christosd

BMW M135i - M140i

11 minutes ago, wasabijim said:

1-series cross generational match off in the damp. hello xDrive... 

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/03/17/video-bmw-m135i-drag-races-older-bmw-m140i/ 

what an interesting comparison... not suprised m135i pulled ahead in the wet but m140i soon caught up ! gosh how good does that m140i sound hammering in rolling start :D love that 3L straight 6 ! the m135i is just a whoosh sound :) the braking test is a massive surprise more than a full car length to m140i advantage didnt realise m140i was so much more lighter than the new car ? 

heck given what the m135i costs new ... if picked up the m140i and dropped  an quaiffe LSD in for $3.5k that woudl take care of the standing wet start as well and likely still quite a cheaper car than the new one...

good sum up of their conclusions though....

"The end result confirms my theory and the M140i proves its worth throughout the three tests. In the standing drag race, the M140i was left behind at first but it managed to make a great comeback and crossed the finish line just 0.01 seconds faster than the M135i. In the rolling race the difference was even bigger. What surprised me though was the brake test, where the M140i won again, even though in terms of kerb weights the two are not that far apart."

10 hours ago, betty boop said:

didnt realise m140i was so much more lighter than the new car ? 

, even though in terms of kerb weights the two are not that far apart."

I was gong to suggest that those Haldex AWD systems add a lot of weight to cars, somewhere in the vicinity of 100kgs. But then the last sentence suggests that the weights are similar so who knows?

We all love the displacement part, but unfortunately the restrictions with European taxes by litre means that companies have to think smarter. I think its a positive sign that they were able to get very close to the old model considering the restrictions placed upon manufacturers.

15 minutes ago, RockandorRoll said:

I was gong to suggest that those Haldex AWD systems add a lot of weight to cars, somewhere in the vicinity of 100kgs. But then the last sentence suggests that the weights are similar so who knows?

theyre close... the m140 is 1450kg the m135i AWD is 1525kg...

17 minutes ago, RockandorRoll said:

We all love the displacement part, but unfortunately the restrictions with European taxes by litre means that companies have to think smarter. I think its a positive sign that they were able to get very close to the old model considering the restrictions placed upon manufacturers.

its more to do with packaging .... which is crazy as the space gains inside are quite minimal ! infact in at least one dimensions the m135i is worse ! the glorious 3L straight 6 is being left for more performance versions thats all... its still around with restrictions and all. just appearing now in full M cars the bmw Z4 and toyota supra instead.... :)  the 3L 6 is actually quite frugal in use if want it to be I can say with my driving :) am only using 1.6L/100 all time average more with the 3L straight 6 with twin scroll turbo over what was using all time average in my little fiat 500 :D the bmw has an amazing eco pro feature that if jsut cruising around even shows how much fuel you are saving with coasting function where engine just drops to idle. or regenerative braking and such. am sure the m135i will take all that forward but I wouldnt be expecting massive benefits ... performance wise .... definitely a massive job achieved though I agree getting the new one in cooee of old :)

If you look up the road tax in Europe, you can see how they are taxed by displacement which is driving the push towards smaller engines. This is across every brand, not just BMW. Aus on the other hand is super lucky, we are taxed on value.... /s

3 minutes ago, RockandorRoll said:

If you look up the road tax in Europe, you can see how they are taxed by displacement which is driving the push towards smaller engines. This is across every brand, not just BMW. Aus on the other hand is super lucky, we are taxed on value.... /s

always been that ways R&R . I remember a boss of mine heading across to uk in 90s and staying there for a month.... and rather than hire a car picked up a used 2.0L BMW ...folks staying with at the time were aghast... why do you need such a big engined car :D he didnt want to tell them back home he drove a 4L falcon :D 

but still the m140i is and has been hugely popular there, like here achieved some sort of cult status :)

but yes accept its a pressure on most makers... why a bmw 3 series can be bought with a 1.5L 3 cyl engine shock horror ! :D 

The M140I isn't that thirsty by comparison with other popular cars around of similar performance if driven carefully. For example, this week I had to do a roughly 700km drive around parts of NE Vic and home again, I left at 6-45 am and got home at 7-15 pm, I left with about 7/8 of a tank full and had enough left next day to still drive another 60 km before filling up. That was mostly on country and main highways and yep because of that I simply used Eco mode with an accumulated 16Km of distance fuel saved going by the cars readout. But there were times when it was gently booted (mixed metaphors?) and 140KM/hr flashed up so it wasn't all just plodding about. Love my BMW M140i 😍

Next week its a similar cruise down to Narracoorte and back in a day, wanta come with me?

