christosd

BMW M135i - M140i

32 minutes ago, murrmax said:

I guess that means naturally aspirated goodness, instant power response and linear power delivery, manual with RWD... preferably with a soundtrack that comes from the engine not the speakers :)

Mind you an electric BMW could well be my next car in a few years time..

In term of new release vehicles that combination is a unicorn...

I have driven all sorts of turbo cars for most of my life. My Beemer does not have any lag to speak of. I think most modern,  high static cylinder compression ratio / low blow cars like the 135 have the lag thing nailed. 

I have Instrmented my car and the dual scroll turbo pitches in with 3-4psi at 1100 rpm and only peaks at about 9psi higher up the rev range.

It's like the turbo is always there so the engine can respond to the torque demand of the throttle instantly.  

Compare that with 0 psi at 1500rpm and 22 psi at 3500 rpm for my modified subie .. That.... Was laggy... 

A friends ae86 is a very nice version of atmo rear wheel drive formula though and is still the benchmark for cheap fun IMO. 

Edited by christosd

15 hours ago, christosd said:

I have driven all sorts of turbo cars for most of my life. My Beemer does not have any lag to speak of. I think most modern,  high static cylinder compression ratio / low blow cars like the 135 have the lag thing nailed. 

I have Instrmented my car and the dual scroll turbo pitches in with 3-4psi at 1100 rpm and only peaks at about 9psi higher up the rev range.

It's like the turbo is always there so the engine can respond to the torque demand of the throttle instantly.  

agree there this is formula of big engine lotsa torque... dont need to wind up the turbo as need with smaller things, this is on tap. no surprise toyota grabbed engine drive train combo for their supra :) 

Compare that with 0 psi at 1500rpm and 22 psi at 3500 rpm for my modified subie .. That.... Was laggy... 

unfortunately engine that lacked mid punch didnt help :)

A friends ae86 is a very nice version of atmo rear wheel drive formula though and is still the benchmark for cheap fun IMO. 

toyobaru 86 ? agree like id get it if rear seats were not as useless as those on fiat 500 i had :D 

cousin had a current gen mx5 ... this even in base guise :) or if wanting what is even better in turbo its the fiat 124 this is example of again how turbo adds nicely ... id have this too... but no seats at all in the back :D  

In term of new release vehicles that combination is a unicorn...

true...the 2 best hot hatches ever and 2 of the best bmw engines too..imho

so what do you think? me? its the older girl still......... but its interesting to see the way BM's heading.....

4 hours ago, agelessgoodguy said:

Nice update of thread title Al, thank you.

Yes. Definitely the right thing to do. 

@GregWormald. Why wouldn't you play on Shepherds Hill Road today? :)

Edited by christosd

12 hours ago, christosd said:

@GregWormald. Why wouldn't you play on Shepherds Hill Road today? :)

1. Car was cold, I'd only been going for a minute or two.

2. I can't afford a ticket or to lose my license.😀

3. Playing like that just isn't me.🙄

Just now, GregWormald said:

1. Car was cold, I'd only been going for a minute or two.

2. I can't afford a ticket or to lose my license.😀

3. Playing like that just isn't me.🙄

Yes, it isnt like me much either actually..  I havent had a speeding ticket in 10 years. The problem was I had my teenage son in the car and he said that he really like the look of the Yellow Porsche as it cruised along (before I told him it was yours).  At risk of losing my son to the 'wrong part of Germany', I felt compelled to nail it in 2nd and 3rd to re-establish my lesson to him about turbo 6 torque.

15 hours ago, agelessgoodguy said:

so what do you think? me? its the older girl still......... but its interesting to see the way BM's heading.....

I don't like the styling on the new M135i, especially the front but it's probably the better car or at least the reviewer thought so based on how it drives. Open the bonnet and it looks just like something made by V A G and max 50% rear split drive is just like Audi/Golf.

Edited by ArthurDent

2 hours ago, christosd said:

At risk of losing my son to the 'wrong part of Germany', I felt compelled to nail it in 2nd and 3rd to re-establish my lesson to him about turbo 6 torque.

You might need to be careful with that and a 718. Car & Driver tests have revealed that the base 718 is at least .5 seconds faster 0-60 mph than Porsche claims!😃

1 hour ago, GregWormald said:

You might need to be careful with that and a 718. Car & Driver tests have revealed that the base 718 is at least .5 seconds faster 0-60 mph than Porsche claims!😃

Yes, that's why I like the 1/2 mile comparison....To be honest, I'd prefer Stuttgart if I could shove a drum kit in the boot and couldnt afford Macan

guys if looking for apple car play looks like bmw is also having a black friday sale 

50% off !  this deal comes around now and then, I grabbed last time around and this includes the unlimited for life version.

grab while can not sure how long lasts :) 

this is via bmw connected website

Thanks Al!!

Decided to get it finally. Tested it on the Mini I had for a loan car and it was just brilliant.

34 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

How long does it take to activate CarPlay?

I dont know doggie, i just got them to activate when i dropped it in the service, even though paid for it online :) am pretty sure it over the air ? so likely related to network and their server etc. dont really know to answer :)

Ah. The email said it would send a notification when it was activated 

Monday rolled along - no email.

So I used the Connected feature in the infotainment unit to speak to a real person. They said to go to Connected Media. Press the Option button and choose Update

DOH

Carplay downloaded.

Needed to delete my current BT pairing - but once I deleted and paired the 2 again, VOILA CarPlay.

Not having a touchscreen on the 2017 makes it a little bit cumbersome but it would have been difficult to drive AND reach over to use the touchscreen anyway

On 05/12/2019 at 9:29 AM, RockandorRoll said:

Never mind 50% off CarPlay, the US has it for free now, im sure Aus wont be far behind.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/04/bmw-free-apple-carplay/?guccounter=1

Obviously they came to their senses.

its certainly free for new models. :) 

the previous gen stuff you still need to pay the minimum subscription to have for life.... :) its not automatically for free :)

the new m135i for sure will be free apple car play. not sure the bmw Z4 cloned toyota Zupra will also get it for life for free...as initially they were only enabling it for 3 years or something but atleast the bonus was with the bmw system being wireless :)

On 05/12/2019 at 8:29 AM, RockandorRoll said:

Never mind 50% off CarPlay, the US has it for free now, im sure Aus wont be far behind.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/04/bmw-free-apple-carplay/?guccounter=1

Obviously they came to their senses.

Damn I was going to get a Fiesta ST and put a sticker on the BMW that said "My other car has Apple Carplay for free" 

😂

Wow, no more charging for CarPlay. Next thing you know you'll be able to use Android Auto 😉

dont need it or expect it on the m140i but new gen m135i will be coming with the android auto option ... but only for select phones. no cost like car play....

https://www.caradvice.com.au/813617/google-android-auto-bmw/?fbclid=IwAR0SKTLAICFK-HtrMUnDZSHAYjfXsoM5LcemKvhoVMKfMl7cwHhAV3xFghY