Posted (edited)

Agree. The devil is in the detail with such specific testing as the moose test. Considering there isnt massive amounts of drive torque applied (if at all) during a test like this, then rwd/fwd/awd questions are less relevant. 

Without reading all of the subtitled observations, (just looking at the body control afforded by the rebound damping after the vehicle loads up and needs to change direction) , they have nailed the damping and suspension tune for the weight bias of the vehicle. Cars like this are usually fun to drive. 

I reckon some of the best fun I've ever had was corkscrew road (NE Adelaide hills) in the original Renault Sport Clio. Its spring and damper rates were so beautifully setup, you could drive it with the throttle, steering wheel and brake all in different combinations and get around a corner a million different ways, all of which were fun. No ESP. 

Edited by christosd
  • Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ready and waiting for me today !        could'nt wait to take it to the hills...        so awesome to drive. man it really gets up and g

ha have reached a milestone.... the magic number 2000 kms... run in is done   which means can now unleash....  that said I have said mentioned that the nannies still keep some things r

Hopefully will be sold late this week.  Yes, it did always feel responsive, enthusiastic and quite quick - amazingly so for a 2L 4 cylinder and much livelier than the Falcon XR6 turbo it replaced.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, christosd said:

Agree. The devil is in the detail with such specific testing as the moose test. Considering there isnt massive amounts of drive torque applied (if at all) during a test like this, then rwd/fwd/awd questions are less relevant

The Moose test is run in top gear and the driver comes off the throttle completely 2m into the entry lane so it's in overrun for all the swervy bits.

Some cars will not react well to this, especially those with a lively back end, aka fun to drive in the bendy bits or those prone to lift off oversteer.

I noticed also in the 308 run a couple of dabs on the brakes. Not sure that's meant to happen.

• Moderators

19 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

Yeah, RWD is king.....FWD is rubbish......not. Maybe it has something to do with weight.

abolutely and as i called out in that case AWD vs RWD actually we were comparing how new and m135i goes vs old gen rwd 118i of all things. clearly the RWD platform there a lot better sorted for this kind of strenuous test.... AWD clearly adds quite a bit of weight and no doubt as much as bmw no doubt put some effort has hampered things. the m135i AWD version weighs more than the older RWD version. also suspect case of balance and weight distribution too. with the AWD its FWD placement of everything with taking power tor wheels with a diff. 

have no doubt the peugeot 308 is a good handler, my own experice  going as far back to the humble 306, peugeot always been pretty good in these stakes. in fact was even subject of their marketing and promotional program. to point local dealer taking out for a spin, first thing he does he takes me at some speed through a couple of roundabouts and then tells me here's the key go for a nice drive down along the beach road :D weight is indeed a good factor too with 308 a lot of effort from peugeot to lighten ... add lightness in old colin chapmans words :) 

4 hours ago, christosd said:

I reckon some of the best fun I've ever had was corkscrew road (NE Adelaide hills) in the original Renault Sport Clio. Its spring and damper rates were so beautifully setup, you could drive it with the throttle, steering wheel and brake all in different combinations and get around a corner a million different ways, all of which were fun. No ESP. 

some great fun had by me was in little light fiat 500....which was even their base model. steel wheels drum brakes. stock everything yet an absolute hoot through the hills. engine just keep on boil. and yes beautiful in handling... so light and chuckable....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,  Wow I now have it all.  Hi-Fi and cars in one forum.  Cream on top to see this thread, I'm a keen M140 owner - wanted one since reading articles praising their performance since the advent of the M135 (I love hot hatches) and bought a new one in June last year (in classic estoril blue).  Here's a pic of it straight after a detail.

IMG_6059.jpg

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, qik_shift said:

Hey all,  Wow I now have it all.  Hi-Fi and cars in one forum.  Cream on top to see this thread, I'm a keen M140 owner - wanted one since reading articles praising their performance since the advent of the M135 (I love hot hatches) and bought a new one in June last year (in classic estoril blue).  Here's a pic of it straight after a detail.

congrats ! Qik shift she is a beauty ! great you found this ..... thread here ... with its small little band of owners :D

how is the car going ... how are you finding it in ownership. now out being in melbourne you are kinda stuck 😛 but doesnt stop me taking it for a short putt around in any case ! 

have you done anything with yours at all ? or planning to keep it stock...

23 hours ago, betty boop said:

congrats ! Qik shift she is a beauty ! great you found this ..... thread here ... with its small little band of owners :D

how is the car going ... how are you finding it in ownership. now out being in melbourne you are kinda stuck 😛 but doesnt stop me taking it for a short putt around in any case ! 

have you done anything with yours at all ? or planning to keep it stock...

