Sub with Amp or no Amp

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for allowing me to join your forum.

I currently own a Krix Seismix 7 Sub which has its own Amp built in

I also have a Bryston 8BST 4 Ch Amp ( 120W rms per Ch ), so I could use 2 Ch for my L + R rears and then bridge the last 2 Ch to power the Seismix 7 Sub 

Im not going to have a centre speaker in my new set up, just Main L + R, Rears L + R & Sub 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Gday Dave and welcome! What speakers are you using? My thoughts would be to perhaps, if possible, biamp your front speakers with the Bryston and leave the sub self powered.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Grizzly,

Thanks & thanks for your reply.

I have a Bryston 2 Ch powering a pair of krix Esoterix II Mk II ( I believe these might be the only pair they actually made of these )

I have also a Bryston 4 Ch to power the 2 rears leaving 2 Ch spare...

My thoughts are that seeing the Krix Seismix 7 Sub has L + R Speaker terminals on the back that maybe the bridged 2 Ch of my Bryston might do a better job ...

I currently have a Dynaudio Centre Speaker but will need to sell it as it wont fit in to our new room layout.

Thanks, Dave

I think (though I could be wrong) that the speaker level inputs on the sub will reduce the signal to a line level, erm, level and then feed it through the internal amp, this negating any benefit of the probably superior Bryston. You're selling the Krix?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As @Grizzly  says above. Also there may be EQ and servo feedback protection circuits built into the sub amp to tune the response and protect the speaker driver from over excursion. I can see no advantage in what you propose, only problems.