Sign in to follow this  
christosd

BMW M135i - M140i

Given a definite lack of Aussie Baby M / BMW forums around I thought Id try to kick off something here.  After owning quite a few modified cars over the years I decided on yet another approach to beating the Adelaide Hills Golf R collective (...duck for cover:P

A 1.5 locked LSD in a modded 200SX for nutty corner exits before kids were born, STI running-geared Forester GT for when the kids needed prams,  Stealthily-modded Ralliart Lancer for when I got sick of manually actuated clutches and kids needed a taxi.  All previous cars were a significant match for most other vehicles twice their price and my minimum requirement to pull away from Golf R32/R's respectively were all satisfied by the above. For the last month now I have owned a low mileage M135i. All justified now that the kids do high school physics and understand what  450Nm from just off idle  at 1350 rpm flatly held all the way to 4500rpm feels like from the passenger seat.  I dont think it needs more than 5 gears but it has 8. Getting back to RWD has been a hoot (in the dry) and I dare say I would have to tip the hat to R's in the wet but having that lag free instant crack of a mid blow turbo 3ltr six is why I chose it.

I know of a few lurking in SNA-land. Does anyone want to share ownership experience, tyre choices, i-drive upgrades, brake pad choices , reliability problems  etc?

I don't have the same engine but I do have the F20 LCI 125i

Some minor niggles - hard to get into the front seats. The front doors are surprisingly narrow. So the seat is actually behind the B pillar.

The brakes do have stopping power but they do really bite hard only when you are about 40-50% down. In the past, I've always bled the brake fluids so I get a more instant bite. But from the last Porsche track day, the instructor said a technique used in rear wheel drive cars is the need to modulate the brake pressure more, particularly with 911s. So maybe that's the rationale.

My precious rides have always been FWD or AWD.

I find these brakes bite very hard. Sorry about the brake dust. :wacko:

IMAG0905.thumb.jpg.2461342a7d300b82fa17c740408e2020.jpg

@agelessgoodguy I think he has given the 135i a pretty good run down to comment :)

I've only had a short drive in one, and passenger another time. 

nice everyday driving cars... come well loaded up and likely better value than say 125i loaded up with options....

Actually the 125 M Sport is pretty decent spec-ed now. Comes standard with the same M Sports brakes. M Sports suspension but non adjustable. Better deal street price than the GTI Performance.

It was another 20k for the 140i

Was almost tempted to get the 140i M Performance pack but I'd want the manual with the LSD. But that wouldn't have worked with the missus. [emoji51]

20k is a lot for just the extra power I suppose. The 125 and gti performance is an interesting comparison not often spoke of but make could make real sense in a daily driver. 

In a daily sense, my biggest complaint, other than cr@p "hifi" audio option, is the drivers seat egress. I'm not tall  but when I have my seat set low, it is a bit tricky to get out without banging steel caps around the lower doors. It is much better with seat set higher and not tilted as far back. 

Mt favourite thing a the moment is the trans calibration in auto S mode. It sits beautifully at just over 2000 rpm and handles lazy throttle stabs with a great kick in the pants without lag, or without significant kick down. Most other cars I have driven are calibrated to hover around 3000 rpm in sport mode to get any reasonable response which is simply annoying unless you are driving it continuously in a spirited fashion. 

Because I am tight, I bought my 2014 135 for just over 40k from a dealer, with just 19000km, 1 year of factory warranty, and servicing until 2020. The 125s were only 5-6 K cheaper so for me it was s no-brainer. 

Took an m235 for a spin on the weekend.

Such a tail happy car, needs an LSD or something (xDrive like in the States) to help keep traction.

Do want!

Maybe soon... very soon!

'Tail' and 'happy' is often used in the same sentence. 

I agree an lsd would help when in Sport plus mode, but sport mode has this really fun and reassuring characteristic of letting the rear step out just enough to have fun, but reigns in the unexpected yaw angle pretty much in sympathy with the opposite lock a driver would do. Nothing is worse than surprising the driver with a an ASC yaw correction that is counter-intuitive or poorly timed in my opinion. 

My thoughts are that I will only go a Quaife lsd and retune after warranty runs out AND I find that I need to mod it to keep enjoying the car. 

