Dacmagic 2 Modding anyone with experience?

Hi all , Ive got this Cambridge Audio Dacmagic2 that's been sitting here for a while .

Bought it to use as a modding project but it has just sat here since.

So does anyone have any experience or suggestions about what to do or what can be done ?

also what would any likely mods bring ?

Mod or sell?

9 minutes ago, unclekanus said:

Hi Joz,

Just had a look on the Vasiltech site to see what chip they use in your dac but couldn't see a Dac 1. Is it a DacMagic 1 perhaps? 

Cheers

Chris

Dunno what your talkin about its a Dacmagic2:sorry:

Image result for cambridge audio dacmagic 2

I should really check what I have:wacko:

3 minutes ago, krebetman said:

Feeling lucky, punk Joz?

https://lickham.co.uk/pdfs/dacmagic.pdf

Ta some good reading there, not sure whether I could take on the mods?

I wonder approx how much the bits would come too?

Well I suppose the worst thing that could happen would be a bin worth of scrap!

Looks like a good project to me. You could always start out by swapping out the opamps which is easy to do assuming they are in sockets and not directly soldered in. I have a few old Burson discretes that you could have a play with if you like. Based on previous experience you should get a good improvement in sound quality with the Bursons.

Edited by unclekanus

8 minutes ago, unclekanus said:

Looks like a good project to me. You could always start out by swapping out the opamps which is easy to do assuming they are in sockets and not directly soldered in. I have a few old Burson discreets that you could have a play with if you like. Based on previous experience you should get a good improvement in sound quality with the Bursons.

May have to take you up on it, soonish!

I  must mention I have never done this stuff before:unsure:

I wouldn't bother with it, you might end up paying more in parts for very little compared to what you could get instead these days, those os-con and elnas caps aren't cheap even today, this mod has been good improvement back in the days where TDA1305 has been standard and not many other options available. If I'm you I would either sell it as is or rip off the board and replace it with something better, there's still lots of options if you are looking for NOS type sound such as TDA1387, AD1862, PCM1702 etc as ready made kits...

just to add comment from John Westlake

Yes, the TDA1305 was designed as a budget DAC, its not great TBH....

I never liked the sound, I originally designed the Cambridge Audio units for a different DAC but then discovered a design issue with the silicon so we had to change the DAC vendor at the last moment - the TDA1305 was the only other budget DAC available at the time.

That said the CA offered really great performance / value for money so I can still sleep well at night....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, joz said:

Hi all , Ive got this Cambridge Audio Dacmagic2 that's been sitting here for a while .

Bought it to use as a modding project but it has just sat here since.

So does anyone have any experience or suggestions about what to do or what can be done ?

also what would any likely mods bring ?

Mod or sell?

Download the service manual from here and post up the section from the d/a converter to the rca outputs (the analog stage)

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/37510/cambridge audio_DacMagic 2.html

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

Don't worry did it for you, change the dual AD712 for a 2 x OPA627 on a dual Brown Dog adaptor board, do not get the 2 x OPA627 from ebay as they are all fakes, get them from RS Components or Element 14.

Cheers George  

previewpic.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey what is with R27 & R30?

Looks also like the trying to load down the impedance the dac sees, to 20kohm, as they go to ground also via another 10kohm

Could try to lifting (disconnect) one side of of R27 and R30 and see how it sounds. If indeed it ruins the cross talk it can artificially give better centre image, but ruin the image width, ie outside the speakers

I did this on a dac once to improve old recordings, just on the output with a 1kohm resistor (switchable in or out) from left to right and it made the old ping pong recorded cd's like Beatles, sound more like vinyl, with a fuller more defined central image, as vinyl has at best 30db channel separation.

Cheers George  

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

Hi George - sounds like a good plan. It would definately be interesting to see how the image is effected after lifting those two resistors. 

OK Joz better get your soldering iron warmed up & remove the two original output ic's. Maybe fit sockets in their place so you can easily try a few different types there. I'm with a George tho on the OPA627 - excellent choice.

This thing is about twenty years old now so maybe time to replace all the electrolytic caps in the PSU & around the op amps too.

Panasonic FM or FC types are pretty good &  reasonabley priced. Buy all the parts from RS or Element14 & then you know they will be genuine. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 8:30 PM, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi George - sounds like a good plan. It would definately be interesting to see how the image is effected after lifting those two resistors. 

OK Joz better get your soldering iron warmed up & remove the two original output ic's. Maybe fit sockets in their place so you can easily try a few different types there. I'm with a George tho on the OPA627 - excellent choice.

This thing is about twenty years old now so maybe time to replace all the electrolytic caps in the PSU & around the op amps too.

Panasonic FM or FC types are pretty good &  reasonabley priced. Buy all the parts from RS or Element14 & then you know they will be genuine. 

Thanks Clay, I almost wonder whether I should just grab one of yours. But....

@unclekanus I may just take you up on lending a hand with having a play with this thing, but I'm gonna be tied up until mid /end July.