Thanks for reaching out.  To be honest i'm enjoying the car more than I thought I would.  Hearing the silky six every time I start the little hatchback never tires me.

True i'm barely driving in isolation, but try to go for a spirited trip now and then :D.  

Mine's completely stock.  I've thought about doing an exhaust and flash tune (possibly LSD) but this is my daily so want to keep it simple.

Any suggestions for who to go to to get these sort of mods done in Melbourne?

Cheers!

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, qik_shift said:

Thanks for reaching out.  To be honest i'm enjoying the car more than I thought I would.  Hearing the silky six every time I start the little hatchback never tires me. True i'm barely driving in isolation, but try to go for a spirited trip now and then :D.  

oh absolutely love it. stick it into sport for a squirt to the shops and back :D take the long way there hehe

5 minutes ago, qik_shift said:

Mine's completely stock.  I've thought about doing an exhaust and flash tune (possibly LSD) but this is my daily so want to keep it simple.

Any suggestions for who to go to to get these sort of mods done in Melbourne?

they are fantastic stock really ! I contemplated exhaust...but live on a VERY quite small street. and love the jekyl and hyde nature of the car too much with its bimodal factory exhaust that is reasonably non attention calling if want it to be in comfort-eco pro and also like a screaming banshee when want it to be :D love that twin scroll straight six turbo in full flight ! 

re mods in melbourne....southernBM are great.... I had LSD (Quaife) done through them and got a deal with the underbody brace... which comes from the 2 door coupe which shares same chasis and be a must do I reckon. they swap out the free diff with the LSD using a change out casing... so none be the wiser there is even an LSD in there :D love it especially in the wet of melbourne so much more controlled and takes away any surprises ! :) SouthernBM also do exhausts if want them to. from the BMW factory performance to the mad Akrapovics...which they themselves say they usually have to program out the rich start as it be just WAY too loud for the neighbourhood hehe. am pretty sure southern BM aren't doing much apart from essential servicing given covid but be back open in a couple of weeks !

probably others in melb, which folks can recommend. @agelessgoodguy uses an independant for a few things, not sure whether they do mods and things. 

you can go to town and mod these cars to hell if want ! just need to know when to stop i think hehe

Have heard a lot about SouthernBM so will look into it when I eventually mod mine.  Agree that If I did some form of exhaust mod, it would be mild as it is my daily and I do have a good relationship with my neighbours which I would rather keep :)

Thanks for the advice on the underbody brace too.  Already winning on this forum!

Compared to my other car (RS3) it does feel like it could juuuust do with a little more volume to accentuate the character of the car without it being offensive to others who don't appreciate cars like we do.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, qik_shift said:

Have heard a lot about SouthernBM so will look into it when I eventually mod mine.  Agree that If I did some form of exhaust mod, it would be mild as it is my daily and I do have a good relationship with my neighbours which I would rather keep :)

southernbm would be good to talk to. they actually bought a m140i at end of the model run themselves to trick it out. was great chatting to them about all things they done to it :D

47 minutes ago, qik_shift said:

Compared to my other car (RS3) it does feel like it could juuuust do with a little more volume to accentuate the character of the car without it being offensive to others who don't appreciate cars like we do.

RS3 is delifelyy a lot louder :D one of our neighbours start of our street has one and we can hear it firing up from where we are :D 

the m performance is a good mild factory option, the only thing I dont like about it is you loose the bimodal aspect. which i dont like as doing long distances country drives etc ... I wouldn't want the drone of it all the time. and these are quite well insulated quiet cars and wouldn't want to loose that aspect, 

Hiya and welcome to our little Melbourne based Blue M140i hatch club Qik_shift (no disrespect to the others around OZ intended), Al has told you most of what you asked about already so I'll be brief. Mine also brought new in June last year,  is done out with the beige leather, wood grain trim, comfort access and electric front seats, and lastly I vinyl coated gloss black my wing mirrors and front panhard covers so they matched the black grill.  Al can tall you about his choices inside and out. Yours? Apart from a new set of S4's to give me better and wider grip on the standard rim sizes mines stock like yours is ATM, which improves grip without the need for LSD. yep this car is driven a fair bit having passed through 45,000 km already, mostly just in Melbourne. What suburb are you from? I'm from down the southern end of Melb? Al has pics of his and mine together maybe we can make that into a threesome some time? Oh and what stereo gear do you run too?