Christos

my wife drives a 2013 2 litre 120i convertible - M sports pack (in blue).  It would be called a 220i now.

I can only wonder what the 135i delivers in power.

When we were test driving, we took a 120i (or was it a 125i) coupe for a drive through the hills - great fun.

Suspension is a bit firm for a couple of 'not so young anymore'.

I agree about the difficulty of ingress/egress from the car.  I get into strife from scuffing the side shelfs with my feet when getting out.

That said, the boot is surprisingly good - fits a set of golf clubs without real problems (remove the driver from the bag, and the clubs fit straight in).

Benje

How fast are you guys driving to break traction??

I have a few nice deserted roundabouts on my morning commute and it was easy getting the little Fiesta ST to break traction on those. The 125i M Sport - have not been able to do it consistently - even in Sport + mode. 

I am kinda worried the M2 will have an even higher limit... 

Sport Mode (left TCS on for my safety)....

Full throttle joining a freeway, the rear end wanted to squirm and get away.

I only had ~30 mins in the car but it was most certainly enjoyable.

Supposedly Southern BM can provide your BMW with upgrades (Quaife LSD and Tune) without voiding warranty.

I'd also look at M Performance Exhaust for the snap, crackle and pops, as well as M3/4 lower control arms to try and assist with the camber.

300kw+ and a 12 second 1/4 mile seems very easily achievable with these fun beasts.

Edited by fury

We have an equivalent in ADL to Southern BM called Eastside Automotive.  Although he doesnt use the JB4 piggy back, he does a reflash of the original ECU to 550Nm and 280kW but I take these kinds of claims with a grain of salt initially until I learn more.  I think I will only go down that path if I can see a good continuous plot of A/F ratios, Boost levels and Air Intake temps along with dyno results from an Aussie M135 that has been done by them. Then I would probably make a decision as to what boost I want to hold and for how long.  Importantly, the forgotten element of exhaust gas temp is the unit of measure I would be most interested in but I dont think that is featured on the bmw sensor set (? I havent actually checked yet).  It is exhaust gas temp and catalytic converter Life/operation that is a major controlling factor as to why factory ECU tunes are sometimes so conservative to begin with and I would like to factor in some of that conservatism into my long term ownership experience.

I remember seeing someone (on very sticky track) managed 12.98 with a standard m135i so 'well into the 12's' is what I would expect after mods :-).

4 minutes ago, christosd said:

I remember seeing someone (on very sticky track) managed 12.98 with a standard m135i so 'well into the 12's' is what I would expect after mods :-).

I recall this as well, a stock car doing 12.8-12.9.

They later tuned their vehicle (not a piggy back system, also with exhaust and intake iirc), and hit 12 seconds flat.

This was a gentleman in Sydney if my  memory serves correctly.

If the stock exhaust sounds this good... I wouldn't even bother changing it (this is on the 140 though)

I guess I should try to give it more gas on the motorway one day. My morning commutes have been on back roads (hence deserted) :P

FWIW Sport+ doesn't disengage traction control. 

It's like pressing the Traction Control button but not holding it down. 

That switches to a Dynamic Traction mode which allows more play in the rear tyres - while keeping chassis/engine in Comfort mode. You should see the Traction Off light come on - but also the words TRACTION in the area with the fuel consumption bar. 

In Sport mode, it keeps the standard traction control on but switches the chassis/engine response to Sport mode.

Sport + keeps the engine/chassis in Sport mode, but relaxes traction control to dynamic traction mode. 

You only lose traction control when you hold down the Traction Control button. 

On 20/06/2017 at 6:51 AM, christosd said:

In a daily sense, my biggest complaint, other than cr@p "hifi" audio option 

I know this is a stereo forum but I found that dealing up the bass/treble up a few clicks up made the sound more listenable. 

But if you have that straight six exhaust note.. why bother getting the Harmon Kardon? :)

Yep. I just dropped in to AVDC (one of @Marc's commercial sponsors over at the car audio sister site to SNA. Some improvements to daily transit audio coming up via speakers and minor tweaks to tweeter position. Stereo is off when I drive to hear the engine and on when I don't want to hear the passengers.