christosd

BMW M135i - M140i

53 minutes ago, agelessgoodguy said:

I grabbed the 50% deal too, now I have a choice of three GPS systems Haha.

make that 4.... there also Waze... can download the app

not that i use it, but  its there :D 

What have BMW done on their new 135i.

dumped their long rear wheel drive heritage and copied VW all wheel drive.

Not sure if the Hyundai designer has been moonlighting at BMW, but gotta say underwhelmed at the new style.     And they put on a Hyundai grill - wtf??   Can you actually fit a proper BMW grill?

2019-bmw-m135i-xdrive.jpg

2019-bmw-m135i-xdrive.jpg

Yeah, well copy the best 🙂

That and the reality of everyone moving to hybrid/electric in the near future.

It is a quicker than the 140i, straight line and in the twisty bits but like most BM's overpriced as you can get an AMG A45S for not that much more money.

If the AWD system is anything like the M5 its way better than the VW setups.

With the power in these things nowadays, traction and grip is the bigger issue.

The new A45 looks amazeballs

12 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

If the AWD system is anything like the M5 its way better than the VW setups.

With the power in these things nowadays, traction and grip is the bigger issue.

The new A45 looks amazeballs

It is full time AWD so better than a Haldex system but it's front biased with a maximum of 50% going to the rear rather than the usual xDrive with it's 60:40 split and the ability to send the power anywhere.  You do get an LSD but only in the front. So not that different or better than VW. The AWD drive system in the new Yaris makes all the Europeans look a tad stupid.

Grip is always an issue.

It sure does

17 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

Yeah, well copy the best 🙂

That and the reality of everyone moving to hybrid/electric in the near future.

It is a quicker than the 140i, straight line and in the twisty bits but like most BM's overpriced as you can get an AMG A45S for not that much more money.

I'm not sure it is quicker than 140 on road actually. 

Edited by christosd

5 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

It is full time AWD so better than a Haldex system but it's front biased with a maximum of 50% going to the rear rather than the usual xDrive with it's 60:40 split and the ability to send the power anywhere.  You do get an LSD but only in the front. So not that different or better than VW. The AWD drive system in the new Yaris makes all the Europeans look a tad stupid.

Grip is always an issue.

It sure does

Pretty sure its a Haldex. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_xDrive

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/bmw-1-series-officially-revealed

Plus its getting the Toyota Camry 8 speed.

3 hours ago, christosd said:

It’s not :D but why let facts get in way :D

3 hours ago, christosd said:

You could be right. Down on power and slightly heavier (how?) but on our dirty roads and especially in the wet you'd probably benefit from the extra grip.

8 minutes ago, betty boop said:

It’s not :D but why let facts get in way :D

" On the road, in the real world, though, Watson reckons the new BMW M135i is likely a bit quicker. Thanks to its new all-wheel drive system that’s mostly front-biased, it feels a bit more stable and is easier to drive quickly through corners. While the old car is a bit more tail-happy and more of a hooligan. That’s hilarious good fun but it’s not as quick. "

I've seen a couple in gear and on road comparisons that prove what an extra 50Nm and better transmission calibration of the '40 has to offer. 

To be honest, if you are causing a "40 to be too tail happy, then I'd argue that isn't the fastest way to drive it,albeit more fun of course. 

I should state that I don't own an m140, but just an old 135...... 

Edited by christosd

49 minutes ago, christosd said:

I've seen a couple in gear and on road comparisons that prove what an extra 50Nm and better transmission calibration of the '40 has to offer. 

To be honest, if you are causing a "40 to be too tail happy, then I'd argue that isn't the fastest way to drive it,albeit more fun of course. 

I should state that I don't own an m140, but just an old 135...... 

not struggling with stability or traction here ... just a m140i owner ...

agree also in a modern car I’d struggling for Grip or traction Prob best look at driving style first :)

5 hours ago, christosd said:

you'll like this one @christosd racechips insights. these guys familiar with m140i and worked hard to get the m135i faster....

overall its pretty obvious they still like the old m140i more...

having seen the new m135i sport edition and in the metal, I can say without hesitation it actually looks pretty decent inside and out. I dont personally like the steering wheel. and overall I still like the older m140i styling and more classic inside. eg real gauges hybrid digital dash and such. but I dont agree with the ugly duckling calls on the new m135i

i think would be a hard time if were buying a new car now. am so glad i got what i did when i did. we have some ageing platforms otherwise in choice in VW and audi which for moment are probably better choices too vs what are likely interim new editions ....whcih dont look that far ahead that models before. merc and say this as a previous merc owner have not taken the a250 that far ahead...infact its quite tuned back and bland plain vanilla vs the version of old. its been done to fit the A35 in the range but its expensive for what it is ... as is the a45 new model which has moved up significantly up the ranks... id no way in any right mind be comparing cars we are talking here with a45 !  a35 audi s3 and golf R are typical comparisons done. each with their own strengths and weakness :) 

We picked up an M135 just before Christmas. 