14 hours ago, agelessgoodguy said:

Hiya and welcome to our little Melbourne based Blue M140i hatch club Qik_shift (no disrespect to the others around OZ intended), Al has told you most of what you asked about already so I'll be brief. Mine also brought new in June last year,  is done out with the beige leather, wood grain trim, comfort access and electric front seats, and lastly I vinyl coated gloss black my wing mirrors and front panhard covers so they matched the black grill.  Al can tall you about his choices inside and out. Yours? Apart from a new set of S4's to give me better and wider grip on the standard rim sizes mines stock like yours is ATM, which improves grip without the need for LSD. yep this car is driven a fair bit having passed through 45,000 km already, mostly just in Melbourne. What suburb are you from? I'm from down the southern end of Melb? Al has pics of his and mine together maybe we can make that into a threesome some time? Oh and what stereo gear do you run too?

Hey thanks for reaching out!  Mine has only just done over 11,000kms so she's still a baby!  In terms of options mine has the black leather interior, sunroof, harmon kardon, comfort access, electric front seats (heated) - that's all I can remember.  If I had it my way I would have chosen the beige interior as I think it's heaps nicer, but got a great deal on a car they had in stock.

Will keep the S4s in mind when those rear tyres wear out! I'm from the west side of Melbourne, but never afraid of a drive so yes would be nice to go for a photoshoot and catchup together.  Once all this lockdown business is over anyway............

Stereo gear at home or in the car? lol.  In the car stock HK which does the job.  At home I run NAD C658 pre/streamer, a pair of PS Audio Stellar M700s powering some Amphion Argon 7LS.  I have a NAD C568 CD player, Rega P6 TT running through a PS Audio Stellar phono stage.  Power is courtesy of a PS Audio PowerPlant 3.  Been a great little setup, and now need to let the wallet cool down a little because it's about to catch fire!! :)

When your somewhat jambed between love, time and THAT car, its easy to understand grabbing something close to ideal, rather than waiting the 5-6 Months like Al and I did by ordering to spec. Yes i was talking about the gear at home, not the car, we've all got the same there.

Edited by agelessgoodguy

• Moderators
14 hours ago, qik_shift said:

Mine has only just done over 11,000kms so she's still a baby!  In terms of options mine has the black leather interior, sunroof, harmon kardon, comfort access, electric front seats (heated) - that's all I can remember.  If I had it my way I would have chosen the beige interior as I think it's heaps nicer, but got a great deal on a car they had in stock.

yeah definitely worth the bargain for a stock car. there was no stock anyways when i got mine not even demo cars ... all had sold ... so going factory order I loved the way can customise these cars at no cost ! such a luxury even though its bmw baby base model ! 

Went the alcantara interior with the hex look going across to the hex aluminium inserts and continuing on with touch of blue. maybe not everyone's choice but love it as a combo :) 

fullsizeoutput_11efd

they actually stopped the alcantara at one stage so was very grateful ordered mine when did. @agelessgoodguy interior with the beige and wood is very classy ... would have probablt gone with that if no choice of the alcantara as well.  I am not Sure re they offer all these interior choices on the new model as they did on our old one. seems to be either leather (black ) or alcantara thats it ! 

On 01/09/2020 at 10:53 PM, betty boop said:

southernbm would be good to talk to. they actually bought a m140i at end of the model run themselves to trick it out. was great chatting to them about all things they done to it :D

RS3 is delifelyy a lot louder :D one of our neighbours start of our street has one and we can hear it firing up from where we are :D 

the m performance is a good mild factory option, the only thing I dont like about it is you loose the bimodal aspect. which i dont like as doing long distances country drives etc ... I wouldn't want the drone of it all the time. and these are quite well insulated quiet cars and wouldn't want to loose that aspect, 

i've put a Remus axle back unit on my m253i, it uses the stock valve control connection so still benefits from the bimodal aspect - louder in sport and sport+ modes etc. So its likely there's other options that also maintain this feature. alternatively, even with the stock exhaust, if you switch to sport then disconnect the servo control interconnect (just don't have it dangling to cause trouble) you'll have the valves left open and it will be loud all the time - just encase you want to see how that goes for you  (this is on the older N55 engines )

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, wasabijim said:

i getting a hit of that new car smell even from here!  

:D 

doing my best in keeping it mint still ...as much as I can... though havent bothered to wash outside in last few weeks... with lockdown... not much use :) 

15 hours ago, betty boop said:

:D 

doing my best in keeping it mint still ...as much as I can... though havent bothered to wash outside in last few weeks... with lockdown... not much use :) 

I could put together a series of photos that would make you guys cry... Been too busy at work to wash it the last few weeks. 

