Sign in to follow this  
christosd

BMW M135i - M140i

Really don’t like styling inside out, they have achieved incredible power and torque from the 4 pot turbo :)

Somehow ended up with less headroom in the back, stuff all gains other wise 

like the new misano blue ... though same as corolla and focus !

glad I got my m140i when did :)

Yep. I agree. In at Adelaide motors typing this as we speak. A red 140 available with 3000km for 50k. 

Other priorities at the moment so will have to keep the m135i. As a result, I did just buy a service contract until 2025 for 700 bucks though... Bargain. 

On 26/04/2019 at 6:19 PM, betty boop said:

with the DME it apparently wipes the dodgy CarPlay I have .... which dont mind, I grabbed the legit version with lifetime subscription when they had it on discount :) look forward to that getting sorted as well :)

You have to pay for car play? Never heard of that before. Typical of the "everything's an option" German philosophy, although it was standard in both my wifes Golf R and Audi S3. I have car play but also have native Spotify app and a native message reading app in the Volvo. When I connect car play the screen looks decidedly lo res compared to native apps but the biggest issue for me is I can't search in car play spotify whereas I can in the native app.

13 minutes ago, blybo said:

You have to pay for car play? Never heard of that before. Typical of the "everything's an option" German philosophy, although it was standard in both my wifes Golf R and Audi S3. I have car play but also have native Spotify app and a native message reading app in the Volvo. When I connect car play the screen looks decidedly lo res compared to native apps but the biggest issue for me is I can't search in car play spotify whereas I can in the native app.

yeah its a license cost no doubt.

bmw beleive their idrive is superior. and CarPlay only panders to half the audience so give the pay if want option. and their idrive is VERY good, and doesnt rely on phone and such updates like CarPlay can do. but I like things on car play how integrates in with the phone with the apple stuff like "hey siri" and such. just too used to it which had on the pioneer on the last car :)

I got it in their sale. so only fee hundred dollars for life, id say if buying a new car i would just get bundled in if important :) 

not sure re spotify. but the apps seem to look fine the bmw screen. these are apps native in CarPlay that can add in. I havent as such tried the screen mirroring which I think is an option. but been happy enough wiht the native apps :)

I think I'll only use carplay for navigating to appointments in unfamiliar areas which are already stored in my phone. The Volvo screens look like 1080p compared to 720p of carplay, and carplay generally has less functionality. I do use siri voice recognition instead of the cars system for phone calls though, iPhone voice recognition is definitely superior in that regard. Did the same in my last 2 cars as well.

8 minutes ago, blybo said:

I think I'll only use carplay for navigating to appointments in unfamiliar areas which are already stored in my phone. The Volvo screens look like 1080p compared to 720p of carplay, and carplay generally has less functionality. I do use siri voice recognition instead of the cars system for phone calls though, iPhone voice recognition is definitely superior in that regard. Did the same in my last 2 cars as well.

I seem to hover across few things. appointments to navigation is great via straight off calendar to address to apple maps. can go bang one appointment to next. with reminders and such. use siri to ring folk, and texting people its very good to.

the idirve is better in some ways than siri with street names to suburb and their voice system is very good, can also use the touch pad to write addresses in which can also be quick. I find google map via car play best with their traffic. so tend to use that if heading into congestion. 

I know some like waze, but I find it useless ! only seems to tell me the bleeding obvious ! so stopped using it. 

i like can hop between what is best with what. my only worry with all this stuff is how they keep cars updated with connecting to other tech ? in time will CarPlay no longer work once apple updates to iOS 22 or something :D atleast its wireless on the car so dont have to bother with changing physical plugs and connectivity ! :D 

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

my only worry with all this stuff is how they keep cars updated with connecting to other tech ? in time will CarPlay no longer work once apple updates to iOS 22 or something :D atleast its wireless on the car so dont have to bother with changing physical plugs and connectivity ! :D 

wireless carplay would be nice, as my Optus sim has unmetered spotify but it is frustrating to plug in. My car can get updates over wifi. I just use my phone as a hotspot for data to my native spotify app but use unlimited home wifi to download updates. I still have to do my native maps actually but it's a large file and was waiting for nbn.

I had a loan Mini with Carplay the other day and it was such a joy to use (basically iDrive with a slight Mini twist). 

