SOLD: FS: ATC SCM50ASL CLASSIC

SOLD

Item: ATC SCM50ASL CLASSICS
Price: $7500
Item Condition: VERY GOOD
Reason for selling: TAKING A DIFFERENT PATH (SEE BELOW)
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Okay, I've been pondering this for some months now.   I've got a pair of ATC SCM50ASL Classics to sell.   I've been an ATC fan for some five years now having owned SCM10 (x 2 pairs), SCM20 (x 2 pairs), C$C centre, SCM40 mk2 and these SCM50 ASL's.   Initially I bought a pair of 20's to see what all the fuss was about, I was hooked.  I then spent about two and a half years searching for a pair of active SCM's and in that time a total number of zero pairs came up for sale in Australia.  I got sick of waiting and put my hard earned cash into a pair of current model SCM40's, the passive variety.   I've lived with and loved these since and always content until quite out of the blue I was contacted by a guy who was selling his very good condition SCM50ASL's (these ones).   I spent a few days thinking about it as I wasn't financially viable at the time but decided to have a big sell up and raise the funds.

In the middle of all this I was confident of raising the funds so I bought the 50's and continued with the sell off which included my 40's.   The 50's were clearly better than the 40's in most every way apart from maybe looks (in the eye of the beholder) and the new ATC tweeter in the 40's is ever so slightly nicer than the 50's.   I've had alot of speakers over the years including a fully active DEQX/Legend system and it was obvious right from the first track I played on the 50's that they are the real deal.   I've had a few muso's over for a listen and their comments are that they sound 'real' and live.  

My speakers are the full active model with the SL bass drivers.  The midrange drivers are the 'S' version which means they have much larger magnets than the domestic versions.   The tweeters are the Seas excel 001's.   Each driver is powered individually and with no passive crossovers in the way the drivers get all the power direct from the amps.   For more technical info please visit the ATC website and check out the various reviews available.

ATC monitors are used in a large majority of recording studios around the world.  They range from small to large and apparently the main difference between models is the bass output.   The 50's are the baby of the SL pro range but at nearly 60kg each they can't be described as small or light weight.   They play what's fed to them.  If there's not much bottom end that's what you will get, if it's in the recording you will hear it warts and all.   They respond well to different sources.   I've tried a couple of different pre amps and dacs.   Each has been a delight on the ATC's with the speakers just revealing the nature of each component.   I'm currently using a tube based pre and dac but have also used ME and Elektra pre amps.   

The speakers are in very good condition.  The model hasn't changed much since its inception apart from the very latest model which has ATC's own tweeter.  Apart from that they are much the same from all those years ago.  My speakers are the previous generation (not the current tweeter model) and are a cherry finish.   They are in very good condition with one blemish across the side of one cabinet.   I have pictured the speakers and blemish, normally the blemish can't be seen and I had to do a bit of light trickery to get it to show up.  One of the grills has what appears to be a spot of paint on the top.  I never used the grills as I reckon they look crap anyway.   The speakers look much better without grills, they really look the business.   They come with ATC stands which bring the midrange to about ear height in lounge chairs.   Current RRP on the SCM50ASL classic is over $30,000.  

My reasons for selling are quite complex but yet simple.   When I was doing the big sell to fund raise for the 50's I had a buyer for my 40's.   This was going to help put the money together to pay for the 50's.   I'd just done a demo on the 40's to the buyer and had explained to him that the 40's are a bit weighted to the front and to be careful not to let them tip forward.   I had put the speakers away against a well so they'd be safe and when as I was moving one I had a little slip and the speaker toppled forward onto a cable on the floor.   The cabinet of my 40 suffered a little cosmetic damage but it was enough to render them not suitable for sale.   They are worth alot more to me to keep now than to sell.   It was swear central in the house for a few hours after that.    I banished the 40's to the back of the room for HT rear speakers for a good 6 months before I could even look at them again.   I'm still paying the bank account back for the 50's and have decided that something has to go to inject the funds back.   I love the 40's and given the damage have accepted that for the time being I can live with them. 

I have some packaging from when I bought them but it's just Pack and Send boxes and a whole lot of bubble wrap.  I also have a pallet they arrived on.  I would prefer a local sale as I can't package them up sufficiently safely.   If you want pack and post I can only suggest getting a courier to pick them up, package them and forward to you.   

Demonstrations are welcome.  Bring your favourite music and enjoy.  

Pictures:

DSC_7161.JPG

DSC_7163.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

Edited by gat474
Typo
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, gat474 said:

Item: ATC SCM50ASL CLASSICS
Price: $7500
Item Condition: VERY GOOD
Reason for selling: TAKING A DIFFERENT PATH (SEE BELOW)
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Okay, I've been pondering this for some months now.   I've got a pair of ATC SCM50ASL Classics to sell.   I've been an ATC fan for some five years now having owned SCM10 (x 2 pairs), SCM20 (x 2 pairs), C$C centre, SCM40 mk2 and these SCM50 ASL's.   Initially I bought a pair of 20's to see what all the fuss was about, I was hooked.  I then spent about two and a half years searching for a pair of active SCM's and in that time a total number of zero pairs came up for sale in Australia.  I got sick of waiting and put my hard earned cash into a pair of current model SCM40's, the passive variety.   I've lived with and loved these since and always content until quite out of the blue I was contacted by a guy who was selling his very good condition SCM50ASL's (these ones).   I spent a few days thinking about it as I wasn't financially viable at the time but decided to have a big sell up and raise the funds.

