Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Hi folks,

I'd like to highlight one new product coming to the market, not as technologically advanced and flawless solution money can buy but as high quality product for very attractive price, for those looking to upgrade their gear or as second solution, not sure what AUD price will be but as mentioned in below PFM forum thread this little beast will highly benefit from clean PSU

specs and price: http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=s2-line&lang=en

some info and pictures from the project designed by J.W. (ex Audiolab) and very talented local guy: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201691

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes interesting - but does anybody know where you can get it here in Aus and the price?

Amazon has it for $399.00 but will not ship to Australia:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Pre-Box-S2-Digital/dp/B073WCRZ79

I have zero doubt it will find its way to Australia some time or another - interesting to see what price it is here.

Thanks

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Australian distributor for Pro-Ject is Interdyn.  I emailed and asked when would S2 be available; response below:

The S2 Digital will be available in the coming months, but we don't have a firm date or price yet. Keep an eye on the Pro-Ject AU Facebook page for updates, and I'd also recommend contacting your Pro-Ject dealer to register your interest so they can let you know when it's available.

I have found the S2 available on eBay from a German source, about AUD530 with postage ~AUD40.  No idea what Oz retail prices will be.

Edited by blairy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm just about to commit to one of these as a short term solution for my newly-acquired Roon Nucleus (which will eventually connect direct to a set of Kii Three active speakers via USB).

Seems this little unit punches well above its weight and price point so looking forward to grabbing one soon!

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:29 AM, astormsau said:

Let us know your thoughts when you get it as I’m keen to know how these perform emoji106.png

Got this hooked up last night via USB (using 0.8m Curious Cable) to my Roon Nucleus. Early days, but I'm loving it! What an amazing little box this is - I reckon if they were $1,000 I'd still be chuffed with price v performance. A greater sense of space and the ability to "see" into the music. Tidal HiFi is really impressive and of course this unit plays nice with MQA.

Only gripe, every now and then I noticed some digital white noise at the start of a track which would subside and reduce in volume to nothing over the course of about 5 seconds(seemed to only affect DSD64 tracks and couldn't be replicated by playing same song again).

Pictures incoming.

• Like 1

First impressions: You think you have a pretty good idea how small it is based on your internet research but its much much smaller than expected. The sound? How did they do it? Full, layered, detailed after only an hour in use. Installation is straight forward other than the installation disc having no markings. Seems to need a firmware update which I'll figure out. Very pleased. Like most other owners wish they had spent a few more dollars on the power supply and micro usb connection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, djmt said:

First impressions: You think you have a pretty good idea how small it is based on your internet research but its much much smaller than expected. The sound? How did they do it? Full, layered, detailed after only an hour in use. Installation is straight forward other than the installation disc having no markings. Seems to need a firmware update which I'll figure out. Very pleased. Like most other owners wish they had spent a few more dollars on the power supply and micro usb connection.

Understand what you mean about the PSU. In my case however it gets it power from my Roon Nucleus via USB (which I never turn off) so I don't have to suffer the poor supply or the socket that accommodates it. I think the latest FW is 2.12, which is what mine came supplied with.

57 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Understand what you mean about the PSU. In my case however it gets it power from my Roon Nucleus via USB (which I never turn off) so I don't have to suffer the poor supply or the socket that accommodates it. I think the latest FW is 2.12, which is what mine came supplied with.

Turns out it came with the latest firmware so I'm set there. I also decided to give usb powered a go and heard no difference and it also allows it to power down. It was actually your positive comments that got me over the line on the purchase. I figured if you were suitably impressed given your experience in the field I would give it a go. Good reviews are one thing, voting with your own cash another. Thanks for the nudge.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Love my Project S2, have no desire to change it out. Have had previously meridian explorer, Klein 1 and Klein 2 dacs and not saying that this is superior but not feeling I am missing anything either, with the prices dropping I may get another one

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I demo'd one at Audio Experts (Whatmough) in Clayton/Melbourne

Lot's of clarity and detail, a bit on the bright side compared to Chord Mojo,  not better/worse just different.

I was using Beyer DT1990 cans which are 250 Ohm so I think the headphone amp section might have struggled a bit (same applied with the Mojo I demoed)

Easily worth the reasonable asking price, and lined out to a dedicated headphone amp would be sublime I reckon!

You guys who all have this unit seem to be pretty impressed with it. I’ve got a Yamaha WXC50 which is a semi decent player, but the DAC lacks warmth and body. 

I’ve been trying to save for a Chord or Gieseler DAC, obviously both more expensive and I’m really hating on the yam; however this DAC has become a very attractive now. Will probably still need to use the yam as a source, but yeah. Will need to keep a look out for a deal.