Tar mate will try it out,how's your beasty going? got 34,000 km coming up on mine now as works continued flat out during the virus shut down so I haven't really felt it at all or caught it either for that matter. Got a PS4 tyre price and found they'd be about $100 saving over the price of the last set on my M135i so nice to know when the time comes, my right rear is suffering the most do you know why :)

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ready and waiting for me today !        could'nt wait to take it to the hills...        so awesome to drive. man it really gets up and g

ha have reached a milestone.... the magic number 2000 kms... run in is done   which means can now unleash....  that said I have said mentioned that the nannies still keep some things r

Hopefully will be sold late this week.  Yes, it did always feel responsive, enthusiastic and quite quick - amazingly so for a 2L 4 cylinder and much livelier than the Falcon XR6 turbo it replaced.

Posted Images

• Moderators
2 hours ago, agelessgoodguy said:

Tar mate will try it out,how's your beasty going? got 34,000 km coming up on mine now as works continued flat out during the virus shut down so I haven't really felt it at all or caught it either for that matter. Got a PS4 tyre price and found they'd be about $100 saving over the price of the last set on my M135i so nice to know when the time comes, my right rear is suffering the most do you know why :)

good you are busy !!

mines continuing on nicely ageless, not much driving for me... that side is desk bound :D 

... driving desk around instead and too many zoom meetings ! ended up giving me severe back sprain ! 

am so glad got this car though...even going to the osteo/phsio... realised what a boon its comfy seats are ... that comfort suspension setting...and even the electric seat adjustment, lumbar and the heated seats :D 

anyways getting over the back pain, tomorrow probably longest drive, first time in ages actually heading to site ! 

just had my year 2 service ... only just clocked over 20k ! so not driving as much as you are. bmw balanced and aligned everything last service .... checked tyres all good thank goodness :D  

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, agelessgoodguy said:

good stuff Al I'm glad for you that you took my advise and ran around the block a couple of times in my meany first...... LOL

I reckon it was more that a few times :D ... I still can't believe the time kept jaming the loud pedal down as much as i could and the way the thing still just stayed so glued to the road  :D 

• 3 weeks later...

hot diggity! 

that's a bunch of body work from the M2 yeah? 

Love the removal of the rear doors

Maybe BMW do a "M2 Shooting Brake" 

none of this grand coupe business they keep doing 

1 hour ago, wasabijim said:

hot diggity! 

that's a bunch of body work from the M2 yeah? 

Love the removal of the rear doors

Maybe BMW do a "M2 Shooting Brake" 

none of this grand coupe business they keep doing 

I think he designed it as a homage to the old Z3M coupe/shooting brake. 

but yeah they definitely took parts from the M2. I’m guessing the front fenders and bumpers (including the headlights). It was already a 3 door hatch so they didn’t change the rest of the body work too much. I reckon the door might be from the M2 to match the lines/bulge of the front fenders. The rear fenders seem to be different from the regular 1 hatch as well. Don’t know how they modified it from the M2 donor car. You could see the rear quarter panel standing alone in one of the photos. The rear bumper has the lower half grafted from the M2 as well. 

I recall someone in Australia put the E90 V8 M3 engine in an M135i a while ago. 

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the reality of my old m135i. 

New set of Ps4 rears at 380 each. (still no option for ps4S in 18s available and PSS was over 500 bucks per rear tread! There was a serious lack of grip towards the end of their life but at least this time tread wear was pretty much even across the whole width of the tyre after 28000km of tyre life. 

Then,.... under moderate third year acceleration I heard a massive pop from under the bonnet, the tinkle of metal parts fly under the car, then the flashing of high beam from the car behind me on the southern expressway. Pulled over and saw that the plastic charge pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body had cracked and chucked the retaining clip. Drove home unboosted and on open ended fuel control and was surprisingly responsive but didn't want to risk sucking anything into the throttle body so took it easy. 

Replacement BMW genuine part.... $ 865!!!...all for a 3inch wide plastic tube 1 foot and a half long with a couple of sensor mounts and a cr@ppy retaining clip arrangement. Oh well. I bought an ebay special for 150 bucks, made out of Aluminium that by all accounts, will be better than OEM plastic. If all goes ok, I'll update and suggest that when (not if) yours blows, save some bucks and go the Aluminium aftermarket part. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, christosd said:

Replacement BMW genuine part.... $ 865!!!...all for a 3inch wide plastic tube 1 foot and a half long with a couple of sensor mounts and a cr@ppy retaining clip arrangement. Oh well. I bought an ebay special for 150 bucks, made out of Aluminium that by all accounts, will be better than OEM plastic. If all goes ok, I'll update and suggest that when (not if) yours blows, save some bucks and go the Aluminium aftermarket part. 

sorry to hear this was a similar thing with @agelessgoodguy with the charge pipe...seems a common occurence as get up in the ks....not sure if afflicts m140i but kind of thing probably worth doing at some stage i suppose.

re tyres am at 24k still looking good with the PSS :D will have to settle on a set at one stage i suppose...

