FS: Marantz CD-42 Audiophile CD Player - Upgraded by Gieseler Audio

Item: Marantz CD-42 Audiophile CD Player - Upgraded by Gieseler Audio
Price: $250
Item Condition: Good :)
Reason for selling: Doing house reno's and recently had a baby girl so clearing out some gear.
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, can post
Extra Info: Marantz CD-42 Audiophile CD Player with Remote. CDM 4-19 Mechanism. Upgraded by Clayton at Gieseler Audio. Detailed sounding CD spinner, Very clean condition, Circuit board and inside looks as new last time I had the top of her.

Pictures:

IMG_20161031_141658.jpg

Edited by Angellus

3 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

what did Clay do to it?

To be honest I don't exactly know. At the time Clay was modding some of the high end CD-91's or 92's ( i think they were the models? ) for guys Like Mike Lenehan and other GC local's who seemed to think they were a killer transport, especially after Clay had done his thing. I picked up the 42 cheap, it was supper clean, I was young dumb and full of cash and asked clay to work his magic. I'm sure he would have told me what he did 7-8 years ago but my memory isn't that good :S I would guess just upgraded caps, resistors etc. I think at the time I paid clay $250 for the work. > If you are serious about purchasing I can make a call and see if Clay himself would remember, or maybe if we are lucky - I can take the top off and make a stop into Clay's workshop of audio wizardry and mysticism and see if I can drag him away from his particle accelerator for 5 minutes..... but I know his usually busy accelerating Flac and DSD files to 99.99999% of the speed of light working tirelessly trying to find the "audiophile particle" to stick in his next gen DAC's :D

• Like 4

Sorry but I've beaten Clay to the "Audiophile Particle".

It's smaller than the quark, looks like dark matter, but the most astounding realisation I made was, after putting together my second stereo system, it turns out to be exactly the same size as my wallet.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, kelossus said:

Take the lid off and snap some pictures.

I tried.. but apparently Clay accidentally installed a black hole... all the photos came out black, or startlingly a few showed the hot dog I had for lunch last Thursday :S

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

OK this was a fair while ago but I’m fairly certain this is the mods/upgrades that were done.

Main digital & analogue PSU sections.

Replacement of the bridge rectifier diodes with low switching noise Schottky types.

All filter capacitors replaced with Panasonic FC’s & values increased.

Main clock

The simple crystal setup was replaced with a Vlabs low jitter clock module running from a new seperate PSU

At the same time I usually did a basic mechanical service - clean laser & lube meck.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
Spelling

4 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

OK this was a fair while ago but I’m fairly certain this is the mods/upgrades that were done.

Main digital & analogue PSU sections.

Replacement of the bridge rectifier diodes with low switching noise Schottky types.

All filter capacitors replaced with Panasonic FC’s & values increased.

Main clock

The simple crystal setup was replaced with a Vlabs low jitter clock module running from a new seperate PSU

At the same time I usually did a basic mechanical service - clean lasted & lube meck.

Hi Clay

What were your impressions of the Vlabs clock over the standard crystal?

Cheers

Pete

Hi Peter

unfortunately I did all the work in one go so it’s hard to say how much difference just the new clock made.

I did have stock CD 42 which I compared it too & you could easily pick the modified one as sounding better.

Probably four or five years ago now so hard hard to remember all the details.

• 2 weeks later...