41 minutes ago, agelessgoodguy said:

The M140I isn't that thirsty by comparison with other popular cars around of similar performance if driven carefully. For example, this week I had to do a roughly 700km drive around parts of NE Vic and home again, I left at 6-45 am and got home at 7-15 pm, I left with about 7/8 of a tank full and had enough left next day to still drive another 60 km before filling up. That was mostly on country and main highways and yep because of that I simply used Eco mode with an accumulated 16Km of distance fuel saved going by the cars readout. But there were times when it was gently booted (mixed metaphors?) and 140KM/hr flashed up so it wasn't all just plodding about. Love my BMW M140i 😍

Next week its a similar cruise down to Narracoorte and back in a day, wanta come with me?

just what love about this car, it can be such a good long distance driver...

cant believe nearly 2 year coming up on my m140i ! its looking a treat ! still :D  love the way it sits ! 

IMG_1020.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpeg

the opticoat has been well worth doing too..

the other side of car I recently had to get a touch up done of the optic coat after an altercation :D .... 

good ot have back like new again :D 

IMG_1029.jpeg

one thing the detailer said is how good the paint work on bmw are ...fit finish workmanship with panel work paint quality and such.  he said the tesla and ford mustang he has done were quite sh!t by comparison 😮 bit like a lot of american cars works on. anyways good bmw puts some effort in with even the baby of their range :) 

looks good.

Through all the things that I love about driving this car I have had a  couple of small oil leaks that have really p!ssed me off of late.  Just outside of warranty too.  One was the Oil filter housing O-ring.  It was sufficiently bad that it dropped oil level ahead of time to be picked up by on board diagnostics but not a single drop on driveway!  The Mechanic reckons that the acoustic engine undertray had about a litre of oil soaked into it!.  After having to move the intake manifold aside to get to the last housing bolt, it was noticed that the inlet valves had a little carbon buildup so I decided to get them cleaned while at it. (To save me the expense of doing it at 100,000km.  It runs a lot better now and idles more smoothly so worth the extra 100's.

Now, another oil leak!  Completely unrelated but common to these motors is the rocker cover gasket!  There is a point at the rear, right under the cowling that drips along the back of the head, then drips onto the turbo heat-shield.  it smells a bit and drips onto my driveway a drop every couple of drives.  After having a quick look on UK BMW forums, it appears that is a  very common occurrence that only surfaces after reasonable mileage....but mine has only done 70,000km.  Some are blaming it on some kid on the production line over tensioning it that was subsequently sacked.  Although unlikely, I feel I could kill that kid...:).  A more likely scenario is that the plasticiser used in the rubber has left the gasket and it has gone hard. 

...Next...Accessories drive belt tensioner pulley bearing has started to make the slightest of noise apparent only from the outside of the car....only between 950 and 1200 rpm (which is the belt resonance frequency). A Home isolation project there I think.....The rocker Cover Gasket on the other hand is not easy....Hi pressure Direct Injection lines off, coil packs, injector fittings, Strut tower removal, min 6 hours of  labour....if you know what you are doing.  lining up the new gasket seems really hard too.

I could just top up and keep driving it through the zombie apocalypse.

Just too fussy 😊

Trip to Naracoorte & back took 11 hours near enough, 1150 Km used about 71 liters of Premium, average speed >100km/hr in eco mode mainly. I found out that this car has worked out that I'm driving for long stints, so it asks me via the screen if I'm tired and want a break or not! WTF that's a new one on me haha. I wonder what it'd have done if I said yes ?

It would have put itself into sport mode and said "wake up - now drive properly"

1 hour ago, agelessgoodguy said:

y. I found out that this car has worked out that I'm driving for long stints, so it asks me via the screen if I'm tired and want a break or not! WTF that's a new one on me

My merc used to do that ... putting a big cup coffee on the screen ! Hint hint ! :D 

I generally stop every couple hours or so, so not seen that on bmw !

wow 6.1L/100 is doing pretty well on this thing :)

Posted (edited)

I could just top up and keep driving it through the zombie apocalypse.

Just make sure you get those gaskets sorted and the cooling system checked,  you don't want your water-pump to fail when the zombies appear in you rear vision mirror..

They are worth it though great cars..

Edited by murrmax

heck given what the m135i costs new ... if picked up the m140i and dropped  an quaiffe LSD in for $3.5k that woudl take care of the standing wet start as well and likely still quite a cheaper car than the new one...