Fantastic car for the city. Excellent tech, super grippy with FWD bias making it very nippy and a very responsive 4 cylinder engine. But best of all, the cabin feels HUGE for a BMW this size (advantage of the engine layout and FWD bias I assume) and the cabin quality is very good. Having owned many BMWs, I skipped the last couple of generations but they are back in a very good way with the current generation of cabins in the 1 and 3 series. 

It is no purists car and if you like RWD power delivery (I do), then you’ll be deeply disappointed, but I think BMW will sell heaps give the combination of tech, cabin comfort, grip and power. 

The other half wanted a smaller car so she moved from a Macan Turbo to the M135 and she is very happy. Her only complaint is no automatic tailgate! 

As to looks... I don’t mind it at all in blue, but suspect it will not age well. 

@alistairm interesting thoughts re past bmws vs current :) indeed while I have mine and instead if we’re buying now gosh we are but pushed on choice. If wasn’t for rwd factor and gosh am just loving that ... and if could forgo I’d probably go m135i current as well. Or throwing in a35 as choice ...It’s overall package ..... look can nit pick anything and if did wouldn’t buy anything.

if sticking with rwd gosh I don’t know what else would get ? Probably one of bmw coupe ? They are more expensive and space in rear and boot just wouldn’t suit me now ? But later years maybe ? 

if could get away with a convertible 2seat only there are some great rwd options there too ..,

ps blue certainly seems the in colour for moment ... mine is blue too ... how holds up over time is anyone’s guess ! :D

It is no purists car and if you like RWD power delivery (I do), then you’ll be deeply disappointed, but I think BMW will sell heaps give the combination of tech, cabin comfort, grip and power. 

I am sure they will sell lots, they know what most consumers want... awd helps with 0-60 times that means everything right?

For me if I had 50k to spend on a car, I'd stick with the original and do what BMW should have done :) ..  S65 goodness just can't e beat.. 

Love the power curve too...

m3-v8-hp.gif.2013c3cb4982c74f474978cb6ba6c4ed.gif

55 minutes ago, murrmax said:

I am sure they will sell lots, they know what most consumers want... awd helps with 0-60 times that means everything right?

For me if I had 50k to spend on a car, I'd stick with the original and do what BMW should have done :) ..  S65 goodness just can't e beat.. 

Love the power curve too...

thats one crazy car ! I remember when they were looking for a donor car and first one was done ! 

definitely seems excellent what ended up with 

the std b58 straight six is pure cream though revs so clearly to 7,500 rpm and as the tuners said in video earlier can take some killer tunes... not that really needs it I reckon....what can do as is more than enough for me, and more would jsut be pushing the envelope(for me) I reckon ! 

anyways fantastic basis these cars...I think posted in this thread talking to the guy at southernbm they said they couldn't believe the cult status the m135i/m140i taken on ! completely cannot believe, hence why bought one of their own...see why they could do with it themselves :) 

the B58, N54,N55 are all good too, any BMW i6 is actually;  RWD 1 series will be future classics there's nothing quite like them..the new 135 is good no doubt but sought after future classic by drivers probably not..

Perhaps BMW will do an  M155 with the S55 engine and M3 bits, can only hope it's on the drawing board..    

Did your M135i/M140is come with run flats? Did you have to do anything differently if you then changed to regular tires?

Thinking of swapping out the runflats for some Pilot Sport 4 

Looking at getting one of those solar/battery tyre pressure monitors and maybe a cigarette lighter powered air pump

34 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

Did your M135i/M140is come with run flats? Did you have to do anything differently if you then changed to regular tires?

Typically don’t come with run flats

michelin pilot super sports were standard figment. I love mine.

i believe there was a run out of 2017 ? Series that they did with 2 sets .wheels one with pirelli run flats and 19s other sets the original pilot super sports on 18s. 

the pirrelli’s have atrocious rep for lack of grip, being quite tetchy in handling. Mainly due poor ride.

once they cleared the 2017 the lci2 model came out with mich pilot super sports again.

the ps4 its lates gen of the mich pilots. Some like them for both wear and grip in cold I believe. Might be cheaper that pilot super sports.

if can get them for rim size and tread width the ps4S is the one to get !!! That is clearly step up from pilot super sports 

Yeah but there isnt PS4S in 18s :(. Does the new M140i come with a tyre repair kit and inflator?

Edited by DoggieHowser

25 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

Yeah but there isnt PS4S in 18s :(. Does the new M140i come with a tyre repair kit and inflator?

M135i before and m140i after both cave with kit.

was just thinking if had those horrid pirellis the ps4s on 19s would be obvious !

i saw someone talking of 18s on ps4s but didn’t get to bottom of how got them !

10 hours ago, betty boop said:

was just thinking if had those horrid pirellis the ps4s on 19s would be obvious !

i saw someone talking of 18s on ps4s but didn’t get to bottom of how got them !

Try this test/review. 

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Auto-Bild-Sports-Car-Tyre-Test.htm