Posted (edited)

I know @agelessgoodguylikes the Ps4 but I still miss the PSS a little. If  Ihad a 19" option, I'd be saving up for the ps4S.. Surely there will be occasional specials on PSS. 

Edited by christosd
  • Moderators
Just now, christosd said:

I know @agelessgoodguylikes the Ps4 but I still miss the PSS a little. If  Ihad a 19" option, I'd be saving up for the ps4s.. Surely there will be occasional specials on PSS. 

ive been happy with my pss. i'll look out on specials but not kind of thing usually look out for ! indeed i wish there was 18: PS4s ! that would be easiest answer but i dont think price be much less than pss ! 

2 hours ago, christosd said:

I know @agelessgoodguylikes the Ps4 but I still miss the PSS a little. If  Ihad a 19" option, I'd be saving up for the ps4S.. Surely there will be occasional specials on PSS. 

Try looking in Costco stores Chris, they have a special deal with Michelan, you'll save about $80/wheel I think ATM.

13 hours ago, agelessgoodguy said:

Try looking in Costco stores Chris, they have a special deal with Michelan, you'll save about $80/wheel I think ATM.

Costco are always very good on price for Michelin. Good service too and they even fill them with nitrogen.

16 hours ago, christosd said:

Replacement BMW genuine part.... $ 865!!!...all for a 3inch wide plastic tube 1 foot and a half long with a couple of sensor mounts and a cr@ppy retaining clip arrangement.

$865 for a short length of plastic charge pipe.

And I thought VW ripped us off for spare parts (which they do).

30 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

$865 for a short length of plastic charge pipe.

And I thought VW ripped us off for spare parts (which they do).

Ill let everyone know once I get the ebay special in. 

On 16/06/2020 at 6:20 PM, betty boop said:

sorry to hear this was a similar thing with @agelessgoodguy with the charge pipe...seems a common occurence as get up in the ks....not sure if afflicts m140i but kind of thing probably worth doing at some stage i suppose.

re tyres am at 24k still looking good with the PSS :D will have to settle on a set at one stage i suppose...

I vaguely recall this issue in the m235i (N55 in general) when reading up on it years ago. 

i think this is the site

http://www.gt-innovation.de/wordpress/news/bmw-n55-common-problems/

but I'm sure we could waste a day putting into Google - N55 m135/m235 problems 

ive been happy with my pss. i'll look out on specials but not kind of thing usually look out for ! indeed i wish there was 18: PS4s ! that would be easiest answer but i dont think price be much less than pss ! 

I got a set of Goodyear Asym5s put on, great in wet and dry recommend as an alternative, noting I would go for the GY super sports next time though, it doesn't rain much where I am and the roads are pretty good

Posted (edited)

Hi @murrmax, Do you mind if I ask which car works well with the GYs? It would be interesting to have good vehicle/tyre synergy info open up some more choices for us. :)

Edited by christosd

I have a 130i running 18' 225 40 square set up, just upgraded B12pro kit, control arms and RSFB to sort the handling out, it's handling is transformed neutral, the ride quality is very good on the GY ASYM5s as is grip etc.  They were good value too. 

However now the steering is super sharp and shows up the slight tyre softness on initial turn in, hence next time why I would compromise a bit of comfort/noise next time for the GYSS or similar to match the responsiveness of the steer. Road feel is pretty good, however I have hydraulic steering so feel is good anyway..  All depends where your preferences/priorities are but overall they are a good tyre

• Moderators
On 17/06/2020 at 10:51 AM, christosd said:

Ill let everyone know once I get the ebay special in. 

no experience with these, 

but I note southernbm locally with an option too Christosd if not wanting to get the bmw version, too late for you, but might also be an option for others....

Worried about the charge pipe failing on your turbocharged BMW?
See the complete range of upgraded charge pipes and performance products on our online store today!
SouthernBM | #ftpmotorsport
📱 03 9555 4049
🌐 southernbm.com.au
📧 info@southernbm.com.au

https://southernbm.com.au/products/brands/ftp-motorsport-jmzhq?fbclid=IwAR3JRPHKGhgWXOcH5xv_Tp5wNrlIL-Vq7lneKrXTYc9H8hELvoLGUrfnH0Y

Thanks. All info is good info. The BMW plastic one was 880 bucks.  The Southern BM one is ~$550 and looks to be a better fit by virtue of it having a central silicon joiner.  It also looks like the diameter coming off the intercooler is narrower than the one I ordered.  Anyway, mine ($150) arrived today but it didn't come with the clip to attach it to the throttle body. The ebay ad said that it came with all hardware necessary to fit so that will be one of those ebay 'battle of words'.  My clip flung off, rattled away under the car and hit the Subie tailgating me on the expressway when it popped.  Anyway, just the clip (and spare O-ring) was 30 bucks!  Anyway, waiting for the clip to come before I fit it.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, agelessgoodguy said:

I wonder how much of this new technology will be left untapped in our current BMW's guys ?

V A G is introducing this sort of stuff as well across it's range.

Fudge the initial price and then tease you with all sorts of things that are included in the car but you can't use them unless you pay even more.

Not a fan.