• 2 years later...
On 23/06/2017 at 6:09 AM, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey what is with R27 & R30? Looks like they are trying to increase channel cross talk or maybe playing around with the imaging.

These things are designed by engineers, not audiophiles, and no engineer would ever want to increase channel cross-talk. Or play with imaging for that matter.

I think this might be done to feed out of phase signal to the negative input of an op-amp to reduce/cancel distortion.

Anything present on one and not on the other will be cancelled and not present on the output. Commonly done.

BTW. I am fixing one of these and need input section diagram. Anyone has it by any chance?

cheers

Roman

Guest Muon N'

Seeing as these are V-out DAC chips why not just do away with the op amps completely and take the signal from v-outs through some quality caps to RCA sockets.

Edit: or use line transformer instead of caps, just need an appropriate resistor load on the primarys and a r/c filter on the secondary.

Edited by Muon N'

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

Seeing as these are V-out DAC chips why not just do away with the op amps completely and take the signal from v-outs through some quality caps to RCA sockets.

I am not an engineer so I cannot answer with any authority but reducing the noise/distortion would be one reason.

I would get rid of RCA sockets and use XLRs as most DAC chips for a long time now are balanced and bastardising them with single ended output is just a travesty.

Guest Muon N'

So you don't know and are assuming why it can't be done with success.

I would suggest that op amps are cheaper than quality line transformers or high quality capacitors, is the main reason.

Look up voltage out DAC's using line transformers, the same can be done using capacitors in place of transformers.

I along with a huge amount of other guys did line transformer output replacing conventional op amp output stages, there is a big thread on diya using a cheap kit based on the CS4397, the thread is dominated by us all using audio line transformers. I ended up using cinemagCMOQ-2H transformers in my kit.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/137976-experience-diy-dac.html

Same can be done successfully with AKM v-out dac chips.

So, just maybe the same can be done with this v-out dac chip.

16 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

So you don't know and are assuming why it can't be done with success.

Depends on what you mean by success.

What is a success to you or some DIYers is not really an achievement for an engineer.

Engineer knows what can or cannot be done and why.

I am merely a technician and I know my limitations.

One thing I can tell you is that in my book line transformers are silly thing to do on an output. The only reason one would ever do them is for impedance matching and should be avoided whenever possible. Capacitor out of DAC might work for you and for your system but not in a commercially sold equipment. An item you buy in the shop should work with any system it is connected to.

The mere fact that some guy has modified some item by fitting Delund capacitors and it sounds good to him, does not mean anything.

If the product is so good, he should make 500 of them and see if anyone will buy them.

Then it is a success.

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, rockeater said:

Depends on what you mean by success.

What is a success to you or some DIYers is not really an achievement for an engineer.

Engineer knows what can or cannot be done and why.

I am merely a technician and I know my limitations.

One thing I can tell you is that in my book line transformers are silly thing to do on an output. The only reason one would ever do them is for impedance matching and should be avoided whenever possible. Capacitor out of DAC might work for you and for your system but not in a commercially sold equipment. An item you buy in the shop should work with any system it is connected to.

The mere fact that some guy has modified some item by fitting Delund capacitors and it sounds good to him, does not mean anything.

If the product is so good, he should make 500 of them and see if anyone will buy them.

Then it is a success.

So you agree that it is a decision based on cost and profit, at it's basic fundamentals....mass marketability.

Edit: at this point I need to point out that AMR (Thorsten Loesch, designer)use transformers in the output stage of their DAC, and Gieseler  Audio (Our own talented Clay Gieseler, designer) Uses transformers in his very good and very affordable DAC's.

Maybe that book of yours needs revision.

Edited by Muon N'

2 hours ago, Muon N' said:

So you agree that it is a decision based on cost and profit, at it's basic fundamentals....mass marketability.

Yes and No.

Marketability yes but meaning that an item must work in any system with any input or output impedance.

Transformers, being devices that transfer electrical energy by means of induction in secondary circuit have tons of disadvantages, with very little to show on advantage side.

In audio, they are mainly used as matching impedance of tubes to speakers, (because tubes are not really suitable for audio, even though a lot of companies use them for marketing reasons mainly) and for some other minor duties (Toslink, fake balanced circuits etc).

2 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Edit: at this point I need to point out that AMR (Thorsten Loesch, designer)use transformers in the output stage of their DAC, and Gieseler  Audio (Our own talented Clay Gieseler, designer) Uses transformers in his very good and very affordable DAC's.

The fact that some competent people are doing something does not make it right or good.

C.E.C. makes belt driven transports which is a an idea as silly as it gets and some people even buy them and swear by them.

But it is still silly and substandard with all the disadvantages of it and nothing to show for it but high price and reduced usability.

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'

It appears you see things that are not there, so I'll have to remain in a state of disagreement on this.

Edit: just to add a couple more!

PSAudio use output transformers in their top of the line Direct Directsteam $9k DAC, and Linn also use them in their $37K Klimax DSM streamer.

Edited by Muon N'