Especially with TIDAL which pops up as an app on the screen. I could even use the the iDrive controller (didn't need touchscreen to navigate) 

I used to run Apple Music and the SIRI integration is great (didn't even need Carplay to work) but SIRI didn't work with TIDAL so CarPlay + TIDAL works a real treat. I might have to wait for another sale :)

Track Days...

anyone done these before and know how it all works? 

I have a birthday in a few months and I thought I could treat myself but i wouldn't know how to start. A few years back I looked into a BMW club track day but I couldn't keep up with all the various memberships and licences involved to participate. i think a collective of clubs secured exclusive use of the track for the weekend. 

24 minutes ago, wasabijim said:

Track Days...

anyone done these before and know how it all works? 

I have a birthday in a few months and I thought I could treat myself but i wouldn't know how to start. A few years back I looked into a BMW club track day but I couldn't keep up with all the various memberships and licences involved to participate. i think a collective of clubs secured exclusive use of the track for the weekend. 

bmw track day as far as i know you are not driving your own car. literally turn up isnt it ? they provide everything ? 

https://www.bmw.com.au/en/topics/offers-and-services/Driving-Experience/requirements.html

unless talking about separate private club thing and joining a club day when all manner of other cars are on ? that is different and will need specific insurance for your car for the day and such. as normal insurance wont cover things.

not so much those day experience things (I got my brother 6 laps in a V8 super car a few years back) but more an open day of sorts, BYO car and insurance measures to suit your risk appetite. Nürburgring  style. one  of my buds is always going on about his "track" car, not saying i want to show him up, but it sounds like a good day out. 

A week into my new drive I thought it time to post some comparions bewteen the old 2013 M135i and the new 2019 M140i I've just managed to put on 500km since last Tueday when I picked her up from LiquidR in Nunnawading who did a splendid job of ceramic tinting and coating inside and out along with wrapping the canards silver bits and the side mirrors silver bits too, so the front on view of her is now more matched to the shiny black grill I think.

The noise level inside and out has dropped some what, the wife doesn't complain now about hearing me coming and going but then I'm driving to keep the revs below 2000 ATM.

The most noticeable driving difference is the programming of the drive by wire accelarator, its not anywhere near as aggresive as before. That's not to say there isn't more grunt BTW.

I ordered the beige interior again as it looks nice and smart and with the proofing should last the distance like the old one did, the main immediately noticeable difference is that the floor and lower doors has come in black now so more serviceable and contrasts nicely with the beige door inserts.

Ride wise this new car is softer and quieter on all surfaces, I'm still learning its limits as to be expectted, even in sports modes, yes I've used them all :)

Sports mode instrumenets are about double the size now making it easier to see when old like me!

Not sure what to do with a mouse you can scribble on to make images on the nice touch screen, maybe do drawings for clients perhaps if I don't get the shakes first!

The plethra of choice when it comes to dialing in the sound system Computer, Phone and Internet connection stuff could take pages to write about, nothing like this existed on the old girl.

I'm not sure I like that when punching in a dialled phone number if one hesitates for too long the car system assumes you've made a mistake and auto erases the last digit, driving along a city road with lots of traffic lights it took a while to beat the bloody thing to get 8 digits done, two digits in catching red light, drive away till next red, oops its gone again, follow me?  LOL I'll just have to use voice commands then...

Tyres wise I've got the standard offering 18" pilot super sports which I'd love to swap out for the S4's as soon as possible. Like those S4's a lot gives a better feel to road position and of course keeping the back end pointing where its supposed to be going (mostly)......

Lastly for now is the engine g'box combo and as its so nearly identical as before and not pushing it towards that red line its just too ealy yet to make any in depth comments save to say there's more on tap from the engine. it just comes about differently now, not as go-kart like urgent.

That's interesting. I preferred the PSS over the Ps4.  I've still got 4mm on my ps4... Probably too late to swap with you ;)

My wheels aren't in the best of condition either so if you find a whole rim/tyre set of Ps4 somewhere.... Or the 19s in Ps4S somewhere, I'd consider buying your oem 18pss from you lock stock and barrel.

2 hours ago, christosd said:

That's interesting. I preferred the PSS over the Ps4

as far as I know PSS is a step up from ps4 which is really a replacement for the Ps3. it is the PS4S that is the step up from pss I understand. but PS4S is only made in 19" and in very limited sizes. also coming from US I believe ....