I'd be looking at upgrading the suspension first before getting a LSD,

6 minutes ago, murrmax said:

I'd be looking at upgrading the suspension first before getting a LSD,

oh they are some wild machines in that clip there .... :D can do all sorts wiht these cars ! but mines nothing like that, but no, these cars need an LSD I reckon, best money ive spent. gives you that surety and without having to go the AWD approach that lacks the RWD feel.

with the suspension, we are VERY lucky here to get the selectable adaptive suspension. yes sure definitely lot of folk go for all sorts of mods it is one of the things many like about these cars. but am happy with the jekyl - hyde at a flick of a switch we get with these cars ... from comfort very every day to the sharp and taught of sport-sport + infact how the entire car tightens up with flick into sport with steering, chasis, throttle response gearbox etc is pretty amazing :) 

if taking these things to the track, first thing believe need to do is brakes from what I understand. the standard ones cook very easy ! not that these are really track cars ...

@alistairm dropped my m140i in for service, while there the guy showed me the m135i, they had one in blue on the floor in full msport livery and leather interior. Must say looks pretty decent inside and out. MUCH better in the metal. Like m140i perhaps photos just don’t capture. 

the leather seats look much better than m140i, I like my alcantara seats, though dash integration looks better than merc. It’s interesting the m135i makes m140i look a more grown ups car :D makes the m140i already look more classic bmw. The m135i is clearly a new gen of bmw stying.  I like the more classic interior of m140i but m135i I think will date better and minus the glitz and glam approach of Mercedes a series ...

the front grill Also not so dominating in person ...

7CC04D29-548C-4F8D-99CA-3B82327298B6.jpeg

back end is more non descript gosh large exhaust... but more burbly ...again looking back at photo of black one I saw walking out, doesn’t capture this car.....

ps sales stopped dead with covid ... but then the factories are shut too .. 

They look quite smart in the flesh, but I'm not sure how well they'll date... as you say, definitely better than the Mercs though, which almost look cartoonish to my eye. 

The new BMW 1 series looks way too high to me - almost like half way to a soft roader

The Merc sedans look ridiculous with their droopy bums - they have for the last 15 or 20 years...

Give me an Audi any day for the styling.

hmmm so someone just bought the last new m140i in the country ...

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/last-australia-bmw-m140i-sold?f

MOTOR

Someone just bought the last new BMW M140i in the country

By Chris Thompson, 17 Apr 2020 News

Last-Australia-BMW-M140i-sold-news.jpg

If you wanted to buy a new BMW M140i, you’re too late. MOTOR reader Scott Tye bought the last one.

Yep, the final new BMW M140i in the country has been sold, so you’d better hit up the classified listings if you missed out.

The 250kW/500Nm, turbocharged straight six-powered hot hatch was sold by Sydney BMW dealership Sylvania BMW, which MOTOR has since confirmed with BMW Australia as the last new M140i.

BMW-M140i-engine.jpg

“My wife bought a M125i while I had a Golf GTI Original,” Tye told us.

“I loved her car but wanted a bit more, the M140i’s reputation is truly correct. So I searched and found the last one at Sylvania BMW. I will have it to the grave I reckon. It’s just a weekend car.”

If you’re not colour-blind, you’ll notice the last car was red (and now you’ve no excuse even if you are), but you might be wondering what gearbox it has.

Last-Australia-BMW-M140i-garage.jpg

“Auto, I had no choice, but if I had a choice it would have been the ZF. My GTI was manual and I was disappointed. 

“Make the car do all the work I say! But [you can use] Sport+ and use the paddles if you want or need that manual feel.”

Obviously, now’s not the time to be out driving for the sake of it, unfortunately meaning Tye hasn’t had much of a chance to really experience the M140i. He says he’s “not really driven [it hard] yet, still keeping it under 4000rpm and running it in.”

We know from experience there’s a lot of fun to be had in that car, hopefully its ‘last first’ owner gets to find out for himself sometime soon.

good luck to him, he'll be smiling like Al & do every day :)

by way guys... looks like a new map is out ... just downloaded earlier pop on a usb...

did loose my bimmercoded bits which had to pop back on... which not too much bother.

not sure what new map and things bring... apart from just general update. 

On 08/05/2020 at 8:55 PM, betty boop said:

by way guys... looks like a new map is out ... just downloaded earlier pop on a usb...

did loose my bimmercoded bits which had to pop back on... which not too much bother.

not sure what new map and things bring... apart from just general update. 

where from Al? thanks.

Just now, agelessgoodguy said:

where from Al? thanks.

hi ageless sign in below, will need your vin,

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.com.au/app/index.html#/portal

go to remote cockpit

select the control tab...

scroll down to map update and hit the map update button, which takes to downloading a bmw map updater thing. will need a fat32 usb 4GB + 

have that plugged in and it will download some files on it,

with car ignition on, just plug the usb in the centre console (armrest) and just let it do its thing :) takes a couple of minutes...