In the middle of all this I was confident of raising the funds so I bought the 50's and continued with the sell off which included my 40's.   The 50's were clearly better than the 40's in most every way apart from maybe looks (in the eye of the beholder) and the new ATC tweeter in the 40's is ever so slightly nicer than the 50's.   I've had alot of speakers over the years including a fully active DEQX/Legend system and it was obvious right from the first track I played on the 50's that they are the real deal.   I've had a few muso's over for a listen and their comments are that they sound 'real' and live.  

My speakers are the full active model with the SL bass drivers.  The midrange drivers are the 'S' version which means they have much larger magnets than the domestic versions.   The tweeters are the Seas excel 001's.   Each driver is powered individually and with no passive crossovers in the way the drivers get all the power direct from the amps.   For more technical info please visit the ATC website and check out the various reviews available.

ATC monitors are used in a large majority of recording studios around the world.  They range from small to large and apparently the main difference between models is the bass output.   The 50's are the baby of the SL pro range but at nearly 60kg each they can't be described as small or light weight.   They play what's fed to them.  If there's not much bottom end that's what you will get, if it's in the recording you will hear it warts and all.   They respond well to different sources.   I've tried a couple of different pre amps and dacs.   Each has been a delight on the ATC's with the speakers just revealing the nature of each component.   I'm currently using a tube based pre and dac but have also used ME and Elektra pre amps.   

The speakers are in very good condition.  The model hasn't changed much since its inception apart from the very latest model which has ATC's own tweeter.  Apart from that they are much the same from all those years ago.  My speakers are the previous generation (not the current tweeter model) and are a cherry finish.   They are in very good condition with one blemish across the side of one cabinet.   I have pictured the speakers and blemish, normally the blemish can't be seen and I had to do a bit of light trickery to get it to show up.  One of the grills has what appears to be a spot of paint on the top.  I never used the grills as I reckon they look crap anyway.   The speakers look much better without grills, they really look the business.   They come with ATC stands which bring the midrange to about ear height in lounge chairs.   Current RRP on the SCM50ASL classic is over $30,000.  

My reasons for selling are quite complex but yet simple.   When I was doing the big sell to fund raise for the 50's I had a buyer for my 40's.   This was going to help put the money together to pay for the 50's.   I'd just done a demo on the 40's to the buyer and had explained to him that the 40's are a bit weighted to the front and to be careful not to let them tip forward.   I had put the speakers away against a well so they'd be safe and when as I was moving one I had a little slip and the speaker toppled forward onto a cable on the floor.   The cabinet of my 40 suffered a little cosmetic damage but it was enough to render them not suitable for sale.   They are worth alot more to me to keep now than to sell.   It was swear central in the house for a few hours after that.    I banished the 40's to the back of the room for HT rear speakers for a good 6 months before I could even look at them again.   I'm still paying the bank account back for the 50's and have decided that something has to go to inject the funds back.   I love the 40's and given the damage have accepted that for the time being I can live with them. 

I have some packaging from when I bought them but it's just Pack and Send boxes and a whole lot of bubble wrap.  I also have a pallet they arrived on.  I would prefer a local sale as I can't package them up sufficiently safely.   If you want pack and post I can only suggest getting a courier to pick them up, package them and forward to you.   

Demonstrations are welcome.  Bring your favourite music and enjoy.  

Pictures:

DSC_7161.JPG

DSC_7163.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

2 hours ago, Qwertyqaz said:

I would love to get them, need to know what the actives sound like compared to my passive SCM40's.

Any takers for my SCM 40 and ME850 ?

Similar in tonality but way more dynamic, better bass, a much better tweeter indeed. Same ATC 'house' sound but more of everything. I had the SCM 40 (previous version with shitty vifa tweeter) and the 50's were a different beast indeed. Dynamics are some of the best i have heard but they were just too big for my room. End game speaker for most at a bargain price. 

Guest deanB

I've never heard Atc actives but finally got to have a listen to a pair of Scm100 actives the other day. The improvement in timing of voices and instruments was a key difference over my passives and that lead to a more refined, uncongested sound. Very nice, good luck with the sale.

Right, I've been inundated with inquiries about the speakers.  At this stage I have a 'sold' pending payment.   I will update the thread and notify the mods once this is confirmed.

Thanks to those who messaged or 'liked'.   Looks like they were well priced after all, who would have thought?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AlurkA said:

Very sorry to hear of the 40's roll over. GLWTS. Buy with confidence from Gat474. 

Yeah, it was crap.   It all happened in slow motion but I couldn't do a thing to stop it.   The grill covers the damage so I don't see it.  It's not alot of damage but enough, like putting a scratch on your shiny new car!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...