a lot!

23 minutes ago, powerav said:

Got me inspired now to turn this freebie i3 nuc into a roon rock machine, will see how it goes.

ahhh, ripped off. This is not what I was hoping for, I was expecting the interface on my screen, you still have to use a tablet or another computer to control. ridiculous!! 

Guest scumbag

Dan,

You can log into the Roon Rock remotely once it is up and running. You can also attach a monitor and keyboard to directly input into the Roon Rock device too if you wish.

Guest scumbag
35 minutes ago, a.dent said:

I've been thinking about this since ROCK was released. I'm using my Mac Mini as Roon core ATM but would like a dedicated machine for Roon..

Hey Mark, where did you get your hardware from? I notice the prices vary a lot!

Umart is the cheapest around Brisbane plus their warranty is great i.e. if you have an issue they actually replace or refund you without any arguments or questions!

Edited by scumbag

19 minutes ago, scumbag said:

You can log into the Roon Rock remotely once it is up and running.

Yes I have done this but not want I want, this the reason I sold the Aries Mini, I want to control and see on TV screen not on tiny phone or tablet.

20 minutes ago, scumbag said:

You can also attach a monitor and keyboard to directly input into the Roon Rock device too if you wish.

Yes this is want I want but no interface or graphics come up just a dos text saying go to http://192.168.1.... for web interface. Did install the right one.

14 minutes ago, powerav said:

Yes I have done this but not want I want, this the reason I sold the Aries Mini, I want to control and see on TV screen not on tiny phone or tablet.

Yes this is want I want but no interface or graphics come up just a dos text saying go to http://192.168.1.... for web interface. Did install the right one.

ROCK is just a server. It doesn't do anything else. You can put it anywhere on the network and forget about it.

Don't you already have a Windows PC/Kodi hooked up to the TV?

Just install Roon Client on your PC that is hooked up to the TV and you can use that for control and album art etc.

1 hour ago, SteveC said:

Don't you already have a Windows PC/Kodi hooked up to the TV?

Just install Roon Client on your PC that is hooked up to the TV and you can use that for control and album art etc.

Yes and no. I have Libreelec Kodi, I hate windows and do not want to use windows in this way. I had Roon on a separate windows PC hdmi going to projector and USB to DAC it was perfect....except for the windows part.

This is how Steve Silberman from AudioQuest prefers Roon, on a big screen and just control with mouse. This is want I envisaged ROCk to be, like an openelec or libreelec system.

Edited by powerav

Guest scumbag
14 minutes ago, powerav said:

Yes and no. I have Libreelec Kodi, I hate windows and do not want to use windows in this way. I had Roon on a separate windows PC hdmi going to projector and USB to DAC it was perfect....except for the windows part.

This is how Steve Silberman from AudioQuest prefers Roon, on a big screen and just control with mouse. This is want I envisaged ROCk to be, like an openelec or libreelec system.

So just to clarify, when you go to a web browser on a PC and log in to the IP address, what are you presented with?

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, powerav said:

Just this, hopeless.

roon.JPG

That's not that dissimilar to the V5 of Lightening DS though. You have a web based interface to control the hardware settings and all control of the playing is via a mobile device. I guess it's a question of expectations i.e. does the documentation for Roon ROck suggest that you will get anything other than a headless OS? On a more positive note, perhaps Libralec will allow you to control Roon via your TV - https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-bridge-for-arm-a-beginner-s-guide-to-raspberry-pi-and-cubox-i/10138

• Volunteer
10 minutes ago, scumbag said:

I guess it's a question of expectations i.e. does the documentation for Roon ROck suggest that you will get anything other than a headless OS?

the documentation is is pretty clear on what Rock is and isn't .

this

So here's the question: Is Roon Optimized Core Kit a good fit for me?

If you're looking for a small and simple way in which to light up Roon on your network and either don't want/need or are willing to give up configuration flexibility then this is a good (potentially great) option.

If you do want / need flexibility in terms of hardware, other software running on the box, operating system configuration, or simply having shell access then you will be far better served by installing the OS of your choice on the hardware of your choice (it just won't be Roon OS 

and more info here

46 minutes ago, powerav said:

modded Mac mini???

It just delivered so much promise when it was being developed and this was the original intention to have a "ROON Operating System" like libreelec but then I think it became all too hard for them as it took ages to get released and then changed name to ROCK to reflect this. It was great reading all the artist and album info on the big screen.

26 minutes ago, scumbag said:

That's not that dissimilar to the V5 of Lightening DS though.

Yes correct and the reason why I sold it, these more boutique audio companies really do struggle on the software side of things.

14 minutes ago, blybo said:

modded Mac mini???

No it's ok, It's not worth spending that much money on something that really isn't that much better than Kodi, just has better meta data and info, Kodi still organises library better.

Guest scumbag

I can't see where Roon gave people the impression Roon OS / ROck was going to be full fat interface. I can find early references to Roon OS from the COO of the company and he is none too clear about what to expect from it i.e. a tiny, optimised linux box that is a dedicate Roon Server.

In part "ROCK is for the user who either has little (or no) computer knowledge or doesn't want the headache of managing another computer, but does want a stable and reliable Roon installation. In order to satisfy that requirement that customer must be willing to sacrifice some flexibility."

It was in the OS part, operating system, that is what openelec and libreelec are but yes as soon as they changed it to ROCK I lost interest in it, just a shame that they have a great GUI but have to put on your glasses on to see it on a phone or tablet. Oh well who wants a Nuc :)

3 minutes ago, powerav said:

It was in the OS part, operating system, that is what openelec and libreelec are but yes as soon as they changed it to ROCK I lost interest in it, just a shame that they have a great GUI but have to put on your glasses on to see it on a phone or tablet. Oh well who wants a Nuc :)

12.9" iPad pro... I use my 9.7 iPad pro and surf the forums whilst using Roon thats on my wifes iMac in the study. You could mirror a tablet to the TV screen if you just want to look at something while music is playing.

7 minutes ago, blybo said:

12.9" iPad pro... I use my 9.7 iPad pro

No all good, not preapared to pay $700 odd bucks on Roon and then what a $1000 on an ipad that will only be used as a remote. Not a high flying CEO or something here just a 

5 minutes ago, powerav said:

No all good, not preapared to pay $700 odd bucks on Roon and then what a $1000 on an ipad that will only be used as a remote. Not a high flying CEO or something here just a 

I pay $130 or something for my yearly Roon subsciption. I was also told yesterday Roon is free if you are using the soundcard of the host computer to output sound and not actually "streaming". I'm demo'ing a Devialet for my 2ch system and it's AIR system is seen as a soundcard/output device. Perhaps you could do this too if outputting from your computer to a usb DAC.

Tablet are capable of a lot more than being $$$ remotes. I use mine much more in business than I do my laptop.

Edited by blybo