Greasy rear bumper, 2mm thick dust on back window from dirt roads, enough brake dust on all 4 wheels to forget whether wheels were actually silver, kids muesly bars shoved deep into the rear armrests and door pockets, 4 empty water bottles and a filing cabinet worth of receipts in front door pockets, titanium dioxide powder on steering wheel and upper door cards, fresh scuffs  on front windshield and bonnet where a D. H. from work parked an unsecured load of sand on a forklift next to my car and the wind picked up the pallet topper and scrubbed it all over the front of my car...... The list goes on. 

I still love pressing the "start" button everytime though. 

On 03/09/2020 at 7:46 AM, agelessgoodguy said:

When your somewhat jambed between love, time and THAT car, its easy to understand grabbing something close to ideal, rather than waiting the 5-6 Months like Al and I did by ordering to spec. Yes i was talking about the gear at home, not the car, we've all got the same there.

Yeah, just a personal preference - I'm not a fan of blackout kits and all the runout M140s had them AFAIK.  It was time for me to get to BMW and see what old stock I could get my hands on with my preference of Estoril blue with some options - I struck it lucky and got exactly what I wanted :)

Oh yes sorry I thought HK was an option but that was the M135 - you can now tell how many years I've gone to bmw.com.au and built a virtual car (embarrassed).

Just took her out today to get some take away - geez that engine is smooth and torquey!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, qik_shift said:

Yeah, just a personal preference - I'm not a fan of blackout kits and all the runout M140s had them AFAIK.  It was time for me to get to BMW and see what old stock I could get my hands on with my preference of Estoril blue with some options - I struck it lucky and got exactly what I wanted :)

yeah the black out trend is STRONG hence they went that with the finale edition I think...might as well give the punters what they want... I think they somehow missed blacking out the ferric grey bit in the back bumper somehow though ! :D 

I like the ferric grey inserts myself including door mirrors...matches my ferric grey alloys.. I love the fancy look of them... my sister in law first seeing my car said... wow fancy wheels :D so they must catch some attention hehe. they are an absolute bugger to clean though. had them ceramic coated as soon as could so much easier to keep tidy.. though like @christosd they might as well be matt black with all the brake dust and grime coated with hehe

plan to give car a good clean ..hopefully before lockdown ends ! 

Oh yes sorry I thought HK was an option but that was the M135 - you can now tell how many years I've gone to bmw.com.au and built a virtual car (embarrassed).

yeah with the m140i the HK became std.... I have many times thought of updating it ... but to be honest its good enough I keep thinking. as for folk here only @fury has mentioend a high end audio upgrade for the car, though not sure how he went for that :) 

Just took her out today to get some take away - geez that engine is smooth and torquey!

pure cream :D 

45 minutes ago, betty boop said:

yeah the black out trend is STRONG hence they went that with the finale edition I think...might as well give the punters what they want... I think they somehow missed blacking out the ferric grey bit in the back bumper somehow though ! :D 

I like the ferric grey inserts myself including door mirrors...matches my ferric grey alloys.. I love the fancy look of them... my sister in law first seeing my car said... wow fancy wheels :D so they must catch some attention hehe. they are an absolute bugger to clean though. had them ceramic coated as soon as could so much easier to keep tidy.. though like @christosd they might as well be matt black with all the brake dust and grime coated with hehe

plan to give car a good clean ..hopefully before lockdown ends ! 

Yeah I remember when I went to the Audi dealership and ordered one to spec and waited several months for it.  While I ordered quite a few options the blackout pack wasn't one of them.  The salesperson looked at me like I had a pair of eyes on my chin or something - almost all the cars they had in stock had the blackout pack.

Those ferric grey inserts on the other hand - particularly the mirror - look fantastic.  When I wax my car, that's the bit I like doing the most :)

Got off my lazy backside and washed her   Hope you don't mind me bombing the thread with pics.

IMG_8962.thumb.JPG.667be4fe65f808eefd2109f6062bb2ac.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_7937.JPG

Edited by qik_shift
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, qik_shift said:

Got off my lazy backside and washed her   Hope you don't mind me bombing the thread with pics.

lovely ! it still has the new car feel :) 

thanks for the motivation :D I have to get my butt into gear and do the same :) 

Please tell me if I need to be professionally checked, but I had a moment I'd like to share.

It's the evening, your errands including washing the car are done for the day.  You've listened to some great music.  Settled in for the evening.  The other half asks what's for dinner - and we both agree on take away.

You get in the car, start her up and head off to the shop.  Because the car's clean it just seems to drive that little bit better - It's her way of saying thank you for taking good care of her.  You park the car, head towards the shop and then you look back knowing you're gonna like what you're about to see........

IMG_6288.jpg